Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:32:51 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Training camp notes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Training camp notes  (Read 5704 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 03:53:15 pm »

Omar is a hack, I take everything he says with a grain of salt.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 05:29:31 pm »

But isn't that the problem with Fitzpatrick? He can be very, very good for stretches, but then suddenly turns into a pumpkin.
Not at all. He puts up big numbers in games. Parker disappears once they start hitting as he gets hurt.

Omar is a hack, I take everything he says with a grain of salt.
He can be an ass and somewhat of a racist but I don't know about him being a hack. Although they may not agree with some of his assessments .... too many in the know look to him for information.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 11:31:35 pm »

But isn't that the problem with Fitzpatrick? He can be very, very good for stretches, but then suddenly turns into a pumpkin.

That is precisely the problem.   I know all about him.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 11:21:30 am »

I agree it isn’t really a camp battle.  But I disagree that Fitz is the smart choice to start the season.  

If Flores/Grier primary goal is to beat the Ravens than Fitz is the best choice.  If their primary goal is to determine if the QB of the future is already on the roster or if they need to use their first round pick on a QB in 2020, then Rosen the obvious choice.
There's 16 games on the schedule. There's plenty of time to let the thing work itself out, you don't need to force the issue. If after 8 games the team is 2-6 and Rosen hasn't played, then it's time to put Rosen in. Before that there's no rush to get him on the field. The only "downside" would be if Miami is say 4-4 after 8 games and Fitz is playing well, then it would be hard to put Rosen in, but then if that's the case Miami isn't going to be in a draft position to take one of the top rated QB's in the next draft anyway so they'd have to use all of their draft chips to try to move up to get one which might not be a wise thing to do and maybe they just stick with Fitz and Rosen for another year and keep building the roster around them for another year. That's not necessarily a bad thing either.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:28:59 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 04:57:59 pm »

Does it matter to anyone that Fitz looks way better than Rosen in practice? Channng Crowder said today it looks like a competition between Chad Pennington vs Chad Henne meaning there really isn't a competition to this point.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 10:39:07 pm »

it really doesn't matter tho .. i think QB right now is an afterthought this season with a random flyer taken out on rosen
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 10:45:41 am »

it really doesn't matter tho .. i think QB right now is an afterthought this season with a random flyer taken out on rosen
That's where I am too but it seems like many people are worried about the Fitz/Rosen thing. To me ... it seems like I want the worst one to play this year but I don't know that the better of the two is good enough to get this under-talented team to very many wins. I want a QB, like Baker Mayfield, that shows potential from the beginning rather than a QB that has to grow into the position. We've been failing at that for 20 years.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 12:21:53 pm »

Just saw an article from the Palm Beach Post that referred to Rosen as ChosenRosen. So now we have FitzMagic vs ChosenRosen. 😂🤣😂

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 12:51:07 pm »

I agree it isn’t really a camp battle.  But I disagree that Fitz is the smart choice to start the season. 

If Flores/Grier primary goal is to beat the Ravens than Fitz is the best choice.  If their primary goal is to determine if the QB of the future is already on the roster or if they need to use their first round pick on a QB in 2020, then Rosen the obvious choice.

I have to agree.  I was thinking about this the other day, and the Dolphins need to start Rosen, and have him play at least the first ten games of the season to try and determine whether he is a franchise QB.  Rosen has already suffered through a rookie year, and if he learned anything he should show an improvement (even on another poor team like the Dolphins).  Had the Dolphins not traded away, or let FA's go to other teams, then I would want to see Fitz because he is obviously more experienced and gives the team a better shot at winning games.

Part of this throwaway season is to determine if Rosen can be the long term answer, you can't use meaningless games at the end of the season to do that.  For those that say well there are good QB's coming out in 2021, that would mean the Dolphins would have to tank another season to have hopes of getting one of those guys; and the fans won't put up with that.

Also, two years down the road there could be substantial more competition to draft a QB, with guys like Dalton, Brady, Roethlisberger, Flacco,  and others entering retirement.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 01:01:51 pm »

I say this with a straight face: DeVante Parker has been the best offensive player this camp.

Wow, what a surprise.  Could it be that Parker is basically on a one-year incentive laden contract, and if he doesn't show massive improvement he'll be out of the league (or relegated to the bottom of the depth chart on another team).??
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 01:24:32 pm »

Wow, what a surprise.  Could it be that Parker is basically on a one-year incentive laden contract, and if he doesn't show massive improvement he'll be out of the league (or relegated to the bottom of the depth chart on another team).??
He wins that title every season and you see how that has turned out.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 01:35:30 pm »

He wins that title every season and you see how that has turned out.

Yep.  The Herald had an article this week with the headline being something about how this could be "the year" for him.  I believe it is the same article they have written each of the last 3 years and they just change the date every year when they run it.  The only way to avoid being disappointed with Parker when the regular season starts is to have zero belief in him to begin with.  I have zero belief in him.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 10:06:56 am »

I love the way the rules have worked out for signing rookies. This used to be such a painstaking experince where you never knew if your best recruit would ever sign.

Armando Salguero

Verified account

@ArmandoSalguero
 4m4 minutes ago
More
Dolphins have agreed to contract terms with third round pick Michael Deiter. All Miami’s picks are now done.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 04:33:51 pm »

I love the way the rules have worked out for signing rookies. This used to be such a painstaking experince where you never knew if your best recruit would ever sign.

Armando Salguero

Verified account

@ArmandoSalguero
 4m4 minutes ago
More
Dolphins have agreed to contract terms with third round pick Michael Deiter. All Miami’s picks are now done.

The rookie wage scale is great.   No more rookies holding out till the end of training camp or being handed $30 million before they even set foot on an NFL practice field.   The downside is that you pretty much have to have young players on your roster at most positions or it will cripple your cap as 5/6 year players are demanding big bucks. 

Look at the Bucs right now.   60% of their salary cap is going to four players.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray