Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:55:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Avengers Endgame
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Avengers Endgame  (Read 3100 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 03:27:16 pm »

that's the same flawed thinking that claims that affirmative action programs are racist .. and that true equality would mean that we don't take race into consideration at any point .. because we should just live in a society that treats everyone equally.  The problem is, that isn't reality .. we have inherent biases and you need to start somewhere to correct these biases .. and if people don't correct them in action then they need to be corrected in law.  Equal pay laws are the same, yet women still make 70 cents on the dollar compared to men in the exact same positions. That's why the US women's soccer team (a much, MUCH more successful team than the us men's soccer team) makes less money than the men with absolutely no reason for it, the women sell out as many stadiums as the US men do, the governing organization is the same and yet .. less money.

Provide proof please, because what you stated is not true.  Professional sports does not equate an average person's occupation, and isn't a good example.  While you drum that up, I'll just put this here:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/04/google-pay-equity-analysis/
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 04:09:19 pm »

I recognize that the girl moment isn't "earned".  MCU has been pretty poor with representation in lead roles, in general.  Of 22 films, the lead has been a white dude in 20 of them....and all of them until very recently.  And even of the women in that shot, they're mostly a C-list squad of side-support characters.  So, I get that it's pandering.

But I think it's better than not having it.  And it will be meaningful to people who haven't seen themselves represented on-screen, like my daughter, who will love the shit out of it.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 06:49:09 pm »

It was a pandering, forced moment so the MCU could show off it's female representation.  Just like they've forced Captain Marvel, who is a terrible addition in her current capacity, to keep up with one of DCs few successes in Wonder Woman.
Was Black Panther also "forced pandering"?  Or does the difference between "forced pandering" and "organic diversity" simply boil down to whether the movie ends up good?

Did they have a scene in which the men stood together dramatically as a symbol of manhood and masculine power? No.
Sure they did: with Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man right before they fought Thanos.  But you don't notice that, because those characters are not male heroes or white heroes; they're just heroes.  So showing them can't be "pandering."

This is exactly the problem.  When it's women, it's forced pandering, but when it's men, that's just Normal.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 07:19:37 pm »

^This sort of baiting doesn't deserve a response.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray