Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:42 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Something Miami needs to do
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Something Miami needs to do  (Read 4222 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 09:26:35 pm »

If Flores declares Rex Ryan style that he choose an AFCE team specifically so he can dethrone BB and then goes 6-10 he becomes the butt of jokes.  If he take the Dolphins to 6-10 with current expectations he has a shot at CoY.
No coach that goes 6-10 would ever be considered for COTY, especially for a team that finished with 7 wins the previous season.  Gregg Williams went 5-3 with a team that had won 3 of its previous 40 games; he received exactly zero votes for 2018 COTY.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 09:32:44 pm »

Every season, your goal should be the Super Bowl.

Can you imagine if this worked this way in business?

"Ok guys, this is our first week open in our product making business."  We are rebuilding, so this year, we will only make fifty percent of our products correctly.  The rest, it's okay if we screw up on"
Are you aware that Tesla lost millions of dollars every year for nearly a decade?  That Amazon - founded in 1994 - didn't have a total net profit until 2009?

You could not have picked a worse example.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 09:21:38 am »

Are you saying Marino was a great quarterback?

That contradicts what you implied earlier about how his failure to win the Super Bowl was all on him.

No contradiction at all.  I do consider Marino a great QB.  I just don’t consider him to be among the greatest of all times, not even the greatest in his draft class but he was still great.

My point with Marino is if you are a coach of an NFL team with a QB of Marinos ability and can’t construct a winning game plan, then that is too serious of a blemish to consider the coach on the level of Belichick, Lombardi, Walsh, and Noll.  Still a top ten coach, but overrated by those who consider him the greatest of all time.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 06:02:40 pm »

Hoodie, if Belichick somehow traded Brady for Mahomes, and continued coaching him while he set all sorts of offensive records but doesn't win a Super Bowl with him, would that remove Belichick from the all-time greatest list?

Shula's ranking as a coach was pretty well established before Marino was drafted.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:04:17 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 10:44:11 pm »

Hoodie, if Belichick somehow traded Brady for Mahomes, and continued coaching him while he set all sorts of offensive records but doesn't win a Super Bowl with him, would that remove Belichick from the all-time greatest list?

Shula's ranking as a coach was pretty well established before Marino was drafted.

Belichick has 6 championships, 2 more than anyone else. Shula coached for a billion years and has two — same as Parcells and Caughlin.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 02:09:38 am »

No contradiction at all.  I do consider Marino a great QB.  I just don’t consider him to be among the greatest of all times, not even the greatest in his draft class but he was still great.

My point with Marino is if you are a coach of an NFL team with a QB of Marinos ability and can’t construct a winning game plan, then that is too serious of a blemish to consider the coach on the level of Belichick, Lombardi, Walsh, and Noll.  Still a top ten coach, but overrated by those who consider him the greatest of all time.

Wait, now you're talking about Shula?  I thought this was about Marino.

Before my new direction, I disagree.  I just think there are far too many other factors in play to consider.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 03:55:35 am »

Belichick has 6 championships, 2 more than anyone else. Shula coached for a billion years and has two — same as Parcells and Caughlin.
Lombardi has 3 NFL championships and 2 Super Bowl championships.
So either NFL championships count, in which case Belichick has only one more than Lombardi and Shula has 3 total, or they don't, in which case Shula and Lombardi won the same number of Super Bowls.

It bears mentioning that Shula also has 5 conference championships, more than any coach not named Bill Belichick which ties him with Tom Landry for #2 all-time.  So let's not go overboard with the downplaying of Shula's accomplishments.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:25:34 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 04:01:27 am »

Lombardi has 3 NFL championships and 2 Super Bowl championships.
So either NFL championships count, in which case Belichick has only one more than Lombardi and Shula has 3 total, or they don't, in which case Shula and Lombardi won the same number of Super Bowls.

It bears mentioning that Shula also has 5 conference championships, more than any coach not named Bill Belichick.  So let's not go overboard with the downplaying of Shula's accomplishments.

Shula was a thug, and a criminal, so I don't think anything he did matters anyway. 

Belichick is overrated, IMO.  If not for him, the Patriots would have won three consecutive Super Bowls, and possibly five.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 04:05:07 am »

If you want to talk Belichick....

If you are coach and have the most talented team by far in the history of the NFL (2007 Patriots) and you can't even win a Super Bowl, shouldn't that be a blemish on you?

It should be noted that in that game, he made a very dumb decision, which he often does in the playoffs.  When the Patriots were facing fourth down inside NYG territory early in the fourth quarter, he chose to go for a very long fourth down, rather than simply try a field goal.

Of course, that's not nearly as stupid as benching one of the best cornerbacks in the game. 

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 02:05:08 pm »

Belicheat is a "system" HC, nothing special about him.  Tom Brady has won SB's in spite of Bill's poor game management.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 03:03:41 pm »

If you want to talk Belichick....

Nope
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 04:35:31 pm »

Belicheat is a "system" HC, nothing special about him.  Tom Brady has won SB's in spite of Bill's poor game management.
I doubt Brady helped Belichick's "poor game management" hold the #2 offense in the league to 3 points.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray