Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:38:37 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Why is it so hard to write a series finale?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Why is it so hard to write a series finale?  (Read 3057 times)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 12:21:10 pm »

For instance, one of my all-time favorite series is Malazan Book of the Fallen.

mine too !!!! .. isn't it a collaboration between 2 authors ?
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 12:50:38 pm »

mine too !!!! .. isn't it a collaboration between 2 authors ?

Well, the "world" is a collaboration. Steven Erikson wrote all the (10) books in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. About half-way through the other guy, Ian Esslemont, started publishing his own books in the same world. This was, AFAIK, the plan all along and I have no idea on when the books were actually written or anything. Esslemont's books are supposedly completely consistent with Erikson's books, so there has clearly been a lot of collaboration. The books themselves are not collaborations, though.

I haven't read any of Esslemont's books. Not sure why. I think I definitely need to put at least one on my reading list.

Esslemont's books, by the way, seem to take unexplored (or under-explored) aspects of the main series and tells that part of the story. For instance, his first book is the story of what happened that night of the "regime change". His second book is the story of the Crimson Guard after Esslemont's books.

As such, it doesn't seem like Esslemont's series constitutes an  "epic series" in the same sense as Erikson's, but more a collection of disparate books (that I imagine are quite readable in any order, but recommended after the main series) taking place in the same world.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray