Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:00:03 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  I learned something very disturbing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: I learned something very disturbing  (Read 4627 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 09:40:19 pm »

The key case is Warren vs District of Columbia.

In this case, three women were being attacked by two men.  One of them called for the police to help.  The officers came, but for unknown reasons, decided not to help them and allowed the attack to continue.  The women sued, and courts decided that the officers had no obligation to help them.                 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 09:54:39 am »

You can sue a city for building a sidewalk without wheelchair access, but you can't sue them for never building a sidewalk in that location to begin with.
That is incorrect. There are many different situations where Federal law dictates you must install an accessible route. No one can just decide not to and lack of funds is not a legal excuse.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 10:38:16 am »

That is incorrect. There are many different situations where Federal law dictates you must install an accessible route. No one can just decide not to and lack of funds is not a legal excuse.

This is a completely irrelevant diversion from the issue at hand....cops lacking the legal obligation to do what taxpayers pay then to do.  But ADA only applies to what must be included in new construction or remodels.  So yes ADA can require a sidewalk be built when building a new library, it can’t be used to force a municipality to build a sidewalk to an existing library unless extensive renovation is being done.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 11:27:54 am »

This is a completely irrelevant diversion from the issue at hand....cops lacking the legal obligation to do what taxpayers pay then to do.  But ADA only applies to what must be included in new construction or remodels.  So yes ADA can require a sidewalk be built when building a new library, it can’t be used to force a municipality to build a sidewalk to an existing library unless extensive renovation is being done.
That is true to an extent but it can if they have been notified it doesn't meet and someone is not able to access something just as non-handicap people can. Like I said ... it's a civil rights issue and covers a wide range of whether or not everyone has the same rights.  Many municipalities in Florida were sued by ADA organizations in the late 90s and early 2000s for lack of ADA accessibility. As a result each one had to come up with a plan to bring everything into compliance under their jurisdiction.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 01:17:01 pm »

That is true to an extent but it can if they have been notified it doesn't meet and someone is not able to access something just as non-handicap people can. Like I said ... it's a civil rights issue and covers a wide range of whether or not everyone has the same rights.  Many municipalities in Florida were sued by ADA organizations in the late 90s and early 2000s for lack of ADA accessibility. As a result each one had to come up with a plan to bring everything into compliance under their jurisdiction.

However,  Parkland Students v Scot Peterson was dismissed, because Peterson had no legal duty to protect the students even though he had been paid hundreds of thousands of dollar over multiple years to do just that. 

So lets assume what you say about ADA is true.   One has a civil right to a wheel chair ramp to their school, but no civil right to expect that police offers are going to respond to a school shooting.  This shows just how fucked up it is that we pay cops yet they are not required to do their job. 

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 01:39:51 pm »

The key case is Warren vs District of Columbia.

In this case, three women were being attacked by two men.  One of them called for the police to help.  The officers came, but for unknown reasons, decided not to help them and allowed the attack to continue.  The women sued, and courts decided that the officers had no obligation to help them.                 

Perhaps, but in Latham District County Court four bystanders were convicted of ridiculing a man being robbed, and failing to aid him.  The four were sentenced to a year in jail.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 02:40:38 pm »

Perhaps, but in Latham District County Court four bystanders were convicted of ridiculing a man being robbed, and failing to aid him.  The four were sentenced to a year in jail.

It was the ridiculing part that got them in trouble, there is no general obligation to aid.  But to the extent that bystanders are held to a higher standard for rendering aid than the police, I consider a serious flaw. 

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 07:43:10 pm »

Strong Seinfeld reference.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 08:28:26 pm »

Shocked Effin brilliant Masterfins. And great catch EKnight. Kudos to you guys! I just had a DUH moment. Here’s a Bud Light for you two Real Men of Genius. Bravo
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:31:14 pm by stinkfish » Logged

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 08:01:25 am »

Strong Seinfeld reference.

Too funny, I was thinking the same thing.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 11:25:01 am »

The police have discretion. Courts have always recognized this. They do this, primarily - insofar as I understand it - due to limited manpower/resources to tackle every threat.

So yes, they can decline service to you. It sucks, but the police aren't omnipotent.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray