Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:19:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Washington DC Trip
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Washington DC Trip  (Read 705 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: March 21, 2022, 12:31:29 pm »

I went with my family - wife and 2 kids - 7 and 10, to Washington DC.  We stayed downtown and did the major things over about 4 days.

Monuments, Ford's Theater, a couple of museums, walked around a lot, and ate at different kids of restaurants.

My kids got the pukes on the last day so the flight home was terrible, but overall it was a great trip.

...great city, too.  Clean, organized, ...felt safe.  Easy to get around, walkable.  Lots of resources to do for little money.  However, food was very expensive.  We pretty much "skimmed" all of the things because my kids' attention spans lead to whining -- and they don't want to eat when there's food, then complain about being hungry when you're doing stuff...someone needs a drink every two minutes or has tired legs...that kind of thing.

But if left to explore as an adult, you could spend a ton of time there.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 01:24:35 pm »

I went to DC a few years back.  There are things to do sure, and it's fun to visit.  $400k condos in the ghetto aren't cool though.  Some parts are a real shit hole.  People were pretty friendly though.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 01:37:23 pm »

I was downtown and I noticed that nothing was seedy at all.  It was all pretty nice and felt safe.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 02:06:49 pm »

There is a lot to do there for very little money, considering the zoo, museums, and memorials are all free admission.   And it is easy to get around if you familiarize yourself with the Metro Transit system.  I took my family there once and we didn't have to rent a car.   Granted, my two younger kids were tired from all the walking but overall, we enjoyed it.  And my wife made sure the kids understood what they were looking at.   Every night at dinner, each kid had to say something they learned based on what they saw that day.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:32:46 am by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 02:23:02 pm »

I always say everyone should visit once. I would like to go again.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 02:35:00 pm »

I love history and as such love DC. I could spend days in Arlington cemetary alone. We've been twice and look forward to going back. We even watched "Night at the Museum II: Battle of the Smithsonian" at the Smithsonian when it was released. Kind of a funny experience.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 02:42:17 pm »

I was downtown and I noticed that nothing was seedy at all.  It was all pretty nice and felt safe.

There are distinct areas.  If you stay in the tourist areas you are fine but walk two blocks in the wrong direction and you will know you are in the hood. Did this by accident in college. Many cities are like this.  Most drastic change I have seen when I crossed (very briefly) from the Jewish Quarter into the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem.  But in NYC you can go from billionaire row to skid row in a couple of blocks.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 08:06:04 pm »

I was in DC with my family the day before Dave. we saw the monuments and went to the Smithsonian American history museum. We stayed in arlington and took a lyft to the national mall, it started snowing when we drove up and during our morning in DC. It was a pit-stop in our drive up to Connecticut for the week. I found the city to be nice, we ate at Nando's (which was good).

On our drive back down to FL, we stopped in philly for lunch (cheesesteaks) and to see the liberty bell, which was also very cool.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray