Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:42:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  World Cup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: World Cup  (Read 9968 times)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« on: June 11, 2019, 05:00:06 pm »

team USA just set a record, largest margin of victory in a world cup game

they just beat thailand 13-0

good job team USA!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:29:59 pm »

Thai team spokesmen Phillip Daniels and Marcus Washington complained that USA was unfairly running up the score.   Smiley

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:20:30 am »

Thai team spokesmen Phillip Daniels and Marcus Washington complained that USA was unfairly running up the score.   Smiley
That's how it is played in tournament sports when point differential comes into play. If they tie Sweden, and it's possible, they will need every goal they can get. Kid tournaments are the same. I'm used to people complaining about things like that but it isn't usually soccer people. Besides ... they were only 2 touchdowns away from beating USA.

In all honesty though ... they could have shown a bit of humility and kept the celebrating to a minimum. Team is led by Alex Morgan who can have the attitude you need to just be glad I'm here although since she got into trouble at Epcot I hear she is treating people much better. I don't think Michelle Akers or Mia Hamm would have been so in your face ... but who knows.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:27:33 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:46:14 am »

I hate that argument.  If you don't want them to run up the score, don't let them score so many points.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:50:25 am »

That's how it is played in tournament sports when point differential comes into play. If they tie Sweden, and it's possible, they will need every goal they can get. Kid tournaments are the same. I'm used to people complaining about things like that but it isn't usually soccer people. Besides ... they were only 2 touchdowns away from beating USA.

I get that.  Those two were the Redskins players who started the whining about the Patriots running up the score.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:14:27 am »

m. Team is led by Alex Morgan who can have the attitude you need to just be glad I'm here although since she got into trouble at Epcot I

The uproar over that incident exemplifies the double standard between male and female athletes.  She was kicked out of a bar.  Not arrested.  Didn’t assault anyone.  Wasn’t snorting coke off the bar.  Just got into a verbal altercation and told to leave.  And it gets more outrage than  Ray Rice.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 10:21:57 am »

^As much as I hate the Patriots, and I'll jump on anything that makes them look bad, running up the score wasn't one of them.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 12:48:58 pm »

In all honesty though ... they could have shown a bit of humility and kept the celebrating to a minimum. Team is led by Alex Morgan who can have the attitude you need to just be glad I'm here although since she got into trouble at Epcot I hear she is treating people much better. I don't think Michelle Akers or Mia Hamm would have been so in your face ... but who knows.
I have a slightly different take on it, but I also agree that the US was not running up the score, they were simply playing till the final whistle blows. This happens from time to time in soccer matches where the game is clearly out of reach, but it's as much of a problem for the team that's in the lead as it is for the team that is behind. There is NOTHING worse then having your opponent STOP playing. THAT is even MORE embarrasing then a 13-0 score. If your opponent stops playing they are essentially saying you shouldn't even be on the field with us. That's what the US was trying to avoid and simply pulling the ball back and kicking it around the back is stopping to play soccer especially the way the US plays.

So while point differentials are important, this is certainly not what the US team was thinking about. They were simply showing respect to the Thai team by continuing to play till the final whistle. That's the professional thing to do. That's actually a show of respect to your opponent. It may not feel that way to people outside the sport, but within the sport it's a given.

I did have one issue and that was that the referee added 3 minutes of stoppage time to the 2nd half. What for? Neither team wanted those 3 extra minutes. C'mon add 1 min and be done with it or even better just blow the whistle at 90:00. No one is going to complain. The US scored the 13th goal in the 93rd minute, that goal would have never been scored had the referee already blown the whistle. You could argue that too was a show of respect to the Thai by the referee, but I don't think it would have been embarrasing for the ref to blow the whistle at 90:00. People both inside the sport and outside I think would have been fine with that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:55:13 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 01:14:00 pm »

Here's an idea...instead of complaining they're running up the score, just forfeit.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 01:43:19 pm »

The uproar over that incident exemplifies the double standard between male and female athletes.  She was kicked out of a bar.  Not arrested.  Didn’t assault anyone.  Wasn’t snorting coke off the bar.  Just got into a verbal altercation and told to leave.  And it gets more outrage than  Ray Rice.
I think it has more to do with her being such a b*tch when she was supposedly a US Princess.  She used to treat everyone, outside of her fans, like shit. She was just being her normal self to the police and Epcot employees. Very disrespectful. Since the incident I hear she has turned over a new leaf ... at least around the Orlando City world.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 01:46:12 pm »

I have a slightly different take on it, but I also agree that the US was not running up the score, they were simply playing till the final whistle blows. This happens from time to time in soccer matches where the game is clearly out of reach, but it's as much of a problem for the team that's in the lead as it is for the team that is behind. There is NOTHING worse then having your opponent STOP playing. THAT is even MORE embarrasing then a 13-0 score. If your opponent stops playing they are essentially saying you shouldn't even be on the field with us. That's what the US was trying to avoid and simply pulling the ball back and kicking it around the back is stopping to play soccer especially the way the US plays.

So while point differentials are important, this is certainly not what the US team was thinking about. They were simply showing respect to the Thai team by continuing to play till the final whistle. That's the professional thing to do. That's actually a show of respect to your opponent. It may not feel that way to people outside the sport, but within the sport it's a given.

I did have one issue and that was that the referee added 3 minutes of stoppage time to the 2nd half. What for? Neither team wanted those 3 extra minutes. C'mon add 1 min and be done with it or even better just blow the whistle at 90:00. No one is going to complain. The US scored the 13th goal in the 93rd minute, that goal would have never been scored had the referee already blown the whistle. You could argue that too was a show of respect to the Thai by the referee, but I don't think it would have been embarrasing for the ref to blow the whistle at 90:00. People both inside the sport and outside I think would have been fine with that.
On another note .... I really can't understand why the Thai team did not stack the box more. At about 6 goals I'd have put 9 women in the box. Ugly soccer but it would help to keep the score down. That goalie was mentally defeated way before the game was over.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 02:05:44 pm »

On another note .... I really can't understand why the Thai team did not stack the box more. At about 6 goals I'd have put 9 women in the box. Ugly soccer but it would help to keep the score down. That goalie was mentally defeated way before the game was over.

You can't win by doing that!  At about 6 goals I would have switched to a 2-3-5 formation.  Yeah, you risk losing by an even wider margin but you give yourself a chance to win.  Stack the box and your best case is LOSE by the current margin. 

Then again if I was down by 21 with 2 minutes to go in the fourth in NFL I would be going for it on 4th and kicking onside kicks rather than taking a a knee to end the game.  Go down fighting!

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 02:35:18 pm »

Bullshit
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 02:39:16 pm »

Bullshit
x2 Bullshit
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 02:42:15 pm »

I'm going to miss most of the tournament because of work. The way the ladies have been playing though, I don't expect much issue until I see the knockout schedule
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray