Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:34:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Ross Perot has passed away.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ross Perot has passed away.  (Read 1707 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:57:37 am »

H. Ross Perot, the colorful, self-made Texas billionaire who rose from a childhood of Depression-era poverty and twice ran for president as a third-party candidate, has died. He was 89.

Perot, whose 19 per cent of the vote in 1992 stands among the best showings by an independent candidate in the past century, died early Tuesday at his home in Dallas surrounded by his devoted family, family spokesman James Fuller said.

RIP Mr. Perot.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 11:01:35 am »

Perot was the man, and Dana Carvey's version of him on SNL was the best.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 11:20:54 am »

I feel like he's the quintessential footnote of history.  Unless you lived through him, it'd hard to illustrate his relevance.  He was like the ultimate spoiler.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 01:02:58 pm »

It is a sad day, though at his age, not totally unexpected. Perot's '92 campaign was the first time I ever volunteered for a presidential candidate, and I still believe that, if he'd been elected, we wouldn't have nearly the national debt issues we're dealing with today.

...and yeah, Dana Carvey's Perot is arguably the best political impersonation ever. :-)

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 01:03:34 pm »

A famous quote of his was ""That sucking sound you hear is the sound of US jobs going to Mexico," regarding NAFTA.
He was right.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 01:12:50 pm »

My parents were leaning very strongly towards voting for him, until the VP debate. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 02:41:47 pm »

It is a sad day, though at his age, not totally unexpected. Perot's '92 campaign was the first time I ever volunteered for a presidential candidate, and I still believe that, if he'd been elected, we wouldn't have nearly the national debt issues we're dealing with today.

...and yeah, Dana Carvey's Perot is arguably the best political impersonation ever. :-)

He had a very strong chance of getting elected had he not quit then unquit.

A famous quote of his was ""That sucking sound you hear is the sound of US jobs going to Mexico," regarding NAFTA.
He was right.

That sucking sound you hear is Hillary Clinton outsourcing the labor of satisfying her husband to Monica Lewinsky.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 03:54:01 pm »

RIP. I would have guessed him older
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 03:57:44 pm »

RIP. I would have guessed him older
I know, I thought he was pushing 100.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:57:41 am »

He was right.
The sad part is that people have a lot to say about jobs leaving this country, yet when it comes time to shop they don't buy American.  The outcome is inevitable.

It seems to me that without NAFTA, there wouldn't be any more Americans with jobs, but there would be fewer Canadians and Mexicans with jobs because those jobs would be in Asia instead.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 01:00:57 am »

He had a very strong chance of getting elected had he not quit then unquit.
He had zero chance of getting elected, just like every other third-party candidate in history.  The electoral college makes third-party runs impossible; unless Perot won more states than GHWB and Bill combined, the election would have went to the (Democratic) House of Representative, who would have selected (Democrat) Bill Clinton as the 42nd President of the US.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 12:24:05 pm »

My parents were leaning very strongly towards voting for him, until the VP debate. 

Yeah that VP debate really killed his chances.  I did vote for him the second time around as a protest vote since it was clear Clinton would be easily elected.

RIP Ross
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray