Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:44 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Kevin Mawae endorses Zach Thomas for HOF
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Kevin Mawae endorses Zach Thomas for HOF  (Read 2858 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: August 05, 2019, 11:26:57 am »

One of the few times I'll ever praise a Jet (even a beast like Mawae) but it was really cool of him to endorse Zach Thomas in his induction speech.

“Zach Thomas was my nemesis,” Mawae said about three-quarters into his 27-minute Hall of Fame speech. “My first year with the Jets before my first game we played against each other, (Coach) Bill Parcells told me in front of my entire team, ‘If you don’t block Thomas, we won’t win the game,’ and for the next 16 matchups I never forgot that.

“Zach was one of, if not the smartest player I ever faced. He loved the game, had fun when he played and brought the best out of me. When people ask me who’s not in the Hall of Fame and that I think should be here, it’s an easy one for me: number 54 from the Miami Dolphins.”

He even had Zach's picture posted on the screen as he spoke.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 11:31:36 am »

It's a shame Zach isn't in the HOF yet.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:38:55 am »

Appreciate that from Kevin Mawae. Hopefully Zach will make it soon. He absolutely deserves it.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 01:32:58 pm »

Zach not being in the Hall already is ridiculous...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 02:04:26 pm »

I think ZTs hurdle is he was the second best defensive lineman on a team whose DL didn’t scare anyone and didn’t accomplish anything.

While the HoF honors individual accomplishments not team accomplishments, leading your team to wins is part of being fame worthy. The teams Zach were apart of never made it to a championship and rarely won playoff games.

The Dolphins DL didn’t really scare anyone.  You didn’t hear commentators going on to great length about how great the Dolphins defense was and if they could just get similar production from the offense the team would be formidable.  Many years that was said of Jets or Baltimore.  But not the Fins.

And even among a team and unit that wasn’t impressive Zach wasn’t the best player.  JT was.  The key for every teams OL was accounting for JT, ZT was the second player discussed.

Also leadership is a factor.  ZT was never perceived as the leader on defense, once again JT. 

Only 5 players get in a year.  Hard to argue the ‘98-07 fins are underrepresented. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 02:15:38 pm »

I think ZTs hurdle is he was the second best defensive lineman on a team whose DL didn’t scare anyone and didn’t accomplish anything.

While the HoF honors individual accomplishments not team accomplishments, leading your team to wins is part of being fame worthy. The teams Zach were apart of never made it to a championship and rarely won playoff games.

The Dolphins DL didn’t really scare anyone.  You didn’t hear commentators going on to great length about how great the Dolphins defense was and if they could just get similar production from the offense the team would be formidable.  Many years that was said of Jets or Baltimore.  But not the Fins.

And even among a team and unit that wasn’t impressive Zach wasn’t the best player.  JT was.  The key for every teams OL was accounting for JT, ZT was the second player discussed.

Also leadership is a factor.  ZT was never perceived as the leader on defense, once again JT.  

Only 5 players get in a year.  Hard to argue the ‘98-07 fins are underrepresented.  
You sound ignorant, which is acceptable because you aren't a fan of this team.  Let's use this as a teachable moment Pat's fan....

--ZT was a linebacker, not a lineman.
--Miami's defense was one of the best defenses in the league during his tenure
--The Dolphins DL scared many, Taylor was always leading the league in sacks, whoever what oposite of him, (many rotation of players) got their fair share of sacks, DT's were run clogging beasts.
--Again, JT was a Defensive end.  Thomas was a Linebacker, a middle linebacker at that.  Would you compare Michael Strahan to say Ray Lewis?  No, they have a different set of skills.
--Zach Thomas was a giant locker room leader
--Zach Thomas's numbers compare to Brian Urlacher's, a first ballot hall of famer.  In some instances, they surpass Urlacher's stats.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 02:21:17 pm »

You sound ignorant, which is acceptable because you aren't a fan of this team.  Let's use this as a teachable moment Pat's fan....

--ZT was a linebacker, not a lineman.
--Miami's defense was one of the best defenses in the league during his tenure
--The Dolphins DL scared many, Taylor was always leading the league in sacks, whoever what oposite of him, (many rotation of players) got their fair share of sacks, DT's were run clogging beasts.
--Again, JT was a Defensive end.  Thomas was a Linebacker, a middle linebacker at that.  Would you compare Michael Strahan to say Ray Lewis?  No, they have a different set of skills.
--Zach Thomas was a giant locker room leader
--Zach Thomas's numbers compare to Brian Urlacher's, a first ballot hall of famer.  In some instances, they surpass Urlacher's stats.

this .. all of this .. especially the last point .. ZT's career stats compare very well against Urlachers
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 02:29:53 pm »

this .. all of this .. especially the last point .. ZT's career stats compare very well against Urlachers

Urlacher was the best player on a team that won the NFC championship on the strength of the defense.  ZT was the second best player on a team that never accomplished anything. 

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 02:40:21 pm »

Urlacher was the best player on a team that won the NFC championship on the strength of the defense.  ZT was the second best player on a team that never accomplished anything. 
You're just trolling at this point.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 04:10:38 pm »

the hall of fame isn't a team award .. it's an individual honor .. so i agree .. good trolling and that's all it is
Garrett

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 10:36:34 pm »

That defensive line didn't scare anyone??? Are you kidding me? That line also had Darrell Gardener and Trace Armstrong! Those boys were bad ass mo-fo's!!!
David Fulcher

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 02:01:40 am »

Okay, even though I hardly ever post here anymore nowadays (not because I don't lurk on here quite consistently still--because I most def. do that!  Pick it up more during foos'ball season, fa' sho', but on here quite a bit even during the *offseason* and when it's slow), I just had to post here, both about Zach and in regards to that D-line back in the day (late 90's/early 00's).

Zach most definitely belongs in the Hall.  As numerous others have alluded to already, Zach's statistics are very favorable if not even better than Urlacher's in some ways, and that's not a stretch, particularly in the first several years of Zach's career (dude started off his career like the damn fireplug cannonball he was!!   Grin ). He should be there.

And as far as our defensive "unit" not being impressive, Hoodie--look, I get it, it's pretty damn easy to have a revisionist historical stance when your team has won 6 SB's in the past 18 years, I do get it--I'm also a Spurs fan, so I can truly speak from a very similar perspective in that regard--but don't mistake that the 'Phins didn't have a borderline killer D back in the late 90's and I'd say in particular the early 2000's (Garrett--let's not forget our boy "T-Bow", Tim Bowens, either!!  Grin). 
At the end of the day, it is what it is, the team wasn't quite complete enough to really make noise come the playoffs, but it was multi-fold for why that was the case, some of foremost responsibilities lying with incompetent coaching/decisions (Wanny), as well as poor management decisions.  And as much as I still regard Fiedler for what he was at the time, and as gritty as he always was, he just didn't have it for what we needed in the big games either late in the season or the playoffs, to take the pressure off of the O-line and first Lamar Smith, and then later on Ricky (and let's not even go into the debacle that was the middle of the '02 season--still the best team I think I've seen Miami field since at least 2000--when Ray Freakin' Lucas had to play those 5 or so games in a row when Jay was injured).

*sigh* I digress--but regardless, Zach pretty much always was a beast, and Miami did have at their floor a top 6-8 defense and at their ceiling, upper-upper echelon D for a few year stretch there, and while JT did effectively take the mantle over later into Zach's career, I'll admit that, Zach was more than The Man before JT really took off.  That I can recall quite distinctly!!   Smiley

"I swear to Buddha--if someone challenges my Ping-Pong honor, their fortune cookie will see bad outcome!"

--guy from "My New Haircut", Asian edition
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 10:33:00 am »

I am not saying Zach was an average player or the Dolphins defense was merely average.   But you would be hard pressed to find too many Sunday morning pregame day analysis where the question was “which teams have a defense that makes QBs quiver?” And the response be “Dolphins “  Likewise you rarely heard much about Thomas.  JT was always the man.  I know when the patriots boards did threads on the topic, “what player on another team you wish was a Patriot?” JT was often mentioned, but not ZT. 

One gripe that Patriots fans have is the dearth of HOF players from the NE 2001-2005 3 sb in 4 year dynasty.  The Steelers got 9 players in from their run in the 70s.  So far NE has 1 (and one more is a lock but still playing) .  You can make a very solid argument that the Patriots era is underrepresented. Hard to say the Dolphins are underrepresented from the same era.  I haven’t looked but I bet there was more HOF from the Dolphins early 70s than the Pats.  And for good reason. 

With Urlacher people talked about the Bears defense and Urlacher as the reason for the Bears defense being good. 

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 05:57:42 pm »

or maybe just maybe the football hall of fame celebrates individual accomplishment and not team success .. so what if your team won 4 superbowls in 5 years .. if you had a bunch of middle of the road .. "next man up", "do your job" players in a good system with a HoF QB holding down the fort .. don't be surprised that you get 1 or 2 players from that era in the HoF where other teams with 3-4 great players and complete shit around them get more HoF representation
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 03:26:58 am »

If we are being honest, there are several very straightforward reasons why Urlacher is in the HOF and Zach isn't even close to getting in:

1) CHI had a more successful defense, making it to the SB even with a terrible offense.
In comparison, every year that Zach and JT were in the playoffs ended with the Dolphins getting blown out.  And this team-based metric is compounded by the next reason:

2) Urlacher was the best player on the Bears' defense.
You can get in to the HOF as the second-best player on a great defense (e.g. Ed Reed), but you can't as the second-best player on a defense that doesn't accomplish anything and repeatedly gets run off the field in the playoffs.  Which leads to reason #3:

3) Urlacher has a DPOY.
JT also has a DPOY, so he got in on the first ballot.  Without a DPOY, I think JT still would have gotten in, but it would have been a lot tougher.

So in summary, Zach has no DPOY and was the second-best player on a defense that never accomplished anything.  Even though he has good stats and lots of Pro Bowls/All-Pros, I think it's going to take a miracle for him to get in.  In hindsight, MIA's defensive collapse at the end of the 2002 season is probably the difference keeping Zach out of the HOF.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:32:26 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray