Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:43:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Michael Jackson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Michael Jackson  (Read 4275 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: March 10, 2019, 10:35:59 am »

I spent the last couple days watching Leaving Neverland and I was curious if anyone else watched it. I know several members and former members waffled on their opinion of him after he died. I have consistently said I felt he was a scumbag so it didn't really shock me. Has anyone else watched it? Did it cause you to rethink your opinion? Even Cory Feldman is no longer defending him.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 10:59:15 am »

Didn’t see it.  My opinion great musician and a Pedophilia.  I doubt the movie would change my opinion on either count.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 12:34:49 pm »

I wouldn't  call him a musician. I don't think I have seen him with a single instrument but that may just be my lack of knowledge. I have to say I have felt uncomfortable for years if someone plays him on a jukebox. I can't separate the entertainer from the paedophile because it actually supported his ability to con these children and families.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 01:56:38 pm »

I can't separate the entertainer from the paedophile

I can with entertainers.  Bill Cosby’s Noah routine is just as funny even though he is a rapist.  OJ was still the most dominant RB of his era even though he is a murderer.

I can’t with politicians or religious leaders. Clinton’s white house blow job, interfered with his effectiveness as president.  Brett Kavanaugh‘s sexual assault calls into his question his ability to be a fair judge. 

I don’t care that the coach of the patriots cheated on his wife or the owner hired a hooker.  I care that the POTUS did both of those things.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:45:33 pm »

Brett Kavanaugh‘s sexual assault calls into his question his ability to be a fair judge. 
Care to elaborate where and when that was ever proven to be true?

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 03:56:05 pm »

Way to derail the thread already.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 05:09:30 pm »

I wouldn't  call him a musician. I don't think I have seen him with a single instrument but that may just be my lack of knowledge.
He does have keyboard and percussion credits on many of his tracks, but even without that, the lines on an "instrument" are fuzzy when your music composition process is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a4j5Cc-pdw

More importantly, though, I think you're discounting the importance of voice in creating music.  I've never seen Madonna play an instrument, and she's arguably the bestselling female musician of all time.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 04:01:18 am »

Way to derail the thread already.
You're welcome. Anyhow, if someone is going to use examples to support their viewpoint. And those examples are biased. Then you have to question not only their examples, but also their viewpoint as a whole.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25:45 am »

You're welcome. Anyhow, if someone is going to use examples to support their viewpoint. And those examples are biased. Then you have to question not only their examples, but also their viewpoint as a whole.
Not you, Hoodie.  I should have quoted him.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 09:05:12 am »

Other than the couple of made up things ... I agree with Hoodie. MJ's music is a part of my life as well as the Cosby show. I have a really hard time turning away from everything that is associated with people who do despicable things. It's not like we have a personal relationship and it makes a difference.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 09:06:43 am »

I've never liked Michael Jackson all that much to begin with.  I always liked Weird Al's parodies of his songs better.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 09:54:17 am »

I've never liked Michael Jackson all that much to begin with.  I always liked Weird Al's parodies of his songs better.
When Thriller came out ... it created a whole new culture around the music industry and my generation ate it up.  MJ took videos to another level ... not to mention his influence on pop dance moves. A lot of my adolescence revolved around him and I'm not even a dancer.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 05:55:58 pm »

I loved Weird Al.  But Weird Al’s success was at paradies of MJ only proves how much of an icon MJ was.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 11:37:47 am »

I am able to separate the artist from the art in almost all cases.  The only time when that's not true is when there is hypocrisy in the content.  So, I can watch the Cosby Show and be fine with it, but it might be harder for me to watch a Cosby comedy routine about dating, for example.

MJ may be terrible child rapist, but I can still listen to his music without feeling weird about it.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 03:18:18 pm »

I can't separate the two.  It seems to me that you all like his music, so you make an excuse on how you can keep liking the music of a child rapist.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray