Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:28:56 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Manny Machado breaks the bank
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Manny Machado breaks the bank  (Read 2681 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« on: February 19, 2019, 01:32:44 pm »

Signs with the Padres for $300 million over 10 years.   I'll bet Sunstroke is as happy as a dog in a pile of hamburger meat.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 02:11:15 pm »

I just read about this...a couple of thoughts:

1)Hopefully his attitude won't be a negative for all of the young players the Padres have...and will have shortly (top-rated farm system in MLB).
2) I don't mind the Padres spending money...it's not my money. If the Padres had "traded" for Machado and had to give up some of our awesome young talent, then I wouldn't have been for it.
3) 3B is definitely our biggest position of need, so nice to have that covered.
4) ...and I cannot stress this enough:  FUCK THE DODGERS!

Go Padres!!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 04:46:27 pm »

Looks like Bryce Harper is going to be even richer than Manny Machado when all is said and done.  He just signed a 13 year deal with Philly

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:42:31 pm »

You know, I was a big proponent of both of these guys getting paid. I know sports are a business but unlike other businesses, the goal should be Winning first and Profits second. After seeing my Yankees pass on these guys and Patrick Corbin, I was furious and knew they would regret it.

Well, Manny is really screwing up big time here with the season he is having. I was all but certain that the players would strike over how long his contract took and the lack of suitors, I thought it was collusion. Now? The owners look to be correct and the players just lost a shit load of leverage.

Bryce Harper was bad too almost the whole season but has been on a tear the past month. Still not where he should be for his contract but it's a lot more respectable than what Machado has done.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 07:49:13 pm »

The problem with baseball is that contracts are 100% guaranteed.   A player should never be able to sign that long of a  contract because who knows what can happen?   The Yankees didn't pursue those guys because they learned their lessons with A-Rod, CC, and Texeira.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 08:54:33 pm »

Texeira.

oh come on .. it's not like you can just copy and paste the correct spelling .. shesh
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 10:16:59 am »

The problem with baseball is that contracts are 100% guaranteed.   A player should never be able to sign that long of a  contract because who knows what can happen?   The Yankees didn't pursue those guys because they learned their lessons with A-Rod, CC, and Texeira.

I can forgive Manny and Harper, but they went with Happ over Corbin just because of money. No argument can be made from a baseball standpoint that Happ is a better pitcher and this may go down as one of the worst moves the franchise has ever made or didn't make. Especially if they get eliminated due to their pitching.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 09:28:56 pm »

The problem with baseball is that contracts are 100% guaranteed.   A player should never be able to sign that long of a  contract because who knows what can happen?
How many fired coaches and GMs are still collecting paychecks?  Manny Machado is contributing more to the Padres than Chip Kelly is contributing to the 49ers, Todd Bowles is contributing to the Jets, or Mike Tannenbaum is contributing to the Dolphins.

It is silly to think that we need to save GMs from offering 10-year contracts to Manny Machado, but not owners from offering 10-year contracts to Jon Gruden.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:32:04 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 10:45:00 pm »

It is silly to think that we need to save GMs from offering 10-year contracts to Manny Machado, but not owners from offering 10-year contracts to Jon Gruden.

It's silly to think we need to save both.   No contract should be guaranteed.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 10:52:50 am »

It's silly to think we need to save both.   No contract should be guaranteed.
I disagree. Just like any other employee I think player contracts should be whatever the player can negotiate.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 10:56:39 am »

No contract should be guaranteed.
Do you believe that pro teams are not profitable enough today?

I'm not sure why you feel the problem is that ownership isn't keeping enough money now, and needs to be able to claw more of it back from bad hiring decisions.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 12:53:06 pm »

Do you believe that pro teams are not profitable enough today?

I'm not sure why you feel the problem is that ownership isn't keeping enough money now, and needs to be able to claw more of it back from bad hiring decisions.

When it comes to politics I am Mel Gibson from The Patriot, but when it comes to sports I make Karl Marx look like Ronald Reagan. The players deserve all that they can get, especially in the NFL when careers are cut short and stadiums are paid for with taxpayer money. No one is losing money, even the worst franchises turn profits for what is basically a one time purchase. Monopolies practically run themselves, let the owners cry if they make mistakes.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray