Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:45:21 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Rebuilding question/Climate Change
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Rebuilding question/Climate Change  (Read 6495 times)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2019, 04:10:04 pm »

I'm still waiting on the "new ice age" that the "scientists" assured us was coming in the 1970s.   Alarmists have been entertaining intelligent people with their comedy gold for centuries.  And they always will. Wherever there is easy money to be made, there will be statistics to support it.

This is a (very partial) list of popularly predicted dates for the apocalypse:

1st or 2nd century CE: Numerous passages in the Bible predict that the Second coming will occur within the lifetime of Jesus' disciples.
Jan. 1 1000: Coinciding with the early crusades, many Christians believed this would be the end of the world. This could have been far worse than the Y2K computer problems, if mass communication had existed and more people actually knew what day of the year it was.
1284: Pope Innocent III added 666 years to the date Islam was founded.
1794: Charles Wesley one of the founders of Methodism, used Revelations to predict the end times.
1806: The Prophet Hen of Leeds a hoax involving a chicken laying eggs that said "Christ is coming".
1832: Joseph Smith founder of the Mormons included a prediction in his writings.
1850: Ellen White founder of the Seven Day Adventists made several predictions about the end of times.
1936 or maybe 1998: Edgar Cayce, born in 1877 received message in a trance from the “Source”. His end time prophecies involved Atlantis reappearing, the West Coast of the United States falling away, Japan sinking and earthquakes in South America.
1947: Herbert W. Armstrong founded the Worldwide Church of God. He created the “Plain Truth” magazine extolling his personal version of Christianity. He never choose a specific date, but taught extensively of Armageddon and the coming of Jesus. A controversial figure, he died in 1986. The church he left behind is now considered mainstream.
Jim Bakker: began a television ministry, The Praise The Lord Club, claiming that it would broadcast twenty-four hour Christian television until the return of Jesus Christ. He set the mold for much of Christian TV to follow. In 1988 he was charged with fraud for illegal fund raising for a theme park called Heritage USA.
Sep. 13, 1988: In his book 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be in 1988, Edgar Whisenant predicted that the Rapture would occur between Sep. 11 and Sep. 13, 1988.
1994: Harold Camping
2006: Michael Drosnin has written software, available on the Internet, that draws words out of the Bible by selecting letters according to formulas. He claims to have found predictions for 9/11, Yitzhak Rabin’s assassination and the end of days.
2006: Shoko Asahara, an acupuncturist from 1980 mixed Eastern and Western traditions including Nostradamus and claimed he conversed with people from the future (for him then, that was 2006). They told him WW III was coming. His followers somehow figured it was best to bring these predictions into reality, so they released Sarin nerve gas into the Tokyou subway system on March 20, 1995.
May 21, 2011: Harold Camping
Oct. 21, 2011: Harold Camping
7 October, 2015: Chris McCann of the eBible fellowship

people have been getting suckered for centuries you're right.

The difference is that predictions for natural events like climate change are backed by facts, measurements and observation. out of which we try to predict future patterns. When scientists learn something new or have their predictions invalidated they build upon that information to further increase the accuracy of their next effort. That's the scientific method.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 05:17:26 pm »

The difference is that predictions for natural events like climate change are backed by facts, measurements and observation. out of which we try to predict future patterns. When scientists learn something new or have their predictions invalidated they build upon that information to further increase the accuracy of their next effort. That's the scientific method.
We'll see soon. The idiot savior of the Democratic party made a prediction. AOC predicts Miami won't exist 'in a few years'

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 05:34:31 pm »

We'll see soon. The idiot savior of the Democratic party made a prediction. AOC predicts Miami won't exist 'in a few years'

did she now .. where ? I saw what she said and she actually said:

... because what's not realistic is Miami not existing in a few years,
.. literally the exact opposite of what you said .. but fuck facts who cares about those things i guess
suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 07:52:13 pm »

In other words, no using flooding as an excuse to not have children.

D4L, he's lying, don't believe his nonsense! You absolutely should not procreate! Ever! No matter what!

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2019, 09:00:05 am »

You are right about people being suckered for centuries and I got a kick out of your list of doomsday predictions.  But the "new ice age" stuff that we were taught in the 1970's WAS from scientists using measurements, calculations, etc.  That is why everyone took it so seriously back then.  The new ice age stuff wasn't coming from religious zealots or crazy people.  It was coming from highly regarded scientists.  Highly regarded scientists who were either wrong, or in many cases, being handsomely paid to "cook the books" and manipulate statistics in order to support the "new ice age" hysteria.  Same thing today.  Global Warming (Climate Change, or whatever the word of the day for it is today) is being preached (pun intended) by legit scientists who are either coming to the wrong conclusions in their research or more commonly, they are being handsomely rewarded by those who benefit from it.  It is not unlike the old joke of the company CEO who asks the company accountant, "How much do the books say we made in profit this quarter" and the company accountant replies, "How much do you WANT the books to say we made in profit this quarter?"    Wherever there is money to be made, there will be "scientific research" to back it. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2019, 12:38:01 pm »

"How much do you WANT the books to say we made in profit this quarter?"    Wherever there is money to be made, there will be "scientific research" to back it.

Actually...the "money to be made" is being made by the folks who are destroying the environment...the ones trying to sell "there's no global warming" to whichever suckers will believe them.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 04:44:47 pm »

Actually...the "money to be made" is being made by the folks who are destroying the environment...the ones trying to sell "there's no global warming" to whichever suckers will believe them.

I don't disagree with your statement that the environment destroyers are making big money but there is huge money being made on both sides of this topic.  There are many "scholars" who are getting fat and happy off of government grants to "study" climate change and come up with statistics that support whatever the grant issuers want supported.  If someone gave me a $500K grant and 6 months to produce support of climate change, I'd be the biggest climate change alarmist the world has ever seen.  Capitalism trumps (no pun intended) responsible action every single time. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 05:07:48 pm »

See ... here is where I have to disagree without even looking at said evidence. I mean if the doomsday predictors of climate change really believed it they would be living accordingly but most are not. Definitely not the A listers and politicans who are preaching to me on tv The freaking Obamas preach about evil rich people and how climate change is going to flood us in 12 years but then buy a huge mansion on the coast amongst a bunch of rich white people? hahaha .  In fact the only "preppers" I know of are conservative and libertarians.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:01:59 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2019, 09:50:57 am »

I don't disagree with your statement that the environment destroyers are making big money but there is huge money being made on both sides of this topic.  There are many "scholars" who are getting fat and happy off of government grants to "study" climate change and come up with statistics that support whatever the grant issuers want supported.  If someone gave me a $500K grant and 6 months to produce support of climate change, I'd be the biggest climate change alarmist the world has ever seen.  Capitalism trumps (no pun intended) responsible action every single time. 

That's not how science works. For anyone in a given field, it's pretty easy to look at the research and reach a conclusion. The only way to do what you suggest would be to falsify data and even that is usually discovered pretty darn quickly.

Your scenario also doesn't match up with the conclusions reached by scientists in the rest of the world, including many in countries where funding is WAY less political and fickle.

There will always be people who will believe whatever they want to, regardless of the evidence. Some countries seem to have a greater concentration of those than others and it certainly appears that this is more prevalent when the subject matter becomes politicized.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2019, 09:25:32 pm »

D4L, he's lying, don't believe his nonsense! You absolutely should not procreate! Ever! No matter what!

You sound like my parents, who keep pushing me to have a vasectomy

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2019, 03:20:43 pm »

I mean if the doomsday predictors of climate change really believed it they would be living accordingly but most are not.
In some ways, this is akin to saying, "If Christians really believed the Bible is true they would be living accordingly but most are not."  You can "discredit" nearly any political position by pointing out the contradictions in practice... for example, why do pro-gun Republican politicians, who tell us that having more guns increases safety,  also insist that guns not be allowed in courtrooms or capitol buildings?  Why do social conservatives who believe homosexuals are destroying the sanctity of marriage then go out and get divorces themselves?

But more to the point: the impact of which car I choose to drive or whether I choose to use disposable or cloth diapers for my infant has FAR less climate impact than regulations on industrial pollution or car emission limitations.  The problem is one that requires group action.

It's much like the old canard of "if you think taxes should be raised, why don't you write a check to the government?"  Raising a few thousand voluntary dollars from me will not pay for Medicare For All, but raising several hundred million dollars from increased taxes (that are not voluntary) will.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2019, 08:03:12 am »

You sound like my parents, who keep pushing me to have a vasectomy

I doubt that your parents are the only ones. 
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2019, 08:13:22 am »

In some ways, this is akin to saying, "If Christians really believed the Bible is true they would be living accordingly but most are not."  You can "discredit" nearly any political position by pointing out the contradictions in practice... for example, why do pro-gun Republican politicians, who tell us that having more guns increases safety,  also insist that guns not be allowed in courtrooms or capitol buildings?  Why do social conservatives who believe homosexuals are destroying the sanctity of marriage then go out and get divorces themselves?

Yes.  Hypocrisy and actions not matching up with words is rampant.  Regardless of whatever religion, political party, or any subset of society that exists.  I disagree with you and many of the other guys in here on a regular basis, but I respect that most of you seem pretty consistent in what you say and even though I don't know any of you personally to know if your lives match your words.   To your point, I just read an article about how the Pope came out this week blasting wealth as the "devil's dung" and now nobody should separate themselves from others with physical walls.   He said this while holding a $250,000 gold stick from behind the world's most secured gated community, the vatican.  I'm an atheist, but I almost wish there was a god just so he could look down at this world and go, "Are you f'ing kidding me?"   LOL      And yes, even as a "climate denier" as the alarmists like to call people like me, I fully understand that it is very easy to discredit anything, just like it is very easy to fake proof that supports anything.  Kind of like the old saying of, "There is his side of the story and her side of the story and the truth usually lies somewhere in between."
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2019, 07:22:52 pm »

I have a proposal.

Why don't we set up a program to collect and desalinate seawater from the rising sea levels and give it to areas affected by the summer droughts?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:15 pm »

I have a proposal.

Why don't we set up a program to collect and desalinate seawater from the rising sea levels and give it to areas affected by the summer droughts?

Do you have any concept of how much energy is required to desalinate seawater?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray