Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:34:38 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Apple to get rid of iTunes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Apple to get rid of iTunes  (Read 1310 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« on: June 04, 2019, 08:38:30 pm »

Just saw an article yesterday that they are phasing it out.   Any thoughts on this?   Also, will people lose their songs that they paid for?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 09:33:28 am »

From a CNET article. It looks like from the user end that it will only be a name change.

Does iTunes still work today?
Yes. Apple still advertises iTunes on the website. iTunes will continue to exist for the time being, but Apple won't support it in MacOS Catalina, the upgrade coming this fall.

Why is Apple ending iTunes?

Apple said that iTunes was initially focused on burning and mixing songs on the Mac, but then suggested it was too big and bloated, and lost its purpose. "How about calendar in iTunes?," Apple engineering lead Craig Federighi joked during the presentation. "I mean, you can have all of your appointments and your best tracks all in one app!"

Apple describes Apple Music as being extremely fast, which suggests that iTunes performance had gotten laggy.

Do I still get access to the same number of songs with Apple Music?
Yes, Apple advertises a catalog of over 50 million songs, plus collections of music videos (through Apple TV) and podcasts (through the Apple Podcasts app). Scroll to the end for more details.

Does my iTunes collection go away?

No way. Every song you've ever bought, ripped, uploaded or imported will already be part of Apple Music when you upgrade from your current Mac OS version to Catalina. All the files that are already on your computer will remain. Apple isn't liquidating anything you already own, but it will reorganize where the files live.

Even my ripped CDs, MP3s and playlists?
Yep, even those. You'll find them in your Apple Music library.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 10:13:55 am »

Much ado about nothing.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 10:45:24 am »

Funny, I just installed iTunes on the PC I use so that I could use it to transfer the Game of Thrones audiobook MP3 files.

I have found iTunes bloated since it came out, basically.  It always did more than I wanted.  I see how these individual apps are more effective.

How will I be able to transfer downloaded MP3 files over to my phone now?

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 02:06:44 pm »

Much ado about nothing.

First sign of the apocalypse will be when Apple stops making a big deal out of nothing
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray