Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:11 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami's two biggest superstars were actually accidents
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Miami's two biggest superstars were actually accidents  (Read 5753 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:04:04 am »

We constantly talk about our bad picks or how you can find a stud in the 5th round and so on but the truth is the two biggest sports stars came to Miami by accident. Everyone knows that Dan Marino fell out of nowhere and surprisingly ended up with the Dolphins. They didn't plan for it because they didn't expect it to happen.  

It wasn't until this week that I heard the story of Dwayne Wade ... who is arguably the most successful Miami superstar and bigger than Marino to some. Apparently Pat Riley wasn't even looking at him because he wouldn't have been available but out of nowhere the Detroit Pistons selected Darko Milicic. It was at that point he fell to the Heat and Riley took a player at a position he wasn't even looking at. I've never heard of Darko so I can only assume he was a bust.  The rest is history.

This causes me to wonder about how much "luck" is actually involved in actually obtaining a franchise guy. I mean ... how many people passed on Brady and Aaron Rodgers and look at them. I think it's much easier to screw up and draft a Ryan Leaf. It actually boggles the mind.

Here's to hoping the Dolphins have some dumb luck in the next few years!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 05:46:21 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:06:19 am »

We constantly talk about our bad picks or how you can find a stud in the 5th round and so on but the truth is the two biggest sports stars came to Miami by accident. Everyone knows that Dan Marino fell out of nowhere and surprisingly ended up with the Dolphins. They didn't plan for it because they didn't expect it to happen.  

It wasn't until this week that I heard the story of Dwayne Wade ... who is arguably the most successful Miami superstar and bigger than Marino to some. Apparently Pat Riley wasn't even looking at him because he wouldn't have been available but out of nowhere the Detroit Pistons selected Darko Milicic. It was at that point he fell to the Heat and Riley took a player at a position he wasn't even looking at. I've never heard of Darko so I can only assume he was a bust.  The rest is history.

This causes me to wonder about how much "luck" is actually involved in actually obtaining a franchise guy. I mean ... how many people passed on Brady and Aaron Rodgers and look at them. I think it's much easier to screw up and draft a Ryan Leaf. It actually boggles the mind.

I remember Darko, he was supposed to be the next great young prodigy from Europe, and yes, he was a Jamarcus Russel level bust.  I don't know if he gets drafted that high if he isn't a Center

Look at the players that were drafted around him:

"He was selected by the Detroit Pistons as the second overall pick in the 2003 NBA draft after LeBron James, and ahead of players such as Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darko_Mili%C4%8Di%C4%87
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:08:44 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 09:08:00 am »

darko wasn't a bust .. he was an average mid-level player .. had some good years.. but no where near the other top 5 picks (lebron, carmelo, bosh, wade)

funny tidbit, he won a title before any of the other top 5
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:10:55 am by Fau Teixeira » Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 09:10:47 am »

darko wasn't a bust .. he was an average mid-level player .. had some good years.. but no where near the other top 5 picks (lebron, carmelo, bosh, wade)

I don't know how you can say that, there are more stories and articles than I can count calling him a bust.  He got better in his 5th year from not sucking out loud to an average at best player.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:52:43 am »

Seconded. I think luck is a lot more responsible for dynasties then we want to believe.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 11:00:41 am »

While I agree you can find a stud in the 5th round, neither Wade nor Marino is evidence of that. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 11:53:19 am »

While I agree you can find a stud in the 5th round, neither Wade nor Marino is evidence of that.
I think the point was that luck may have a lot more to do with how a draft pick works out then we think regardless if that pick is in the 1st round or the 7th. In general we give too much credit to the folks that drafted them as being able to see something that no one else saw. More likely they saw the same thing everyone else did, potential. No one knows whether that potential will actually manifest itself into actual ability or not. If Shula would have foreseen the greatness in Marino when he drafted him he wouldn't have waited 6 weeks to insert him as the starter, he would have done it in the preseason. Shula was as shocked as everyone else how good Marino would become.

I think it's about time Miami gets lucky with a draft pick or 2 again.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:05:28 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 12:10:15 pm »

^Do you mean at the QB position?  We were lucky that Tunsil and Fitzpatrick dropped to us.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:44:45 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 01:09:18 pm »

I think the point was that luck may have a lot more to do with how a draft pick works out then we think regardless if that pick is in the 1st round or the 7th. In general we give too much credit to the folks that drafted them as being able to see something that no one else saw. More likely they saw the same thing everyone else did, potential. No one knows whether that potential will actually manifest itself into actual ability or not. If Shula would have foreseen the greatness in Marino when he drafted him he wouldn't have waited 6 weeks to insert him as the starter, he would have done it in the preseason. Shula was as shocked as everyone else how good Marino would become.

I think it's about time Miami gets lucky with a draft pick or 2 again.

Luck definitely is a major part of the draft.  But that doesn’t mean there aren’t some scouting departments that have better then average skill and others that do a poorer job.  Also different teams value different attributes differently. 

That is why trading down for picks makes sense.  While you have a better chance of drafting a future HoF player in the first round than in the second, you have a better chance of getting 1 future HoF player with 2 second round picks than with 1 first round pick. 

I think people over emphasize Marino dropping to the end of the first round as if i was the same level of miss as Brady going in the 6th or James Harrison going undrafted.  Of the 5 QB that went  ahead of Dan 4 were franchise QBs, 2 of them made the hall of fame and 1 even won 2 super bowls.  Only one of the 5 was an actual miss.  And it is entirely possible that had Miami had the 15th pick they might have taken Eason or OBrian instead of Marino.  Marino is better than either than them, but Marino vs. Eason or Obrian isn’t Manning vs Leaf.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 01:17:27 pm »

^Do you mean at the QB position?  We were been lucky that Tunsil and Fitzpatrick dropped to us.
I agree and they are two of our best players but will never have the impact of Dan Marino or Dwayne Wade. It's not like we made any smart moves that landed them either. It was pretty much dumb luck as chips just fell into place where previously it didn't look like we had realistic shot to land them.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 01:33:26 pm »

^Do you mean at the QB position?  We were been lucky that Tunsil and Fitzpatrick dropped to us.

I dare say the folks in LA probably feel pretty lucky Miami choose Fitz and let a rookie all pro safety drop to them.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 02:06:51 pm »

I dare say the folks in LA probably feel pretty lucky Miami choose Fitz and let a rookie all pro safety drop to them.

I like James as I'm an FSU fan but I believe Fitz will have the better career in the long run. With that said both are very good so it really doesn't matter which one you take there IMO.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 02:25:26 pm »

I remember Darko, he was supposed to be the next great young prodigy from Europe, and yes, he was a Jamarcus Russel level bust.  I don't know if he gets drafted that high if he isn't a Center

Look at the players that were drafted around him:

"He was selected by the Detroit Pistons as the second overall pick in the 2003 NBA draft after LeBron James, and ahead of players such as Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darko_Mili%C4%8Di%C4%87

The Pistons just won the NBA Championship and through a trade had the #2 overall pick. I don't think the pick was lottery protected and they lucked out. So, instead of selecting a Wade or Carmelo and build a dynasty, they selected Darko and their window closed very shortly thereafter.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 04:03:20 pm »

^Do you mean at the QB position?  We were lucky that Tunsil and Fitzpatrick dropped to us.
I don't mean lucky in the way that they fall to us, I mean lucky in the way they turn out to be hall of fame type players. I'm talking about Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor lucky. And it could be a QB, but doesn't have to be.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 06:02:30 pm »

Minkah has HoF potential.  Tunsil might too, but yeah I get what you're saying.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray