Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:12:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Bulletproof vests
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Bulletproof vests  (Read 16846 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 11:32:19 am »

He didn't take back what he said. He just said he didn't mean to be insensitive.

What I learned from the range of reactions is that for many people, some information — my Tweet in particular — can be true but unhelpful, especially at a time when many people are either still in shock, or trying to heal — or both.”

Which is why his apology also garnered plenty of criticism. I didn't say he understood why what he said was wrong, but he did apologize. Maybe I would debate him if he wanted to debate it. Just because your post states some facts doesn't necessarily mean it makes any sense.

Roses are red. The sky is blue. Everything I say must be true.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:53:00 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 12:20:43 pm »

imagine if he had tweeted on sept 12th that in a week more people die from medical errors than from the twin towers collapse ..

you know .. as a helpful fact to shape the conversation ..

high IQ .. low EQ
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 12:55:23 pm »

The difference is that I didn't expect it from him. I expect it from the other idiots that can't see the difference.
So what's this big difference you speak of that the idiots can't see?

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 01:31:49 pm »

He posted facts and said people respond more to emotions than facts. Pappy is literally proving his point.

I have never agreed more with one of your non-football posts...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 02:09:47 pm »

imagine if he had tweeted on sept 12th that in a week more people die from medical errors than from the twin towers collapse ..

you know .. as a helpful fact to shape the conversation ..

high IQ .. low EQ
While I see your point, I find your examples to be another extreme false equivalence.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 02:14:15 pm »

Have a hard time understanding the point of his tweet.  

Was it that mass shootings are a relatively minor problem that isn’t worthy of the attention they were receiving?  

Or was it to encourage a greater focus in reducing medical errors or eradicating the flu, etc?

If the former, you are a fucking asshole.  If the later, I agree with your goals, but you picked a piss poor way to encourage people to get a flu shoot and I can guarantee your message won’t get thru.  

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 02:16:40 pm »

While I see your point, I find your examples to be another extreme false equivalence.

Faus post is more on point than Neil’s.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 02:25:58 pm »

Back to the original post, D4L I would suggest a Legacy Tactical Level IIIA Concealable Vest, goes for about $270, has fuller body coverage.  I'm sure it will cut into your car fund, but well worth the extra couple bucks.  Have you thought about armor plating your next ride???
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 02:45:56 pm »

Trump is blaming video games as one of the reasons for this sort of thing, and I have to say, that's fucking stupid.  Perhaps the reason why shooters play games like this is to escape their hell of a reality, and they use video games as an escape?  Nope, that would make too much sense. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 02:51:08 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 02:47:59 pm »

Have a hard time understanding the point of his tweet.  

Was it that mass shootings are a relatively minor problem that isn’t worthy of the attention they were receiving?  

Or was it to encourage a greater focus in reducing medical errors or eradicating the flu, etc?

If the former, you are a fucking asshole.  If the later, I agree with your goals, but you picked a piss poor way to encourage people to get a flu shoot and I can guarantee your message won’t get thru.  
The point was that many more people die everyday of mundane things that no one gives a shit about. The only reason this gets so much attention is because of political posturing. Violent crime in the U.S. has fallen sharply over the past quarter century. As I have said many times before, people have been killing each other for thousands of years and it's never going to stop. So, asshole or not, facts are facts. Mass shootings ARE a relatively minor problem that aren't worthy of the attention they are receiving when many more people die or random things that don't get any attention? More hypocrisy...

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 02:52:36 pm »

Trump is blaming video games as one of the reasons for this sort of thing, and I have to say, that's fucking stupid.
I know people who have kids who play FPSs 16 hours a day when not in school, if not more. They don't leave their fucking room except to shit and eat. It's really fucked up to see people like that. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it causes some kind of mental issues. That's not to say that I don't like playing video games. But at the end of the day it's just a game for entertainment. Not something I want to do for more than a few hours a week maybe. It's partially a parenting problem.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 02:53:30 pm »

With two exceptions, everything on Neil's list are unintended tragedies.  The two exceptions are:

- homicide via handgun
- suicide (left unstated: how many of the suicides are by gun)

What an uncharacteristically dumb tweet, especially now.  Comparing accidents or diseases to intentional criminal acts of violence is inexplicably stupid.  I mean, drunk driving deaths aren't even intentional, yet no one makes these kind of clownish "but what about how many people die from cancer?" excuses when we suggest doing something about drunk driving.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2019, 02:56:17 pm »

I know people who have kids who play FPSs 16 hours a day when not in school, if not more. They don't leave their fucking room except to shit and eat. It's really fucked up to see people like that. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it causes some kind of mental issues. That's not to say that I don't like playing video games. But at the end of the day it's just a game for entertainment. Not something I want to do for more than a few hours a week maybe. It's partially a parenting problem.
Regarding obsessive video gamers, I don't really think it's a cause of some mental issues, I think it's that person's solution to their mental issues so they don't have to deal with reality.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 03:06:24 pm »

Comparing accidents or diseases to intentional criminal acts of violence is inexplicably stupid.
Intentional criminal acts? When you figure out how to stop those let us know, we'll wait.

Seems to me that a cure for cancer or autonomous cars are more realistic (eventually) than controlling human behavior and stopping intentional criminal acts. After all, they are intentional.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 03:07:35 pm »

Regarding obsessive video gamers, I don't really think it's a cause of some mental issues, I think it's that person's solution to their mental issues so they don't have to deal with reality.
I could see it going either way depending on the individual.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray