Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:32:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Kaepernick wants $20mil to play in AAF
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kaepernick wants $20mil to play in AAF  (Read 1951 times)
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« on: February 15, 2019, 10:12:57 am »

Dude, you're not getting $20mil in the NFL, what makes you think you'll get it in a fledgling league's first season?

Sure, maybe you're better than Sanchez and some other guys that were signed, but they accepted their roles. They 'know' their place (for lack of a better word).

You want $20mil.....Drew Brees is getting approx $23mil next year. You haven't played and even when you were, I'd say most people would agree, you're not on Brees' tier.

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 11:14:07 am »

It's probably a power-play to negotiate for a lesser amount.  But they're not be buying his skill; they'd be buying his controversy, and eyeballs that came with it.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 11:23:04 am »

Nothing  in the article said $20 million per year.  And I would agree he isn’t worth $20 million per year.  But $20 million on a 3 year contract sounds like a very reasonable expectation.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 11:33:40 am »

I went looking and can't find anywhere that says he was looking for $20 mil. Not saying he didn't, just that I can't find any original source. Also..no chance of him making $20 million in the AAF. I don't care how controversial he is. Kaep could get a sex change, be artificially inseminated by Charles Manson and he still couldn't command that kind of salary.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 11:38:46 am »

I went looking and can't find anywhere that says he was looking for $20 mil. Not saying he didn't, just that I can't find any original source. Also..no chance of him making $20 million in the AAF. I don't care how controversial he is. Kaep could get a sex change, be artificially inseminated by Charles Manson and he still couldn't command that kind of salary.

pft.

VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 11:50:15 am »

Here's an ESPN article mentioning it, plus its all over the internet -  USAToday, 247Sports, Washington Post, etc

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/25999702/alliance-american-football-tried-wooing-qb-colin-kaepernick

Either way he could have stayed with SF. He opted out and I think that was in the 15-16mil range.

In 2017 he said he wanted 9-10mil and a chance to start, which i guess works out if its over 2-3 years, but when guys like Sanchez were signed instead of him, they all accepted the back role and 1 year for a chance to get on a roster. Maybe he should have gone that route. Sanchez took 1mil - EJ Manuel took 800,000 - he probably could have gotten more than that.  

Not trying to reboot the debate about him or the situation or whatever. just thought that if I really really really wanted to get back in to something I loved, I would find a way. I think he may just be past it all and then what damage can come from asking for crazy money...

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 11:53:15 am »

Here's an ESPN article mentioning it, plus its all over the internet -  USAToday, 247Sports, Washington Post, etc

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/25999702/alliance-american-football-tried-wooing-qb-colin-kaepernick

Either way he could have stayed with SF. He opted out and I think that was in the 15-16mil range.

In 2017 he said he wanted 9-10mil and a chance to start, which i guess works out if its over 2-3 years, but when guys like Sanchez were signed instead of him, they all accepted the back role and 1 year for a chance to get on a roster. Maybe he should have gone that route. Sanchez took 1mil - EJ Manuel took 800,000 - he probably could have gotten more than that.  

Not trying to reboot the debate about him or the situation or whatever. just thought that if I really really really wanted to get back in to something I loved, I would find a way. I think he may just be past it all and then what damage can come from asking for crazy money...

I don't think it's about money for him.   It's about making a statement.   Money he's got, considering Nike paid him tens of millions to put him in that ad

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 03:03:05 pm »

Kap and Reid settled with NFL today. No details though.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 04:26:33 pm »

Kap and Reid settled with NFL today. No details though.

I was really hoping this would have made it to trial. Not that I really cared about whether Kaepernick won or lost the case.   I was more interested to see what dirt would have come out in discovery.

My guess is the NFL owners have too many skeletons buried in their communications and business dealings that they did not want even half of it to become public.

Even if Kaepernick lost his case… something tells me there was enough evidence within the details that would effectively void the current CBA between the Player’s Union and the Owners… which most likely would have significantly damaged the Owners power position and put the Player’s Union in a stronger position to renegotiate the CBA.

It’s also peculiar that rumors were swirling that there were some internal talks about trying to hire Adam Silver away from the NBA.

A lot of interesting developments here lately. The confidentiality agreement doesn’t make me think Kaepernick was necessarily going to “win” his specific case… but it makes me think they want him to shut up, go away, and definitely don’t want him or his attorney’s to speak on their preliminary findings. Also from a PR perspective the NFL definitely did not want this going to a high profile court trial. Discovery would pretty much destroy the Owner’s power position.

These next couple of weeks should be fun speculation.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:05:14 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 04:50:24 pm »

If he "settled" then it wasn't really about making a statement IMO. I'll have to see what he "settled" for before I make my conclusion but it seems suspect to me right now. Besides ... if he really wanted to play he would have proved it when given the chance. Nothing makes the NFL look worse than him coming in and doing well ... regardless of what his paycheck look like. Dude already has bank so that shouldn't be an issue in his case of being held down by the man.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 04:52:04 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 04:21:52 pm »

The idea of Adam Silver being the commissioner of the NFL - even if the rumor is true - is laughable.  The owners wouldn't be able to fire him fast enough.

If the owners really think the problem is Goodell, they're delusional.  Yes, Goodell is completely incompetent at evaluating any issue of employee conduct (be it player, coach, or executive).  But the real issue is that Goodell is a spineless toadie who is incapable of telling the owners, "The action you want to take right now is a bad idea and will hurt the league."  He is a jumped-up yes man.  There's a reason why he's the only major commissioner who hasn't passed a bar exam.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 11:22:48 am »

According to the Wall Street Journal ... Kap and Eric Reid received far less than what was reported. It looks they got less than 10 million together.

Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid, the NFL stars who alleged the league’s teams colluded to keep them off the field after they led protests during the national anthem, will receive less than $10 million to settle grievances with the league, according to people briefed on the deal.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray