Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:09:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Parkland High SRO is charged after staying outside during the shooting massacre
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Parkland High SRO is charged after staying outside during the shooting massacre  (Read 2092 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: June 04, 2019, 04:45:39 pm »

I know several of you said there is no duty for officers to help but looks like this guy is going to be held accountable for not helping.

Parkland high school resource officer is charged after staying outside during the shooting massacre that claimed 17 lives

By ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 15:39 EDT, 4 June 2019 | UPDATED: 16:20 EDT, 4 June 2019

The former Florida deputy who failed to confront a gunman during last year's Parkland school massacre has been arrested on 11 criminal charges related to his actions.

Broward State Attorney Mike Satz said in a statement that 56-year-old Scot Peterson faces child neglect, culpable negligence and perjury charges that carry a combined potential prison sentence of nearly 100 years.

Peterson, then a Broward deputy, was on duty as the school resource officer during the February 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School but never went inside while bullets were flying.

The charges follow a 14-month investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, according to that agency.

'The FDLE investigation shows former deputy Peterson did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers and staff and injured 17 others,' FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearingen in an email statement said.

'There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives.'

Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony said Peterson has been formally terminated, although he announced his retirement shortly after the shooting.

'It's never too late for accountability and justice,' Tony said.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:09:59 pm »

Good.  Take away his pension and lock him away for the rest of his life.   When you take the oath of a police officer, you swear to protect and defend innocent lives, even if it costs you your own
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:00:44 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 05:18:24 pm »

Good.  Take away his pension and lock him away for the rest of his life.   When you take the path of a police officer, you swear to protect and defend innocent lives, even if it costs you your own
That's not correct. In light of several SCOTUS rulings, I don't think those charge will or should stick. Cops aren't legally bound to protect people so stuff like child neglect is a non-starter. The Supreme Court has ruled that the police do not have a duty to protect any person from harm. Basically, cops only have to enforce the law and protecting someone from harm isn't required. It's not against the law to be a coward. The perjury charge may and should stick though.

Discounting and ignoring  supreme court rulings of the past just because of public outrage is a slippery slope we don't need to go down. It opens up many doors that shouldn't be opened.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 05:21:59 pm by pondwater » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 05:23:08 pm »

Basically, cops only have to enforce the law and protecting someone from harm isn't required. It's not against the law to be a coward. The perjury charge may stick though.

Putting on my paper lawyer hat .... Allowing an active shooter to continue isn't "engforcing" the law.  With that said I have to believe the FDLE isn't doing this as a publicity stunt because if he goes free they loose any credit given.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 05:37:23 pm »

Putting on my paper lawyer hat .... Allowing an active shooter to continue isn't "engforcing" the law.  With that said I have to believe the FDLE isn't doing this as a publicity stunt because if he goes free they loose any credit given.
We shall see.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 06:33:24 pm »

I doubt anything other than the perjury will stick.  It is well settled law that police can’t be criminally charged for failing to do their job.  The firing (as opposed to being allowed to retire) could stick as well.

As for losing credit.  Nope, new sheriff can still tout how he wants to hold officer accountable, but the courts are the problem.  That ploy happens all the time.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 06:45:34 pm »

I doubt anything other than the perjury will stick.  It is well settled law that police can’t be criminally charged for failing to do their job.  The firing (as opposed to being allowed to retire) could stick as well.

As for losing credit.  Nope, new sheriff can still tout how he wants to hold officer accountable, but the courts are the problem.  That ploy happens all the time.   

If he's fired, does he have to return any pensions payments that he received?

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 09:12:37 am »

I found that charges being filed were very surprising.  It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 09:28:58 am »

This didn't have anything to do with the new Sheriff. It was investigated by the FDLE and they oversee all law enforcement. They are a state-wide investigative law enforcement agency within the state of Florida

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 10:46:40 am »

I am surprised by this outcome, as well.  It doesn't seem like the majority of these charges should stick.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 02:01:19 pm »

A lot of charges will not stick but I feel he is a coward and deserves the public shame of the arrest.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray