Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:39:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Ring of Dishonor - Ryan Tannehill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Ring of Dishonor - Ryan Tannehill  (Read 13582 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 05:50:19 pm »

If you wanted a real discussion, you should have asked if Adam Gase belongs in the ROD.  He didn't deliver AND he's on the most hated team.  Fuck the Jets.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 07:57:37 pm »

If you wanted a real discussion, you should have asked if Adam Gase belongs in the ROD.  He didn't deliver AND he's on the most hated team.  Fuck the Jets.
^^^Cosigned, sincerely Pondwater

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 09:22:55 pm »

It is not Adam Gase's fault Tannehill was a failure.

It is not Dave Wannestedt's fault Fiedler was a failure.

It is not Jimmy Johnson's fault Marino was a failure.

It is not Don Shula's fault Marino was a failure. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 10:50:56 pm »

It is not Don Shula's fault Marino was a failure. 

If a first ballot HoF coach/GM can’t put together a super bowl winning team around a first ballot HoF QB then at least one of them is overrated.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 12:16:24 am »

If Shula retired in 1982 he still would have been a first ballot HOF coach, so I am unsure how anything he did during the Marino era could have made him "overrated."
And Marino's lack of rings is always baked into any evaluation of him, including the evaluation to induct him into the HOF on the first ballot.  So I don't see how he could be overrated, either.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 01:28:51 am »

If Shula retired in 1982 he still would have been a first ballot HOF coach, so I am unsure how anything he did during the Marino era could have made him "overrated."
And Marino's lack of rings is always baked into any evaluation of him, including the evaluation to induct him into the HOF on the first ballot.  So I don't see how he could be overrated, either.

Marino is a failure, can we just leave it at that?

Of course we could look at other factors involved, but that would just be making excuses. 

The coach has nothing to do with it.

Belichick sucked as a coach before Brady.  He sucks as a coach with Brady.  He makes so many dumb decisions.  The Patriots could easily have won five Super Bowls in a row with a different coach.  Even in the 28-3 game, he was dumb, trying an onside kick when everybody was expecting it and one more Falcons score would have sealed the game.

Shula was a great coach, if you can ignore the horrible things he did to his players, which quite frankly, should have him serving prison time.  If an employer did things like that to their employees, they'd be in SERIOUS legal trouble

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 02:05:45 am »

"Imagine how many more Super Bowls Brady would have won with a good coach" is, if nothing else, an innovative take.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 03:03:51 am »

Let's look at BB in the playoffs the last several years.

2014:  Letting the clock run at the goal line, although they had only two timeouts anyway, so that is a little understandable

2015:  Going for it twice in Denver territory.  Kick one or both of those field goals, and I have to endure another disgusting Patriots Super Bowl victory

2016:  The onside kick when it was 28-9.  That should have put the game away for the Falcons, but like they have so many times, the defense turned into the 1985 Bears defense.

2017:  Benching Butler, costing the Patriots the game.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 04:33:51 am »

The question is not whether Bill Belichick, Don Shula, or anyone else has had a mistake-free career.  All of them have made errors.
The question is: which mistake-free coach are you comparing them to?

Which coach has made fewer mistakes than Belichick, and how many rings does that coach have?

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 08:48:45 am »

Marino is a failure, can we just leave it at that?

Of course we could look at other factors involved, but that would just be making excuses. 

The coach has nothing to do with it.

Belichick sucked as a coach before Brady.  He sucks as a coach with Brady.  He makes so many dumb decisions.  The Patriots could easily have won five Super Bowls in a row with a different coach.  Even in the 28-3 game, he was dumb, trying an onside kick when everybody was expecting it and one more Falcons score would have sealed the game.

Shula was a great coach, if you can ignore the horrible things he did to his players, which quite frankly, should have him serving prison time.  If an employer did things like that to their employees, they'd be in SERIOUS legal trouble

Words fail me. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 09:01:07 am »

Mofo lives in lala land.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 10:07:10 am »

This is something I've wondered about though. If Marino had a running back. He probably would have ended up with a couple of rings himself. I've heard comments from Marino that sounded like he was too sure of himself as a QB, Too cocky, to even have thought or admitted that he need a RB to balance the load and game plan. And I've heard other things too, like Marino had told Shula not to draft RB's. Don't need one, I can do it all myself etc... and Shula bought into it.
Is any of this right, or am I getting stories and facts mixed up? Because if that's the case, Marino shorted himself, and shame on Shula for letting his QB run the show.
Let me be clear on this though. I am not advocating for these two to be in ROD.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 11:29:18 am »

This is something I've wondered about though. If Marino had a running back. He probably would have ended up with a couple of rings himself. I've heard comments from Marino that sounded like he was too sure of himself as a QB, Too cocky, to even have thought or admitted that he need a RB to balance the load and game plan. And I've heard other things too, like Marino had told Shula not to draft RB's. Don't need one, I can do it all myself etc... and Shula bought into it.
Is any of this right, or am I getting stories and facts mixed up? Because if that's the case, Marino shorted himself, and shame on Shula for letting his QB run the show.
Let me be clear on this though. I am not advocating for these two to be in ROD.
Look no farther than John Elway for what could have been. He finally got a defense and running game and finished his career with two Super Bowls. Otherwise he would have been just like Marino.  Marino had great stats but  never had the running game or defense.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 12:44:25 pm »

If a first ballot HoF coach/GM can’t put together a super bowl winning team around a first ballot HoF QB then at least one of them is overrated.
Or maybe unlucky? Marino/Shula got to the SuperBowl one year and the AFC championship the next year. Then never made it back partially because there was a team that went to 4 straight superbowls in that span. New England has been fortunate that there haven't been any other dynasties during their dynasty. If there was maybe we'd be talking about them instead of the Patriots.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 01:58:04 pm »

Or maybe unlucky? Marino/Shula got to the SuperBowl one year and the AFC championship the next year. Then never made it back partially because there was a team that went to 4 straight superbowls in that span. New England has been fortunate that there haven't been any other dynasties during their dynasty. If there was maybe we'd be talking about them instead of the Patriots.

Also because Shula the GM wasn't anywhere near as good as Shula the coach.   And even drafting mediocre players, Shula the coach won 9-10 games a year routinely, which put him in a bad draft position.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray