Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Bernie Sanders proved my point for me
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders proved my point for me  (Read 5903 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 07:07:30 pm »

This country was founded with the idea everyone should have equal opportunities of succeeding and not that everyone would have equal results.
I would hardly say that a nation with institutionalized slavery, where women had no right to vote, was "founded" on the idea of equal opportunity for everyone, unless you define "everyone" to mean "the privileged few."

That's a new concept liberals are trying to force down our throats.
Then I suppose history will file it next to other concepts liberals forced down our throats, such as the abolition of slavery, voting rights for all citizens regardless of race or sex, free public education, and Medicare.

SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2019, 12:35:57 pm »

i wouldn't give any money for building any churches .. ever ..

No one asked this. No one cares what you do with your $.

but if other people want to who am i to stop them ? 

You’re advocating a position which would essentially ban people’s ability to give to charity. You can’t have it both ways. Either you want charities to exist or you don’t. Either way, you know your position is highly unpopular and charities will never be banned, nor will their tax exemption go away, so you’re hedging your language here. And that’s fine, albeit laughably pathetic.

they shouldn't get to deduct this off their taxes .. and churches for sure shouldn't have tax exempt status

No one asked whether they should or shouldn’t. You shouldn’t avoid the question/dress it with red herrings when you know your position is laughably unpopular.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2019, 02:21:52 pm »

You’re advocating a position which would essentially ban people’s ability to give to charity.
Please explain how ending tax exemptions for charitable donations "bans the ability to give to charity."

In particular, I would like to hear how you view this interaction with the new GOP tax reforms enacted by Trump, wherein many millions of people no longer benefit from itemizing their taxes and simply take the standard deduction.  Are all these people "banned" from donating to charity?  That seems inconsistent with the $1.8M in donations you recently cited.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:28:45 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2019, 06:34:33 pm »

No one asked this. No one cares what you do with your $.

You’re advocating a position which would essentially ban people’s ability to give to charity. You can’t have it both ways. Either you want charities to exist or you don’t. Either way, you know your position is highly unpopular and charities will never be banned, nor will their tax exemption go away, so you’re hedging your language here. And that’s fine, albeit laughably pathetic.

No one asked whether they should or shouldn’t. You shouldn’t avoid the question/dress it with red herrings when you know your position is laughably unpopular.

you asked a really dumb question .,. i tried as best i could to give a meaningful answer .. what i was talking about before you straw-manned my argument was that charities are a poor substitute for what government should be doing in the first place.. since i don't think government should be building churches in the first place then your question is as meaningless as "why is the sky triangle farts" if you divorce charity and taxes then i have no problem at all with charities.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2019, 10:40:30 am »

I would hardly say that a nation with institutionalized slavery, where women had no right to vote, was "founded" on the idea of equal opportunity for everyone, unless you define "everyone" to mean "the privileged few."
Then I suppose history will file it next to other concepts liberals forced down our throats, such as the abolition of slavery, voting rights for all citizens regardless of race or sex, free public education, and Medicare.
SMH ... you constantly make me laugh out loud and that is no exaggeration. When you equate the abolition of slavery and voting rights for all citizens regardless of race or sex as liberal concepts it just means you will stoop to any level to try and win an argument. I might as well say I support Trump because he is for open borders. LOL

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2019, 11:17:00 am »

abolition of slavery and voting rights for all citizens regardless of race or sex as liberal concepts

They were liberal concepts, by textbook or any other kind of definition you want. At one point the republican party was the liberal party, it is no longer.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2019, 11:43:30 am »

They were liberal concepts, by textbook or any other kind of definition you want. At one point the republican party was the liberal party, it is no longer.
You buy into every propaganda piece thrown at you I guess. The greatest lie of the modern era is that the Democrats have gone from racists to being saviors of minorities and although the more Democrats are in power the more minorities suffer all because they keep blaming it on others. It's quiet ingenuous I guess. I would have given the average person too much credit for being too smart to fall for that. 

Take out the liberal cities/policies and crime and murder in this country drop to being the among the lowest in the world and yet ... it's somehow the conservatives fault? It would be funny if not so sad. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2019, 11:46:10 am »

I would have given the average person too much credit for being too smart to fall for that. 

Prior to the last Presidential election, I would have as well...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 03:00:06 pm »

You buy into every propaganda piece thrown at you I guess. The greatest lie of the modern era is that the Democrats have gone from racists to being saviors of minorities and although the more Democrats are in power the more minorities suffer all because they keep blaming it on others. It's quiet ingenuous I guess. I would have given the average person too much credit for being too smart to fall for that. 

Take out the liberal cities/policies and crime and murder in this country drop to being the among the lowest in the world and yet ... it's somehow the conservatives fault? It would be funny if not so sad. 

Wow .. ok so very very very many things wrong with most of what you said.

Democrats haven't gone from being the party of segregation to being the open tent party because of some sort of grand orchestrated  change. They've changed because most of the old racists died off and the younger more liberal crowd has taken over since the 60s. Demographic change matters and that's affected the democratic party over the past 60 years.

And for your liberal policies / cities example you have just given everyone a perfect example of correlation without causation. I could just as easily make the statement that once a city reaches 300k people crime rates get higher. So if we did the same and excluded all cities or metro areas with more than 300k people in them our murder rates would be the lowest in the world.  Guess where that assumption fails you... if we compare cities of similar size between different countries with similar levels of industrialization .. lets say new york vs. tokyo, berlin, madrid, paris, london then you start to see that murder rates fall way down in much more liberal countries.  And even in london when they started doing dumb ass conservative stuff like austerity and cutting back on social programs you started having a huge rise in knife violence. So maybe guns are the general problem with gun violence and not "liberal policies"

so maybe it's you who buys into every propaganda piece you hear on fox news in a "us vs. them" mindset instead of actually looking at the situation objectively
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:01:48 pm by Fau Teixeira » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 05:06:29 pm »

so maybe it's you who buys into every propaganda piece you hear on fox news in a "us vs. them" mindset instead of actually looking at the situation objectively
That's highly doubtful as 1) I'm a former Democrat who evolved and jumped ship. I very much remember the KKK influence of the Democrats and many of those families ares still there on welfare and 2) I don't typically watch FOX news. In fact I read CNN everyday and MSN as I like to get some opposing thoughts. Although I do from time to time I rarely go to FOX.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 11:05:00 pm »

The greatest lie of the modern era is that the Democrats have gone from racists to being saviors of minorities [...]
I didn't say Democrats.  I said liberals.  Remember, the Republicans used to be the progressive party (just ask Teddy Roosevelt).  Party labels may have changed, but the ideological split is the same as ever.

Conservatives fought a war of treason in defense of slavery.  Conservatives opposed giving women the vote.  Conservatives terrorized blacks and enforced Jim Crow.  That's what conservatism is: a defense of the status quo, or a call for return to the prior status quo.  

Why do you think Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again"?  Conservatism is, at its heart, a struggle to return to the past when there was a clear demarcation of those in power (white men, usually with money) and those not so.

But maybe I'm wrong.  CF, when do you personally believe America was great?  Was it Eisenhower's 1950s, when America was segregated and women couldn't have a real job?  Or perhaps it was Reagan's 1980s, with the war on drugs in full force, crime out of control, and homosexuals being thrown in jail?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:28:09 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 11:21:49 pm »

[deleted, unproductive]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:15:59 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray