Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:15:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  This doesn't make sense
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: This doesn't make sense  (Read 1252 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: July 06, 2019, 01:33:17 pm »

https://time.com/5620569/las-vegas-police-officer-fired-mass-shooting/

This officer basically did the same thing as Peterson did in Florida.  How come Peterson was charged, while this guy was not?

What's also odd is this officer received orders to take cover, which is what Peterson did.                   

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 01:57:04 pm »

As the law is currently written the only charge that will likely stick for Peterson is perjury. 

Personally I would like to see LEOs held to the same standard as the military and make cowardice a serious criminal offense.  But that is not the current state of the law.

Both should be fired and lose all benefit (pension)

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 03:11:09 pm »

As the law is currently written the only charge that will likely stick for Peterson is perjury. 

Personally I would like to see LEOs held to the same standard as the military and make cowardice a serious criminal offense.  But that is not the current state of the law.

Both should be fired and lose all benefit (pension)
Not likely to happen with the SCOTUS rulings.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 04:21:42 pm »

Not likely to happen with the SCOTUS rulings.

Actually more of a legislative issue.  If a state passed a law making dereliction of duty a crime, there isn’t anything in the constitution to challenge that on.  The barrier is the power of police unions have in preventing any accountability of the police along with the political power they yield in the claim that holding police to any standards whatsoever is the equivalent of supporting a lawless society.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 07:16:25 pm »

Actually more of a legislative issue.  If a state passed a law making dereliction of duty a crime, there isn’t anything in the constitution to challenge that on.  The barrier is the power of police unions have in preventing any accountability of the police along with the political power they yield in the claim that holding police to any standards whatsoever is the equivalent of supporting a lawless society.
I'm not a lawyer, so maybe I'm misinterpreting. However, due to the Supremacy Clause, I wouldn't think that a state law could preempt a SCOTUS ruling. Since they have ruled that the police have no duty to protect the public, then there can be no dereliction of duty. That duty doesn't exist.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 07:51:29 pm »

I'm not a lawyer, so maybe I'm misinterpreting. However, due to the Supremacy Clause, I wouldn't think that a state law could preempt a SCOTUS ruling. Since they have ruled that the police have no duty to protect the public, then there can be no dereliction of duty. That duty doesn't exist.
I'm inclined to agree.  If SCOTUS has already weighed in and ruled that police cannot be held criminally accountable for failure to perform their duty, any law that make dereliction of duty a crime should be unconstitutional.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 07:57:54 pm »

Supremacy clause basically says that when a law passed by feds contradicts a law passed by a state, feds win.  But being feds haven’t specifically passed a law granting immunity that would be irrelevant.

S. Ct. ruling basically said citizens couldn’t sue the police because the cops don’t have a prescribed legal duty.  Said proposed law would impose such a duty.  That wouldn’t contradict the the court.  The court didn’t say the states couldn’t impose such an obligation on the police just that no common law duty currently exists.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 08:01:47 pm »

I'm inclined to agree.  If SCOTUS has already weighed in and ruled that police cannot be held criminally accountable for failure to perform their duty, any law that make dereliction of duty a crime should be unconstitutional.

To the best of my knowledge the s. ct has never heard a case regarding the criminal liability of an officers failure to act.  They have ruled that they can’t be sued civilly unless under common law.  And no state has codified a law creating such a cause of action.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 08:22:57 pm »

They actually ruled that police don't have a duty to protect a person from harm. Technically there can't be a failure to perform or dereliction of duty, since that duty doesn't actually exist according to SCOTUS.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray