Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:00:13 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sports Illustrated ranks Dolphins quarterback situation worst in NFL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Sports Illustrated ranks Dolphins quarterback situation worst in NFL  (Read 12706 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 02:13:51 pm »

Explain why you can't do both?

Because without the first overall pick you have no shot at drafting super stars like JaMarcus Russel or Tim Couch and might get stuck drafting a bum like Tom Brady or Joe Montana.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 05:56:46 pm »

Because without the first overall pick you have no shot at drafting super stars like JaMarcus Russel or Tim Couch and might get stuck drafting a bum like Tom Brady or Joe Montana.

Hey, Tim Couch once threw a screen pass that went for 6 yards!

You can do both, but it's a lot easier to do so with the #1 overall pick than the #2 overall pick when the team ahead of you is going to draft the QB that you wanted.

In the very unlikely event we are both 0-15 and face the Giants for the final game, I just don't see how any Dolphins fan can cheer for us to win. You are directly rooting against your team's best interests for the next decade.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 10:37:21 pm »

You can do both, but it's a lot easier to do so with the #1 overall pick than the #2 overall pick when the team ahead of you is going to draft the QB that you wanted.
A LOT easier? Or maybe just a bit easier? Let's say both teams take a QB next year. What are the odds that one or the other turns out to be a franchise QB? Maybe 20%? Course it's nice to have your pick of the litter but the chances that you pick a franchise QB with the 1st overall pick aren't all that great. There's not even a QB taken 1st overall every year. There's been a few and a few of them turned out to be franchise QB's but the odds aren't that great. Do the odds really go down that much if you take the 2nd available QB? It's also an assumption that the Giants would take a QB with the 1st overall pick, they could take someone else or trade down for more picks, get a QB in a trade or something etc. You never know what's going to happen.

Having said all that, yeah I would prefer the top pick over a 1 win season...but not by a great deal. I wouldn't be devastated if they won their last game to go 1-15 and lose the top pick. Not at all.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:39:35 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 08:51:18 am »

Guess it all depends on your thoughts of Tua. As of now, he is going #1. Maybe that changes between now and the 2020 draft but he is the consensus #1 pick and QB right now.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 10:01:20 am »

Last time we had such a situation where everyone wanted to suck for luck.  The best QB of the drafted didn’t go first or second, he was drafted midway thru the third.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 10:13:59 am »

Last time we had such a situation where everyone wanted to suck for luck.  The best QB of the drafted didn’t go first or second, he was drafted midway thru the third.

I think if you ask most people they would still take Luck over Wilson .... and I like Wilson. Luck has played for crap teams while Wilson has had the benefit of some great teams.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 10:48:04 am »

Luck > Wilson.  Wilson had one of the all time best defenses.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 09:45:58 pm »

In the very unlikely event we are both 0-15 and face the Giants for the final game, I just don't see how any Dolphins fan can cheer for us to win.
I can.

Going 0-16 guarantees you membership in a select group of infamous clowns, but does NOT guarantee that the QB you draft will be any good.  The biggest can't-miss prospect in my NFL lifetime was Andrew Luck, and even he hasn't been worth the absolute disgrace of 0-16 (given his zero Super Bowl appearances so far).

The Dolphins are not the Bengals or the Titans: teams that have never won anything.  They have two Lombardi trophies and a Perfect Season already.  I can't see anything short of 3 Super Bowl wins as being worth going 0-16.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:50:18 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 11:51:04 am »

Edgecrusher, were you disappointed when the Dolphins won that one game in 2007?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 12:36:54 pm »

I was.  😈

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 02:49:27 pm »

Guess it all depends on your thoughts of Tua. As of now, he is going #1. Maybe that changes between now and the 2020 draft but he is the consensus #1 pick and QB right now.
So as you mentioned there's a lot that can change between now and then and of course being the consensus #1 pick means absolutely zero. So what I'm saying is that nothing is a sure bet. Would I rather have the #1 pick then the #2 pick, yes. Will it make any difference? That can only be determined after letting both the #1 and #2 pick career's play out.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 03:01:46 pm »

history shows that you can find a great QB in many rounds but we have failed to do it that way for 30 years. The last player that most critics were "sure" about was Luck and he has proven to be the real deal. Tua is in that same high odds position. Everyone else this year and after Tua in the next draft (assuming nothing changes) are considered possibilities but your odds are much better with Tua panning out. The odds on Trevor Lawrence are incredibly high too but he is two years away.   

Since Miami has failed so badly for so long they need to do whatever it takes to increase those odds to the best possible. They simply cannot afford another QB bust.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 03:47:04 pm »

history shows that you can find a great QB in many rounds but we have failed to do it that way for 30 years. The last player that most critics were "sure" about was Luck and he has proven to be the real deal. Tua is in that same high odds position. Everyone else this year and after Tua in the next draft (assuming nothing changes) are considered possibilities but your odds are much better with Tua panning out. The odds on Trevor Lawrence are incredibly high too but he is two years away.   

Since Miami has failed so badly for so long they need to do whatever it takes to increase those odds to the best possible. They simply cannot afford another QB bust.
I don't think it all has to do with the actual pick. There are many high draft picks that were supposed to be sure things that wound up as busts and washed out rather quickly. I think the bigger thing with draft picks being successful or not is the coaching, development, supporting cast, and tools you give them to succeed.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2019, 05:02:26 pm »

I honestly don't remember. I think I was happy when it happened and I remember the old owner crying.

The Lions have gone 0-16 since so we wouldn't go into the history books as the only winless team. Because of that, I don't think 1-15 or 0-16 matters, especially when it comes to getting your Franchise QB. Nothing that happens this season is more important than the future. If we could legally forfeit every game this year and not be punished by the league and sued by the fans, I would do it. Just so everyone knows where I stand on this upcoming season and the 2020 draft.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2019, 05:57:32 pm »

My concern about sucking or tanking for the #1 hot prospect that is lights out in college and is on the top of everyone’s wish list is that what if he in reality is another John Manziel or Ryan Leaf? I wonder if it would be better to play well enough to attract a top well established free agent that has proven himself to be a winner, or to become an attractive trade destination for a top notch guy.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray