Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:22:38 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Movie Review: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Movie Review: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse  (Read 1098 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« on: August 12, 2019, 01:18:09 am »

Didn't see a review here for this movie.  So here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Hbz2jLxvQ

This movie was released in the theaters last December, and came out on disc a few months back.  Unlike the recent Spider-Man movies starring Tom Holland, this one is NOT set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (with Iron Man and the rest of the Avengers).  It's an animated movie, with a very unique visual style.  It won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film and a raft of awards from other organizations.

The plot follows Miles Morales, a middle-schooler from Brooklyn who gets bitten (...etc) and finds out that due to an experiment by Kingpin, people from alternate universes with the same powers are being drawn to his universe.  They work together to stop Kingpin and send everyone back home.

When I saw this movie in the theater, I didn't have very high expectations.  Much like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it BLEW past them.  I immediately knew this was one of the best Spider-Man movies I'd seen, but after having watched it at home several more times, I feel like enough time has passed for me to give my long-term evaluation:

This is the best stand-alone Marvel movie ever made, and arguably the best superhero movie of all time.

It's just that good.  The characters are well-developed and likeable.  Miles is much more compelling in this movie than he is in the Ultimate Spider-Man run.   The soundtrack is great.  And the visuals... man.  The movie just looks amazing.  The art direction is on another level, unlike anything else I've seen.  Parts of it look like a motion comic, while other parts of it have misaligned color like in old Sunday comics:

It's just an incredibly beautiful film.  Here's a couple of short clips (no spoilers) that show some of the fantastic visuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euUGPQZoHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP5BL7SrK8A

I just can't say enough good things about this movie, and the more I watch it, the more I like it.  If you haven't seen it, you should.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:43:46 am »

It was my favorite movie of last year.  I think it's an incredible leap in quality of animation.  It really uses the format to make a movie that couldn't exist in live-action.

Loved it.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:04:40 pm »

This is an interesting behind the scenes of how they make decisions about some of the visual effects. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-wUKu_V2Lk&feature=youtu.be&t=248

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 11:23:03 am »

This movie was so good.

I hope the sequel can keep up with the forward thinking/evolution of animation plus maintain a story/dialog etc.. worthy of a 2nd movie.

If this turns into a money grab, its really going to let me (and fans) down.

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 11:58:42 am »

^ I was thinking the same thing.  What makes it so good is that it's doing something truly different and the way that the story is told helps tell the story itself.

I don't know if they can capture that twice.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray