Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:40:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Training camp notes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Training camp notes  (Read 5661 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:04:20 pm »

After last week when Josh Rosen looked like the new guy he has come back and was lights out today. (no pads)

Adam Beasley reported ... Last week’s open practice was not Rosen’s best day.

This week’s was spectacular, aside from a poor throw picked off by rookie defensive back Montre Hartage.

He threw more touchdown passes than we could count.

Some of the players commented about him too ...

▪ Brice Butler: “He’s a young arm, so he can throw the ball, dart it, 30, 40 yards down the field. He can throw the lob ball. He’s got a strong, aggressive arm.”

▪ Preston Williams: “Nice, tight spiral.”

▪ Kenny Stills: ”I don’t know what the right word is for it, but it doesn’t look like it’s coming fast and then it gets in front of your face and you see it’s spinning well and it’s got some velocity behind it. He’s a great player. He’s got a bright future.”

Adam Beasley -
Now all Rosen needs is for Ryan Fitzpatrick to look mortal. Because Fitzpatrick, Rosen’s competition in the Dolphins’ quarterback battle, has been lights out in the two practices open to reporters.

He was fantastic Tuesday — connecting with Stills on a home run ball here, hooking up with a wide open Durham Smythe there and finding DeVante Parker everywhere.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:44:28 pm »

Fitzpatrick will look lights out for a couple games.   Then you'll see what he's really made of.  Trust me. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:32:14 pm »

It is really hard to judge a team based on camp practice.  The offense dominated— does that mean the offense is real good or does it mean the defense is real bad?  Likewise if the defense dominates - does it mean you have a shutdown defense or an inept offense.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 07:57:18 am »

It is really hard to judge a team based on camp practice.  The offense dominated— does that mean the offense is real good or does it mean the defense is real bad?  Likewise if the defense dominates - does it mean you have a shutdown defense or an inept offense.

Agreed.  I put next to nothing into what comes out of camp.  About the only thing I'm looking at in camp is how healthy the guys coming off injuries from last year are looking and whether anyone looks grossly out of shape from the off season.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 08:38:46 am »

What's great about these OTA's is compare the tweets from the Doom & Gloom Team of Armando & Omar to other beat reporters like Beaslely and Jackson.

Yes, I don't put too much into the OTA's, but it'a also nice to see good play from everyone.

I know I've made fun of DVP last season and his "inactive" jersey that I've posted here, but I would love to eat crow and him come out and have a breakout season with a guy who can sling the rock (and this goes for both guys now)

DVP killed it in the HOU game Thurs nite last year and the potential is there for sure.  Hopefully it can all come together this season under a new coach and fresh start

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 08:50:38 am »

DVP is going to have the best year of his career this year.  Fitz is going to throw more jump balls to him than he'll know what to do with, and Rosen is good with the deep ball too.  That being said, he could still be disappointing.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 09:29:48 am »

I find it nice that Rosen seems to have made significant strides with the offense in just a week. Parker doesn't impress me at all. He always looks good without pads and that is why everyone thinks he has potential. Once pads are on he shows how weak he is ... and then he gets hurt. He'll have to do well during the season before I even think about changing my mind on him. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 01:02:21 pm »

I find it nice that Rosen seems to have made significant strides with the offense in just a week. Parker doesn't impress me at all. He always looks good without pads and that is why everyone thinks he has potential. Once pads are on he shows how weak he is ... and then he gets hurt. He'll have to do well during the season before I even think about changing my mind on him.  
Meh, it's time to move on from Parker. Even if he has a decent year it won't be worth all the time, effort, and money we've wasted on him. Trade him for a middle of the road but serviceable lineman on the O or D. We have other needs and we don't need to waste anymore time on Parker. He is who we think he is..........

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 10:26:26 am »

Meh, it's time to move on from Parker. Even if he has a decent year it won't be worth all the time, effort, and money we've wasted on him. Trade him for a middle of the road but serviceable lineman on the O or D. We have other needs and we don't need to waste anymore time on Parker. He is who we think he is..........

The Dolphins *just* signed him to an extension, so he's not going anywhere this season - and likely next either, unless he totally bombs.

I was a bit worried when the team picked up his 5th year option last spring (for the 2019 season). He would have cost the team nearly $9.5 million just for that one year. The extension converted that to a two year deal for half a million extra total money and with only $4.5 million guaranteed (his base salary and roster bonus for this season). All in all, not a bad contract for the Dolphins.

Now Parker just needs to catch some of the balls thrown his way. He just gets outplayed and outmuscled way too often and catch rate in the 50s (%) in 3 out of 4 years just isn't good enough.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 01:42:45 pm »

Not looking to get anyone excited but just passing this along. Some notes from a Joe Shad/ Palm Beach Post article ... 

Preston Williams is doing really well at WR and everyone is taking notice.  He has size (6-foot-4, 210 pounds), speed, body control and footwork.

“He’s making some plays,” defensive back Bobby McCain said. “He’s definitely caught some eyes. And he’s a big, long receiver, big long paws. And you know just he’s definitely making some plays. As long as he keeps doing it and keeps making plays in training camp, he can hopefully earn a spot on this roster.”

“Really good,” Miami quarterback Josh Rosen said of Williams. “He’s that big body that the NFL receivers are sort of based off of in that one-on-one position. He’s a big body, a really talented guy with great hands and I’m really looking forward to developing with him.”

.....Williams went undrafted due to an off-field incident involving a woman. If not for that, he would have been drafted. Williams, who began his college career at Tennessee, had 1,345 yards receiving and 14 touchdowns last season. He’s constantly winning balls in practice and has been scoring touchdowns.

..... Williams is working to build that trust. He was humbled by falling entirely out of the NFL Draft.

“Got to earn your stripes,” Williams has tweeted. “I will emerge, don’t count me out.”
Williams can run past defenders, leap over them and keep his feet inbounds with uncanny ability.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 01:28:19 pm »

Fitzpatrick and Parker are putting on a show today.  Reporters on Twitter are acting like this is a QB battle, causing drama.  I think people know that Fitz is the smart choice to start the season and let Rosen sit and learn.

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/1136318378304593920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1136318378304593920&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fmiami-dolphins
I say this with a straight face: DeVante Parker has been the best offensive player this camp.

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1136318506146967552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1136318506146967552&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fmiami-dolphins
DeVante Parker another BOMB TD from Ryan Fitzpatrick. Parker. Killing it. Fitzpatrick. Killing it. #MiamiDolphins

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 01:57:28 pm »

Fitzpatrick and Parker are putting on a show today.  Reporters on Twitter are acting like this is a QB battle, causing drama.  I think people know that Fitz is the smart choice to start the season and let Rosen sit and learn.

I agree it isn’t really a camp battle.  But I disagree that Fitz is the smart choice to start the season. 

If Flores/Grier primary goal is to beat the Ravens than Fitz is the best choice.  If their primary goal is to determine if the QB of the future is already on the roster or if they need to use their first round pick on a QB in 2020, then Rosen the obvious choice.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 02:05:40 pm »

^Strong disagree.  I'm not saying sit and learn the entire year, unless Fitz is making a playoff push.  I'm going to predict Rosen is starting by the halfway point of the season, and even more likely he starts after the week 5 bye week.  That is a good amount of time to evaluate him for the remainder of the season.

There are some good QBs in 2020, but there are also good QBs in 2021, namely Trevor Lawrence.  I'd be perfectly happy building a solid team in the 2020 draft, and drafting a QB in 2021 if it comes to that.  The only people saying the sort of thing you stated are armchair GMs and the media.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:07:46 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 02:48:26 pm »

To hear Omar speak the QB battle isn't even close. He says Fitz is ahead by a mile. The one thing I will say that I agree with him on is this. Fitz is like the lowest common denominator you'd want as a starter so if Rosen can't beat him then we need to definitely keep drafting them until we do.  

As it stands Rosen isn't playing with the ones so who knows. Pads aren't on and they aren't hitting. You know ... those times when Devante Parker disappears.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:51:29 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 03:21:35 pm »

To hear Omar speak the QB battle isn't even close. He says Fitz is ahead by a mile. The one thing I will say that I agree with him on is this. Fitz is like the lowest common denominator you'd want as a starter so if Rosen can't beat him then we need to definitely keep drafting them until we do. 

As it stands Rosen isn't playing with the ones so who knows. Pads aren't on and they aren't hitting. You know ... those times when Devante Parker disappears.

But isn't that the problem with Fitzpatrick? He can be very, very good for stretches, but then suddenly turns into a pumpkin.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray