Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:04:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Projected salary cap and number of draft picks in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Projected salary cap and number of draft picks in 2020  (Read 2220 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« on: March 15, 2019, 03:50:45 pm »

https://twitter.com/adamhbeasley/status/1106640964850991104?s=12

Including rollover money, Dolphins are projected to have more than $120 million in salary cap space in 2020 plus at least 10 draft picks. Chris Grier doing work.

Shocked

We're building something here boys!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 03:52:52 pm »

All the heavy lifting is going to be done in 2020. Hope he's up to it.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 04:11:55 pm »

This is excellent news, most hope I have had for a very long time with this franchise.

If it were possible, I would advocate for forfeiting every goddamn game in 2019 to ensure that #1 pick. This is why I almost think Blake Bortles is too good and can somehow drag us up to 4 wins. I want to bring back Ray Lucas to lead us.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 04:16:12 pm »

This is excellent news, most hope I have had for a very long time with this franchise.
Unfortunately hope is all there is left for this franchise now. Not sure I'm gonna be able to even stomach watching them in 2019. I haven't felt the roster was this bad since they went 1-15. There's a LOOOONG way to go to just be mediocre now. I'm too old for this shit.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 04:26:57 pm »

Yeah, we're in for a bad season but it's for the greater good. I would honestly trade down from the 1st Round and acquire even more 2020 picks. If we have a lot of picks and cap space in 2020, we can go right to the Wild Card with the right drafting and coaching. We did it 10 years ago, we can do it again as long as we don't act stupid and win games.

I'm a Knicks fan, so tanking is basically all I have at this point.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 06:25:10 pm »

Right now the 2007 - 2008 Dolphins hold the record for single season improvement at 10.  The 2019-2020 Dolphins have a legit shot at beating their own record.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 03:30:50 pm »

"If and when Robert Quinn is traded, Reshad Jones will be the only Miami Dolphins player left making more than $9.75 million in 2019 and only player making more than 5.02 percent of their total cap. Albert Wilson will become Dolphins' third-highest paid player."

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1108045431345340416

If we straight up cut Jones, it would hurt bad this season (roughly $28 mil cap space total), but save us a ton next year (over $120 mil in cap space total).  Trade him like Tannehill was traded, like Quinn is about to traded, maybe get a late round this year and a 3-4 rounder next year.  As much as I love Jones, he seems to get hurt a bit every year, he's getting a little long in the tooth too.  Now would be the best time to get value out of him.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 03:47:33 pm »

Cap space is a good thing and I'm glad they are working hard to free a lot of it up.  But cap space is meaningless if it is not paired with good personnel decisions made with the money you have.  We shall see where this all leads. 
Seafort

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:09:47 pm »

Having all of the cap space is wonderful...even moreso if there is no new collective bargaining agreement signed.

Because 2020 will be the final year of the current CBA, releasing players after this season would be quite different. There are no post-June deferments of cap impact that year. An example cited by ESPN below:

In the Final League Year, there are no post-June 1 release designations. A team in our example dealing with the same problem next year would have to absorb the full dead-money hit no matter when it released the player. It makes sense when you think about it: Why would you make it easier for a team to release a player by allowing it to defer a cap hit into a season that might never even happen?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 08:18:48 am »

Having all of the cap space is wonderful...even moreso if there is no new collective bargaining agreement signed.

Because 2020 will be the final year of the current CBA, releasing players after this season would be quite different. There are no post-June deferments of cap impact that year. An example cited by ESPN below:

In the Final League Year, there are no post-June 1 release designations. A team in our example dealing with the same problem next year would have to absorb the full dead-money hit no matter when it released the player. It makes sense when you think about it: Why would you make it easier for a team to release a player by allowing it to defer a cap hit into a season that might never even happen?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

The question is, why haven't the players and owners sat down and started working on a deal?   Don't they want to keep this sport free of work stoppages?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 08:24:28 am »

"If and when Robert Quinn is traded, Reshad Jones will be the only Miami Dolphins player left making more than $9.75 million in 2019 and only player making more than 5.02 percent of their total cap. Albert Wilson will become Dolphins' third-highest paid player."

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1108045431345340416

If we straight up cut Jones, it would hurt bad this season (roughly $28 mil cap space total), but save us a ton next year (over $120 mil in cap space total).  Trade him like Tannehill was traded, like Quinn is about to traded, maybe get a late round this year and a 3-4 rounder next year.  As much as I love Jones, he seems to get hurt a bit every year, he's getting a little long in the tooth too.  Now would be the best time to get value out of him.
Jones might be traded, as he has great value, but I don't see any situation where he'd be cut anytime soon.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 08:47:28 am »

Jones might be traded, as he has great value, but I don't see any situation where he'd be cut anytime soon.

My gut says he will be traded to dump the salary, and I would not be surprised if he winds up somewhere like New England (I reckon Tom Brady rates him as after Jones picked him off a few times he doesn't throw to his end of the field, plus BB could see him as an upgrade on the increasingly injured Patrick Chung)

As much as I hate the idea, I would not be surprised to see something similar to the Tannehill deal with the Titans but maybe even more extreme - we get a token/nothing pick back plus pay a big chunk of his salary next year to make the trade enticing and get him off the books from 2020 onwards.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 08:57:10 am »

My gut says he will be traded to dump the salary, and I would not be surprised if he winds up somewhere like New England (I reckon Tom Brady rates him as after Jones picked him off a few times he doesn't throw to his end of the field, plus BB could see him as an upgrade on the increasingly injured Patrick Chung)

As much as I hate the idea, I would not be surprised to see something similar to the Tannehill deal with the Titans but maybe even more extreme - we get a token/nothing pick back plus pay a big chunk of his salary next year to make the trade enticing and get him off the books from 2020 onwards.
They don't care about his money. If he gets traded it will be for solid picks. No way he gets traded for something like Tannehill. Tannehill was going to be released. Jones is an NFL stud. Two completely different scenarios.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray