Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:12:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami's two biggest superstars were actually accidents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Miami's two biggest superstars were actually accidents  (Read 5757 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 07:03:53 pm »

I think a successful draft is less about hitting a homerun (drafting a future HoF player) and more about not drafting busts.  A draft with 3 or 4 solid starters that never see a probowl, is superior to a single all-pro and everyone else being a bust.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 10:03:44 am »

I think a successful draft is less about hitting a homerun (drafting a future HoF player) and more about not drafting busts.  A draft with 3 or 4 solid starters that never see a probowl, is superior to a single all-pro and everyone else being a bust.
I don't disagree, but you still need a couple/several pro-bowl caliber players on your roster every year to be in playoff contention. Without that it's very hard to compete in this league. Miami's roster doesn't have enough of either at this point, pro-bowl caliber or just solid starters.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 01:37:59 pm »

.  Of the 5 QB that went  ahead of Dan 4 were franchise QBs, 2 of them made the hall of fame and 1 even won 2 super bowls.  Only one of the 5 was an actual miss.  And it is entirely possible that had Miami had the 15th pick they might have taken Eason or OBrian instead of Marino.  Marino is better than either than them, but Marino vs. Eason or Obrian isn’t Manning vs Leaf.

If you can name 4 franchise QBs drafted ahead of Marino, you are using that term too loosely.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 02:03:43 pm »

If you can name 4 franchise QBs drafted ahead of Marino, you are using that term too loosely.
John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, and Dan Marino

I agree. I only see three there including Marino. O'Brian was decent but not in that class at all.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 02:11:24 pm »

John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, and Dan Marino

I agree. I only see three there including Marino. O'Brian was decent but not in that class at all.
And as much as I liked Marino as a QB. I would say that of the 3, their performance and careers equated to the order they were drafted in. 1. Elway, 2. Kelly, and 3. Marino

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 02:12:58 pm »

^No fucking way, of the 3 he was the best.  Those other guys had historically stacked teams.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 03:25:20 pm »

I am not saying there were four QB better than Marino.  Just saying they were franchise quality.  Eason took his team to the SB.  Granted they lost but still, but winning the AFCCG was Marinio and Kelly high water mark too.  OBrian was the starting QB for the same team for a decade. 

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 11:24:23 am »

Tony Eason started for 3 seasons out of his career. Give me a break.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 12:53:03 pm »

^No fucking way, of the 3 he was the best.  Those other guys had historically stacked teams.
Take a breath, it's ok to disagree...

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 02:22:57 pm »

Take a breath, it's ok to disagree...

Give Marino a RB like Thurman Thomas to hand the ball off to and that early 90's Bills defense and he'd have at least one Super Bowl ring.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 02:55:21 pm »

Give Marino a RB like Thurman Thomas to hand the ball off to and that early 90's Bills defense and he'd have at least one Super Bowl ring.

You would think that giving Marino 2 HoF coaches, one who was described as “....can take his'n and beat your'n, Or he can take your'n and beat his'n." would be enough to get him a ring.  If neither Shula nor JJ could design a game plan that could make Marino successful what coach of that era could?

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 05:24:54 pm »

You would think that giving Marino 2 HoF coaches, one who was described as “....can take his'n and beat your'n, Or he can take your'n and beat his'n." would be enough to get him a ring.  If neither Shula nor JJ could design a game plan that could make Marino successful what coach of that era could?

Because Marino was stubborn and refused to listen.   He kept convincing Shula he could do it on his own when he couldn't.  JJ tried to build up the defense and add a running game, but by then, Marino was so old he couldn't hand the ball off fast enough.   JJ's downfall in Miami was not getting rid of Marino.   

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 11:59:04 am »

Because Marino was stubborn and refused to listen.   He kept convincing Shula he could do it on his own when he couldn't.  JJ tried to build up the defense and add a running game, but by then, Marino was so old he couldn't hand the ball off fast enough.   JJ's downfall in Miami was not getting rid of Marino.   

So those teams who passed on Marino with the scouting report of “great skill set, however his own arrogance, being uncoachable, and his attitude of putting personal stats ahead of winning makes it  unlikely to develop a championship team around him”. Got it wrong?

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 12:30:59 pm »

I like how the Bucs and Patriots guys are talking about Marino like they have a clue. All you had to do was watch Marino play in '84 and you knew right then no one was better at the time. Marino had his chances in '84 and '85 but it didn't happen. Then Kelly was added to the Bills and they started a run of their own because they had a better defense and run game to complement Kelly. Dolphins had some good years but never put together a team with all the pieces in place. Over time the yearly knee surgeries and age started to take away from some of Marino's magic and he was no longer able to put the team on his back. By the time JJ came around Marino was a shell of his former self.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:39:25 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 12:46:06 pm »

I like how the Bucs and Patriots guys are talking about Marino like they have a clue.  All you had to do was watch Marino play in '84 and you knew right there no one was better at the time. Marino had his chances in '84 and '85 but it didn't happen. Then Kelly was added to the Bills and they started a run of their own. Dolphins had some good years but never put together a team with all the pieces in place. Over time the yearly knee surgeries and age started to take away from some of Marino's magic and he was no longer able to put the team on his back. By the time JJ came around Marino was a shell of his former self.

Marino had plenty of natural talent.  Won’t argue that.  But he was also selfish, carrying more about personal stats than the success of the team. He is certainly not the only player like that, Randy Moss was one of the greatest players of all time, but selfish, he broke Jerry Rices single td record, but never got a ring out it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray