Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Repelling heat in your house
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Repelling heat in your house  (Read 4561 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 02:01:08 pm »

My brother custom built a green home out of straw, with mud walls.  The entire thing was designed to be energy efficient from top to bottom.  He shared a lot of the stuff with this site as he built it.  It was his huge project for a few years and we used to talk about the different thing he'd learn during the process.  And lots of the stuff was about misconceptions about efficiency or about stupid ways that we do things just because it's how we've always done it (like putting our air cooling ducts up in the hot ceiling).   That's where I learned this little factoid.

I think of that sometimes and wonder how has that worked out for him. Is he living in the house?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 02:27:01 pm »

But if you reach behind your wooden blinds and the air is hot, that heat is in your house...
Stop right there. You CANNOT reach behind the wood shutters in my house. The wooden shutters are within the frame of the window. The entire thing is enclosed in the window housing. The only heat that escapes is between the wooden slats and the joints. We are talking about heat so little that if you put your hand on the wooden slats you would not feel the heat from the other side. The inside of the wooden slat is as cool to the touch as if you were touching the inside wall of your home. There is almost no heat lost to the inside of the house, it's negligible. My A/C unit is NOT cooling the hot air in between the glass window and the wooden slats, it can't reach it. The air can't fit between the wooden slats to even reach that small pocket of air. Almost ALL of the heat is contained within the window enclosure except for an amount so small it's not worth mentioning. Below is a picture of something similar. These slats all fit very tight and are overlapping so that almost no air escapes. I'm sorry but my A/C is NOT cooling that air. It can't reach that air to cool it. Some of the heat is escaping into the room, but it's extremely small. I'm sorry but I have a house too and I know what I'm talking about as well as I've actually done some research on this topic. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but you are over simplifying it tremendously. You need to do some research on your own and not simply listen to your brother. Surely you can get higher efficiency as well but you are NOT reaching 100% by simply reflecting the UV rays on the outside of your windows, no where NEAR that high. You are misleading people tremendously. Shutters work. I'm sorry that you don't agree, but you and your brother are incorrect.

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/jcpenney-home-faux-wood-plantation-shutters-with-mid-rail-2-panels/pp5003990767?pTmplType=regular&rrec=true&rrplacementtype=product1_rr

I found something that suggests it's even a lot better then what I thought. Go do some research on it.

http://chemung.cce.cornell.edu/resources/energy-saving-window-treatment

From that article and the table at the bottom of it, the type of wooden slats I'm referring to are about 75%-90% effective at reducing heat exchange. Your wall is about 94-96% effective.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:17:15 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 02:28:56 pm »

^ Funny enough, he's not.

Very soon after the move, his work situation changed and he was traveling a ton.  It was kinda incompatible with his green home, because it was far away from the city and was too isolating for his wife, if he was gone a lot.  They moved to a small place within the city, where it was easier for them to get around locally.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 03:20:47 pm »

^ Funny enough, he's not.

Very soon after the move, his work situation changed and he was traveling a ton.  It was kinda incompatible with his green home, because it was far away from the city and was too isolating for his wife, if he was gone a lot.  They moved to a small place within the city, where it was easier for them to get around locally.
Tell the truth Dave, the Big Bad Wolf came over and blew the house in.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 04:08:06 pm »

^ They say it's stronger than concrete block.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 04:09:30 pm »

I found something that suggests it's even a lot better then what I thought. Go do some research on it.

Cool.  I'll check it out and see if I can learn something new.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 12:31:07 pm »

Cool.  I'll check it out and see if I can learn something new.

A friend of mine said that when he divorced his wife it decreased the amount of hot air in his house immensely. 
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 02:01:30 pm »

A friend of mine said that when he divorced his wife it decreased the amount of hot air in his house immensely. 

Holy shit!!!   This had me laughing so hard, I had stomach pains!!!

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 11:50:47 pm »

UPDATE:   All windows both upstairs and down on the west side of my house have been tinted with heat/sunlight repellent tint and the results have been incredible.   No more hot, stuffy afternoons in my bedroom anymore.   I also shelled out $280 for a portable A/C unit and it runs beautifully.   I run it for 4 hours in the afternoon and my bedroom stays cool throughout the night.   Seeing as we are heading into the brutally hot season, I couldn't have timed it any better.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:52:18 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray