Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:14:12 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Joe Auer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Joe Auer  (Read 1667 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« on: March 18, 2019, 04:30:43 pm »

If someone else already mentioned this, I apologize.  Last week, Joe Auer died.  The name may not be familiar, but back in 1966, Joe Auer scored the very first touchdown in Dolphins history.  He took the opening kickoff for aTD. A TD on the very first Dolphins play.  Not exactly a household name, but the guy had a decent career. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 04:41:08 pm »

Just looked him up.  He was drafted in 5th round of the NFL draft and 15th  in the AFL.  And choose the AFL.  Odd considering the NFL was the better league in 1963.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:26:41 pm »

Just looked him up.  He was drafted in 5th round of the NFL draft and 15th  in the AFL.  And choose the AFL.  Odd considering the NFL was the better league in 1963.
You lost me. 15th or 5th round? Yeah I'm taking 15th every day and twice on Sundays.

Edit: You mean 15th round? Oh wow, didn't even realize there were ever 15 rounds in the draft. How many teams were in the AFL at the time? Maybe 15 rounds in the AFL isn't quite so much lower than 5th round of the NFL draft?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:30:46 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 07:34:14 pm »

You lost me.

In 1963 there was two football leagues- NFL & AFL.  Up until 1969 with the Jets beating the Colts the leagues were not considered equal.  He was drafted by both leagues and choose the AFL.

This is almost like if the Dolphins offered a player on Appollos a contract and he said, “nah, I am good playing in the AAF”

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:26:23 pm »

You lost me. 15th or 5th round? Yeah I'm taking 15th every day and twice on Sundays.

Edit: You mean 15th round? Oh wow, didn't even realize there were ever 15 rounds in the draft. How many teams were in the AFL at the time? Maybe 15 rounds in the AFL isn't quite so much lower than 5th round of the NFL draft?

Back in the day, there were a LOT of rounds.  My uncle Bob Dunn (University of Dayton) was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in 1950 in the 25th round!   Hope Sunstroke sees this!  Smiley
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:26:56 am »

In 1963 there was two football leagues- NFL & AFL.  Up until 1969 with the Jets beating the Colts the leagues were not considered equal.  He was drafted by both leagues and choose the AFL.

This is almost like if the Dolphins offered a player on Appollos a contract and he said, “nah, I am good playing in the AAF”
I'm old so I'm aware of the NFL and AFL, but I'd compare the NFL and AFL at that time more to the NFL and CFL now. The CFL has taken a lot of players from the NFL so that doesn't seem like a huge stretch to me. Where I was confused is you mentioned 15th and 5th round and I thought you were talking 15th overall pick as opposed to 5th round pick. Did I misunderstand or is that accurate? If that's accurate it makes sense that he would choose the league that picked him 15th as opposed to the one that chose him in the 5th round. Also who was offering the bigger contract? Could very well have been the AFL who was trying to get to where the NFL was at the time.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:29:45 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 10:36:48 am »

Back in the day, there were a LOT of rounds.  My uncle Bob Dunn (University of Dayton) was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in 1950 in the 25th round!   Hope Sunstroke sees this!  Smiley

Shocked  Your uncle was a Niner?  Very nice!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 03:52:47 pm »

Shocked  Your uncle was a Niner?  Very nice!

Well, full disclosure, he got hurt and got cut and probably wouldn't have made the team even if he didn't get hurt.  He never talked about it all.  I had no idea that he had even been drafted in the NFL until he died and it was in his obituary.  Of course when he played, it was long before I was even born. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray