Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:37:44 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  License plate reflective covers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: License plate reflective covers  (Read 1711 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« on: June 26, 2019, 10:04:14 pm »

I recently purchased a plastic license plate cover that causes a reflective glare with red light cameras making them unable to read my license plate number.   I'm being told by some people that these things are illegal.   Anyone have any insight on this?

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:54:29 am »

Or you could just take the guesswork out of it and obey the traffic laws. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 08:46:22 am »

Florida Statute 320.061 
Unlawful to alter motor vehicle registration certificates, license plates, temporary license plates, mobile home stickers, or validation stickers or to obscure license plates; penalty.—A person may not alter the original appearance of a vehicle registration certificate, license plate, temporary license plate, mobile home sticker, or validation sticker issued for and assigned to a motor vehicle or mobile home, whether by mutilation, alteration, defacement, or change of color or in any other manner. A person may not apply or attach a substance, reflective matter, illuminated device, spray, coating, covering, or other material onto or around any license plate which interferes with the legibility, angular visibility, or detectability of any feature or detail on the license plate or interferes with the ability to record any feature or detail on the license plate. A person who violates this section commits a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:31:58 am »

I can’t fathom why someone would think it could be legal.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 01:27:56 pm »

Illegal as shit. Why would think otherwise? And just as an FYI for everyone, those vanity frames with a sports team or car dealership cover portions of your tag which violates the stature CF posted. Just a heads up for anyone who drives dirty.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:24:43 pm »

Or you could just take the guesswork out of it and obey the traffic laws. 

Maybe because they rig the yellow lights to turn red faster in order to catch more red light runners, and missing it by half a second counts in the eyes of the camera but any cop worth their badge would let that slide. 

It's a standard moneymaking scam for every county that does it.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 02:31:17 pm »

Illegal as shit. Why would think otherwise? And just as an FYI for everyone, those vanity frames with a sports team or car dealership cover portions of your tag which violates the stature CF posted. Just a heads up for anyone who drives dirty.

I doubt anyone is gonna care much if a small corner that doesn’t obscure any information is covered.  Purposely taking steps to prevent getting caught running red lights on the other hand.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 02:35:40 pm »

Maybe because they rig the yellow lights to turn red faster in order to catch more red light runners, and missing it by half a second counts in the eyes of the camera but any cop worth their badge would let that slide.  

It's a standard moneymaking scam for every county that does it.
They don't rig them to turn red faster and if they did they would get caught.  The Federal Highway Administration's Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) provides guidance that the yellow interval be between three and six seconds. The MUTCD are minimum standards for all the states but states can make them more stringent. I live in Seminole County and they typically run longer for safety's sake. You can go longer but you cannot make them shorter.

25 MPH -- 3.0 Seconds
30 MPH -- 3.5 Seconds
35 MPH -- 4.0 Seconds
40 MPH -- 4.5 Seconds
45 MPH -- 5.0 Seconds
50 MPH -- 5.5 Seconds
55 MPH -- 6.0 Seconds
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:42:55 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 03:37:03 pm »

They don't rig them to turn red faster and if they did they would get caught.  The Federal Highway Administration's Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) provides guidance that the yellow interval be between three and six seconds. The MUTCD are minimum standards for all the states but states can make them more stringent. I live in Seminole County and they typically run longer for safety's sake. You can go longer but you cannot make them shorter.

25 MPH -- 3.0 Seconds
30 MPH -- 3.5 Seconds
35 MPH -- 4.0 Seconds
40 MPH -- 4.5 Seconds
45 MPH -- 5.0 Seconds
50 MPH -- 5.5 Seconds
55 MPH -- 6.0 Seconds

If you are 60 in a 25 zone, reacting and stopping in 3 second particularly if you are close enough to clear the light in 3.5.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 02:17:50 pm »

I doubt anyone is gonna care much if a small corner that doesn’t obscure any information is covered.  Purposely taking steps to prevent getting caught running red lights on the other hand.

How do you think I know about this? Cops do use it to pull people over. And you went to an extreme to try to prove a point and are just wrong. Those tag frames typically cover important information like the state of issuance for one.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray