Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:00:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A more radical concept for 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A more radical concept for 2020  (Read 3089 times)
Seafort

Email
« on: April 26, 2019, 12:54:04 am »

Right now the plan is to tank in 2019. "Tank for Tua".

But what if we have it wrong. What if it's "Lose for Lawrence?"

As many have stated, Miami has numerous holes to fill. We need to two offensive linemen, at a minimum for instance. So let's say Miami winds up with the Number 1 pick in the 2019 draft. Tua is available, for the taking. At that point, the trade value for Miami's number one overall pick is at its absolute best. The Dolphins could trade down and acquire a hoard of additional picks in 2020, while at the same time maintaining Luke Falk or Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback. This would mimic the strategy that Cleveland employed during their "Process", where they refused early on to use a first round pick on a QB and instead focused on building the rest of the team.

If the Dolphins organization is willing to make the commitment, they might be better served to tank for two years, building up the rest of the team (particularly the lines), and then drafting the franchise quarterback. And you can argue that Trevor Lawrence is the better QB than Tua.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:49:00 am »

With the cap space and draft picks we will have in 2020, there is no chance we will be bad enough to get the #1 pick in 2021.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:53:06 am »

if the dolphins have the #1 pick in 2021 some other than Grier/Flores should be making the pick

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 01:57:14 pm »

if the dolphins have the #1 pick in 2021 some other than Grier/Flores should be making the pick

Exactly. 2019 is the tank year, 2020 is the rebirth and 2021 is when you try for the wildcard or division if Brady ever shows his age.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 03:07:56 pm »

Exactly. 2019 is the tank year, 2020 is the rebirth and 2021 is when you try for the wildcard or division if Brady ever shows his age.
I wish my crystal ball were as clear as yours. When I look into mine I can't make out anything, the picture is just real fuzzy.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 03:09:27 pm »

I wish my crystal ball were as clear as yours. When I look into mine I can't make out anything, the picture is just real fuzzy.

i didn’t read that as a prediction, but as a plan.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 03:13:35 pm »

i didn’t read that as a prediction, but as a plan.
A 3 year plan to "try" for the playoffs? Why did we fire Gase again? Sorry, but I just don't feel like getting worse to get better is a really solid plan. It works from time to time. So does just trying to get better.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:17:11 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 03:36:03 pm »

A 3 year plan to "try" for the playoffs? Why did we fire Gase again? Sorry, but I just don't feel like getting worse to get better is a really solid plan. It works from time to time. So does just trying to get better.

I was being realistic with the plan, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility that we make a playoff run in 2020 if we get Tua and draft well on top of nailing free agency. It's just going to require some luck and really acing the draft.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 06:06:26 pm »

Right now the plan is to tank in 2019. "Tank for Tua".

But what if we have it wrong. What if it's "Lose for Lawrence?"

As many have stated, Miami has numerous holes to fill. We need to two offensive linemen, at a minimum for instance. So let's say Miami winds up with the Number 1 pick in the 2019 draft. Tua is available, for the taking. At that point, the trade value for Miami's number one overall pick is at its absolute best. The Dolphins could trade down and acquire a hoard of additional picks in 2020, while at the same time maintaining Luke Falk or Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback. This would mimic the strategy that Cleveland employed during their "Process", where they refused early on to use a first round pick on a QB and instead focused on building the rest of the team.

If the Dolphins organization is willing to make the commitment, they might be better served to tank for two years, building up the rest of the team (particularly the lines), and then drafting the franchise quarterback. And you can argue that Trevor Lawrence is the better QB than Tua.

Lose for Lawrence is a very risky proposition.   The XFL comes on the scene in 2020 and wants to compete with the NFL directly.  They don't have a rule that you have to be three years out of high school to go pro.  I'm hearing rumblings that they may offer Lawrence a pro contract that's worth quite a few million (slightly less than a top five draft pick).  And he'll probably take that deal.   

Be very wary about Lose for Lawrence because you may be doing it in vain. 

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 02:08:59 pm »

Lose for Lawrence is a very risky proposition.   The XFL comes on the scene in 2020 and wants to compete with the NFL directly.  They don't have a rule that you have to be three years out of high school to go pro.  I'm hearing rumblings that they may offer Lawrence a pro contract that's worth quite a few million (slightly less than a top five draft pick).  And he'll probably take that deal.   

Be very wary about Lose for Lawrence because you may be doing it in vain. 

He would be an idiot.
Seafort

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 05:31:26 pm »

I am calling this right now - with Rosen now on board, Miami will not be drafting a quarterback in 2020. They may end up with the Number One pick overall, but what they will simply do is trade down for additional draft choices. These can be used to get offensive linemen, a wide receiver, and a top running back. Same strategy as Cleveland in 2016 or 2017.

With that, if Miami is still 2-14 and Rosen is shown not to be the answer, then they will draft a quarterback in 2021. But Tua will never be a Dolphin, unless Stephen Ross intervenes.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 08:42:16 am »

He would be an idiot.

You really think so?   To make his millions a year earlier than normal?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 11:16:48 am »

LOL ... You haven't been paying attention to him if you really think that. He is basically Tim Tebow II. He sad this before last year's big game and apparently is why the big stage doesn't get to him. I don't see him all of a sudden making decisions based of money. 

Lawernce said  “Football’s important to me, but it’s not my life. It’s not the biggest thing in my life. I would say my faith is. That just comes from knowing who I am outside of that. No matter how the big the situation is, it’s not going to define me.”

Listening to mostly Christian music before each game, Lawrence, says he stays grounded in his play on the field by remembering where his priorities fall.

“I put my identity in what Christ says, who He thinks I am and who I know that He says I am,” the freshman said. “Like I said, it really does not matter what people think of me or how good they think I play. That does not really matter. That has been a big thing for me, in my situation, just knowing that and having confidence in that.”

and this is what he said recently about entering the draft early ...

"I know, personally, if I would have been able to leave [for the NFL], I would not be ready for all the things that would be thrown at me at that level," he said. "It's a lot of stuff that people don't see and don't realize."

Lawrence just wants to freeze the moment as best he can.

Sure, he owns this town and a place in Clemson history, but what about paying the rent, putting a shopping list together, cleaning the new apartment?

"Right now, I'm sitting here going into my sophomore year," Lawrence said. "It's gone by so fast. I don't want to speed anything up anymore."

"I think it's kind of scary for any teenager to think about being an actual adult on your own," Lawrence said. "I've gone from getting on campus to living in the freshman dorm where everything is taken care of for more. Now [I'm] off campus, finding somewhere to live, paying rent, learning how to function on [my] own."

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 12:21:56 pm »

The top salary in the XFL is $600,000 per year.  And unlike the AFL the rules make it more challenging to move to the NFL after the season. 

Add in how much players got burnt on the AFL and I can’t see anyone playing for them unless it is clear the NFL has no interest in them.  Top tier sophomores aren’t joining the XFL.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 01:00:18 pm »

Absolutely. Non guaranteed money in a league that folded once and likely will again, especially if the league tries to pay NFL size salaries.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray