Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:31:40 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Anyone We DON'T Want to Take in the 1st Round?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Anyone We DON'T Want to Take in the 1st Round?  (Read 4774 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 12:55:45 pm »

An idea for the QB scenario would be to get Rosen for a 2nd or 3rd, draft a late round QB like Rypien or Stick, see if there is anything there, then draft a QB next year.  Blast a shotgun at the QB position and see if anything hits.  If we get multiple hits, we could trade one of them down the line.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:57:29 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 01:02:03 pm »

An idea for the QB scenario would be to get Rosen for a 2nd or 3rd, draft a late round QB like Rypien or Stick, see if there is anything there, then draft a QB next year.  Blast a shotgun at the QB position and see if anything hits.  If we get multiple hits, we could trade one of them down the line.

Problem with that is you have too many other holes.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 01:13:07 pm »

Problem with that is you have too many other holes.

We have a lot of draft picks in 2020.  We could get some of the Oline and Dline drafted this year and the rest next year.  I think we can do both.  This isn't even including free agency, and the Dolphins will have close to the most cap space in 2020.

2019 Draft
1st Round (13 overall)
2nd Round (48 overall)
3rd Round (79 overall)
4th Round (117 overall)
5th Round (152 overall)
7th Round (235 overall via Tennessee)
7th Round (236 overall via Pittsburgh)

2020 Draft
1st Round
2nd Round
3rd Round
3rd Round (Ja’Wuan James comp pick)
4th Round
4th Round (Ryan Tannehill trade)
5th Round
5th Round (potential Cameron Wake comp pick)
6th Round
6th Round (Robert Quinn trade)
7th Round
7th Round (Jordan Lucas trade with Kansas City in August 2018)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:14:39 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 02:47:22 pm »

More and more people are saying these QBs are good but not great ... meaning you need a good team around them to succeed. They aren't people to carry your team and aren't anywhere close to the last guarantee ... Andrew Luck. Next year there are three who are being ranked higher although that could change over the next year. With that being the case you can almost bet the Dolphins won't draft a QB before the 3rd round. This is a strong defensive draft and we have zero play-makers right now. There is almost no way they don't go defensive line in the first and maybe second round. An o-lineman in the second may also be an option.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 03:06:38 pm »

^Having so many holes, we definitely have options.  I expect them to go this route.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 06:40:32 pm »

Don’t take any of the QBs this year. O line or D line is what I want. It’d be great if we could get Rosen for a third but I’ wouldn’t give anything higher.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 01:39:30 pm »

Don’t take any of the QBs this year. O line or D line is what I want. It’d be great if we could get Rosen for a third but I’ wouldn’t give anything higher.

I wouldn't be thrilled or sad if we got Rosen for a 3rd, but that means he has to start Week 1. Don't know if management will do that since we just signed Fitzpatrick. A QB doesn't get better riding the bench for a year after starting the season before. I'm definitely leaning towards O-Line or D-Line in this draft and a QB in 2020 but I don't think I would throw my TV out if we traded a 3rd rounder for Rosen.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 01:43:17 pm »

I wouldn't be thrilled or sad if we got Rosen for a 3rd, but that means he has to start Week 1. Don't know if management will do that since we just signed Fitzpatrick. A QB doesn't get better riding the bench for a year after starting the season before. I'm definitely leaning towards O-Line or D-Line in this draft and a QB in 2020 but I don't think I would throw my TV out if we traded a 3rd rounder for Rosen.
Grier said his goal was to get three starters and three back-ups this draft. I can't see him wasting a thrid on an iffy pick like QB that didn't work out somewhere else.

The rumor is Rosen has a rough personality and his teammates don't necessarily warm up to him. I didn't know of him in college but apparently he was the same there. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2019, 04:41:23 pm »

Yeah, we really aren't in much of a position to use a 3rd rounder on anything but a "guaranteed" starter. We need to ace this draft, pray the Giants get a QB now and then ace the draft and free agency in 2020. No injury risks, no projects, no "his numbers weren't great but we like his athleticism" picks that are earlier than 7th rounders.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 07:58:52 pm »

Yeah, we really aren't in much of a position to use a 3rd rounder on anything but a "guaranteed" starter. We need to ace this draft, pray the Giants get a QB now and then ace the draft and free agency in 2020. No injury risks, no projects, no "his numbers weren't great but we like his athleticism" picks that are earlier than 7th rounders.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed starter.

Trading for a player is way less risky than drafting.  Easier to project what a player is capable of doing on one NFL team to another than project what they can do based on college.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 09:30:01 pm »

There is no such thing as a guaranteed starter.

Trading for a player is way less risky than drafting.  Easier to project what a player is capable of doing on one NFL team to another than project what they can do based on college.

I know, that's why I put quotation marks around it. I just want us to make safer picks instead of drafting guys that fall to us because they have injury concerns. I'm fine drafting a Tunsil if it is over bullshit character concerns but no guys who may not even be ready Week 1 due to injury.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 02:54:17 pm »

Grier said his goal was to get three starters and three back-ups this draft. I can't see him wasting a thrid on an iffy pick like QB that didn't work out somewhere else.

The rumor is Rosen has a rough personality and his teammates don't necessarily warm up to him. I didn't know of him in college but apparently he was the same there. 

I won't be upset if they don't trade the third for Rosen, it's a risk but I think it's one worth taking for a third but nothing more than that.

Start up front on either side make it the focus of this draft and im happy.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 05:47:54 pm »

I won't be upset if they don't trade the third for Rosen, it's a risk but I think it's one worth taking for a third but nothing more than that.

Start up front on either side make it the focus of this draft and im happy.

I can’t imagine you getting him for a third.  Any team that was hoping to grab him if he fell to the second last year is going to be willing to offer a second for him this year.  You get him for 4 years b/c of 5th year option. And with signing bonus already paid for about the same cost as a second rounder, maybe even a little less.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray