Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:59:07 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Undrafted Free Agent thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Undrafted Free Agent thread  (Read 1368 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« on: April 29, 2019, 10:48:36 am »

2019 Miami Dolphins Undrafted free agency signings.

Here's a list of players Miami has signed so far.

WR Preston Williams, Colorado State.

WR Trenton Irwin, Stanford.

TE Chris Myarick, Temple.

RB Patrick Laird, California.

T Aaron Monteiro, Boston College.

G Ryan Anderson, Wake Forest.

G Shaq Calhoun, Mississippi State.

C Kirk Barron, Perdue.

DE Jonathan Ledbetter, Georgia.

DE Dewayne Hendrix, Pittsburgh.

OLB Terrill Hanks, New Mexico State.

ILB Tre Watson, Maryland.

CB Kyron Brown, Akron.

CB Nik Needham, UTEP.

CB Rob Rolle, Villanova.

CB Montre Hartage, Northwestern.

CB Tyler Horton, Boise State.

LS Wes Farnsworth, Nevada.

P Stone Wilson, FIU.

Minicamp invites.

WR Darrell Langham, UM.

CB Jhavonte Dean, UM.

Will try to update the list as we move along.

Added:- May 28.

C Kirk Barron, Perdue.

DE Dewayne Hendrix, Pittsburgh.

P Stone Wilson, FIU.

Added:-May 29.

RB Patrick Laird, California.

TE Chris Myarick, Temple.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miamidolphins/comments/bi74xv/2019_miami_dolphins_undrafted_free_agency_signings/

Talks are Preston Williams, WR could be good, he's tall, but has off the field concerns and didn't test well at his pro day.  Ledbetter, DE has potential as well, as does Shaq Calhoun, G.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 11:03:28 am »

That's a huge list of UFA but considering we had about 40 spots to fill for camp prior to the draft I guess it makes sense. We have so many holes if I was a UFA I'd definitely choose Miami as odds are several will get to stay.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 11:25:29 am »

The only ones I am familiar with are Ledbetter, Hanks, and Watson.   Ledbetter doesn't impress me.  Watson is "meh", but i did like Hanks as a late round or free agent as he has some upside as an outside pass rusher. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 11:52:13 am »

Preston Williams can be a good NFL talent but he needs a therapist and an attitude check in a bad way. If he can have some sort of personal breakthrough, he can be something special for us.

Genuinely excited that we are basically starting with a clean slate. Yeah, it's better to have a team of great talent than question marks but some guys just need the opportunity to play every day and that is something we can offer better than any other team this season.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:17:43 pm »

That's a huge list of UFA but considering we had about 40 spots to fill for camp prior to the draft I guess it makes sense. We have so many holes if I was a UFA I'd definitely choose Miami as odds are several will get to stay.

I think Miami is a great destination of a UDFA, but that is not my top reason.  Both the GM and coach are disciple of Bill Belichick.  Belichick moreso than most other GMs and coaches doesn't care if you are an UDFA or the 1st pick overall, he is going to judge you solely on what you can do in games and practices in the NFL and doesn't give a hoot what you did in college or where you were drafted.  Odds are if BB was running the Jets in 2010 3rd round pick McKight would have been cut rather than the better UDFA Whitehead.  This isn't to say an UDFA can't win a spot on other teams over players with a high draft pick, but on most teams for an UDFA to beat out a high pick the UDFA needs to be significantly better, on the Patriots the UDFA just needs to be slightly better.  I suspect that Grier and Flores have brought that philosophy to Miami.

So if I was an UDFA my top two choice would be NE and Mia.  

Choosing among those two teams I would then assess my competition.  For most positions the competition is stiffer in NE.  For two reasons the talent to begin with was greater on the World Champions than a 7-9 team another reason is that Mia has been jettisoning players for picks.      

A third factor is in Mia a UDFA might not even need to be better to beat out a vet.  If an expensive vet is slightly better than a dirt cheap UDFA, BB (and most other GMs) would be more inclined to keep the better more expensive player because he wants to win his 9th superbowl ring this year, on the other hand Grier might choose the younger less expensive player to build with and save money for FA splash next year.  

If I was an UDFA, whose primary goal was to make a roster, any roster; Miami would be my first choice.  

FA chasing a ring before I retire....not so much.  

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 08:24:51 pm »

There were quite a few players I thought would go in the 4th or 5th rounds that didn't get drafted.   The biggest ones were Tyree Jackson and Gerald Willis.   

As one GM put it, "The late round picks are not much different from the UDFAs"

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray