Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:40:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Avengers Endgame
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Avengers Endgame  (Read 3110 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 21, 2019, 01:42:36 pm »

I finally got around to watching this. I feel like I was the last person I know.  I really enjoyed it during the movie and the night of.

However, the next couple have days, I've started to think about the logistics of the ending and the real-world implications.  I can't help but think that everything in the entire world would be hugely problematic and screwed up and there are a bunch of issues that need serious addressing.

So many issues, in fact, that it might be easier to just forget it ever happened and just make new stories because trying to explain any of it or reconcile what it means would totally cripple the entire universe of story-telling.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 02:01:02 pm »

What did you think of the all girl Avengers assemble scene.  I found it quite cringy. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:10:57 pm »

^ I liked it a lot.

It was just fan-service for that particular group of characters, just like all of the other 3 hours of consistent fan service.  A-Force, Asguardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man's OG helmet....it was just reference after reference to the MCU and comics both.  It was neat to see them have that moment.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:44:32 pm »

What did you think of the all girl Avengers assemble scene.  I found it quite cringy. 

Did you find the all male lineup against thanos at the beginning of act 3 also cringy?
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 05:59:54 pm »

It was a bit forced but the only problem I had with it is they were "helping" Capt. Marvel. I'm like, she's the most powerful one out of them, and probably more powerful than some of the guys (I haven't seen her solo movie). Out of all the people that needed help, she was not one of them.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 06:18:17 pm »

It wasn't fan service, it was pandering and forced as Cathal said.   
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 08:34:55 pm »

Did you find the all male lineup against thanos at the beginning of act 3 also cringy?
I thought it was cringy when they put the four white guys together to go back to 2012 and get the 3 stones from NYC.

obvious identity politics and political correctness run amok

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:53:12 am »

It wasn't fan service, it was pandering and forced as Cathal said.   

Fan service is pandering.  The women lineup scene is just not pandering to you.  My daughter will love that....sometimes things aren't designed just to please you.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 10:10:18 am »

Fan service is pandering.  The women lineup scene is just not pandering to you.  My daughter will love that....sometimes things aren't designed just to please you.
I understand things aren't designed just to please me.  Wonder Woman wasn't designed to please me, and I still found that to be a good movie from top to bottom.  The scene in Endgame was corny and erased the immersion of the movie at best, and is pushing an agenda at worst.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 11:44:37 am »

I don't mean to be a dick when I say it's not for you.  I literally mean that the scene is there and it made someone else really happy.  What was cringey for you would be great for my 8 year old daughter that loves when all the girls get together in cartoon shows.

I found a lot of stuff cringey, like Stark meeting his Dad and Cap running into Peggy's Carter's desk.  All that stuff is equally non-sensical, convenient, and only there to illicit an emotion.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

In terms of agenda, what agenda is being pushed by having a group-shot of the women?

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 12:22:38 pm »

In terms of agenda, what agenda is being pushed by having a group-shot of the women?

the uber-liberal feminist agenda that has an issue with the inherent concept that a group of male super-heroes is normal and proper but a group of female super heroes is "cringy" and somehow only done for an "agenda" .. that agenda
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 01:06:25 pm »

^A less smug version of that.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 01:15:47 pm »

^A less smug version of that.

No seriously, though.  What agenda is being pushed by having a group shot of women?  I literally don't understand the agenda, unless you were from some backwards culture where women require men to congregate or something.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 01:52:40 pm »

No seriously, though.  What agenda is being pushed by having a group shot of women?  I literally don't understand the agenda, unless you were from some backwards culture where women require men to congregate or something.
It was a pandering, forced moment so the MCU could show off it's female representation.  Just like they've forced Captain Marvel, who is a terrible addition in her current capacity, to keep up with one of DCs few successes in Wonder Woman.  There are organic ways to go about this, for instance, I had no issue with the all women fight scene in Infinity War.  But for all of them to magically be in the same spot at the same time for a cheesy scene of "look what I can do...now look what I can do!" speaks of one of two things:  Bad writing because they wanted a "girl power / A-Team" scene and couldn't find a way to make it fit organically, or hopping on the feminism liberal bandwagon other studios and movies seems to be dipping their toes into.  I believe it was just bad writing, but I wouldn't rule out the later.

Edit:  I found this reddit comment after I posted that sums it up pretty well:

I think it felt very forced and slightly cringy. But I can understand its purpose.

For those in the comments claiming feminism- I agree with the fact that we need representation in movies. But this scene I think took away my attention from the action to make me think “ah yes, they needed something for feminists. A scene in which the women all stand together for a moment to show their girl-power.”

Did they have a scene in which the men stood together dramatically as a symbol of manhood and masculine power? No. True gender equality would have had them just working together to win. Not having them have their own separate moment.

Someone in the comments said that movies need this so that seeing women in films can be normal, or something like that. It’s difficult to find a scene like this normal and feminist when it’s meant to stand out and continue separating women from men.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:59:43 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:03 pm »

It was a pandering, forced moment so the MCU could show off it's female representation.  Just like they've forced Captain Marvel, who is a terrible addition in her current capacity, to keep up with one of DCs few successes in Wonder Woman.  There are organic ways to go about this, for instance, I had no issue with the all women fight scene in Infinity War.  But for all of them to magically be in the same spot at the same time for a cheesy scene of "look what I can do...now look what I can do!" speaks of one of two things:  Bad writing because they wanted a "girl power / A-Team" scene and couldn't find a way to make it fit organically, or hopping on the feminism liberal bandwagon other studios and movies seems to be dipping their toes into.  I believe it was just bad writing, but I wouldn't rule out the later.

Edit:  I found this reddit comment after I posted that sums it up pretty well:

I think it felt very forced and slightly cringy. But I can understand its purpose.

For those in the comments claiming feminism- I agree with the fact that we need representation in movies. But this scene I think took away my attention from the action to make me think “ah yes, they needed something for feminists. A scene in which the women all stand together for a moment to show their girl-power.”

Did they have a scene in which the men stood together dramatically as a symbol of manhood and masculine power? No. True gender equality would have had them just working together to win. Not having them have their own separate moment.

Someone in the comments said that movies need this so that seeing women in films can be normal, or something like that. It’s difficult to find a scene like this normal and feminist when it’s meant to stand out and continue separating women from men.

that's the same flawed thinking that claims that affirmative action programs are racist .. and that true equality would mean that we don't take race into consideration at any point .. because we should just live in a society that treats everyone equally.  The problem is, that isn't reality .. we have inherent biases and you need to start somewhere to correct these biases .. and if people don't correct them in action then they need to be corrected in law.  Equal pay laws are the same, yet women still make 70 cents on the dollar compared to men in the exact same positions. That's why the US women's soccer team (a much, MUCH more successful team than the us men's soccer team) makes less money than the men with absolutely no reason for it, the women sell out as many stadiums as the US men do, the governing organization is the same and yet .. less money.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray