Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:46:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Composting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Composting  (Read 1229 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: September 09, 2019, 10:25:16 am »

For the last few months, I've been composting at home.

I bought this big barrel that spins.  We put in mostly food garbage, but you can basically put in anything that used to be a plant.  Everything from paper, to linens, to food scraps, etc...almost anything except meat/dairy and synthetics.

You have to have a general mix of "browns" (long dead stuff, like paper, coffee grounds, etc) and "greens" (recently live stuff like banana peels, apple cores).  Then, keep in a little moist and add oxygen by spinning the barrel every few days.  Keep it in the sun.  It creates this environment where microbes live and feed other microbes, which feed other microbes, which break it all down into this brown dirt stuff.  It's great fertilizer and prevents it from going in a land-fill.

Fun project, easy to do -- creates less stinky garbage out by the curb.

Anyone done this before or have any questions?

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 09:02:52 am »

Some communities don't allow this due to smells. So where do you store this 'barrel'? does it stink? I've thought about it.

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:44:31 am »

No, it doesn't smell, for the most part.  This is especially true if your mixture ratios are correct and it's composting effectively.

It's comparable to a garbage can, I guess -- for the first couple of days of adding a lot of waste to it.  But what stinks about garbage is curdled dairy or putrid meat.  You aren't putting these things in there.  A decaying apple core doesn't really stink.  Or moldly bread, or coffee grounds, or whatever else.

I keep mine about 10 feet from my house, near my backyard fence.

Once you have compost in there, when you add new things, you rotate the barrel and it mixes the rotten food into the compost.  So, the garbage is essentially buried in dirt.  And if you have good conditions, it breaks down really, really fast, so it's gone before it would traditionally rot.  You should have no smell at all.

The compost itself has an Earthy smell, like a forest floor.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:16:51 pm by Dave Gray » Logged

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:55:57 am »

They have this at the farmer's market that I go to and I always have something to give. When I move to a better place that isn't actually the largest landfill on the planet (Staten Island), I will do things like this in my own backyard.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:47:06 pm »

No, it doesn't smell, for the most part.  This is especially true if your mixture ratios are correct and it's composting effectively.

It's comparable to a garbage can, I guess -- for the first couple of days of adding a lot of waste to it.  But what stinks about garbage is curdled dairy or putrid meat.  You aren't putting these things in there.  A decaying apple core doesn't really stink.  Or moldly break, or coffee grounds, or whatever else.

I keep mine about 10 feet from my house, near my backyard fence.

Once you have compost in there, when you add new things, you rotate the barrel and it mixes the rotten food into the compost.  So, the garbage is essentially buried in dirt.  And if you have good conditions, it breaks down really, really fast, so it's gone before it would traditionally rot.  You should have no smell at all.

The compost itself has an Earthy smell, like a forest floor.

Hell, I probably have the cleanest garbage in the southeast. Before I put shit in my kitchen garbage can, I usually rinse out any empty containers like cans, bottles, or trays. And anything that the garbage disposal will eat goes down the drain. There's not a lot of remnants of left over food in my garbage. I can't stand a stinking ass garbage can in the house.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 02:30:45 pm »

I've heard earthworms get attracted to compost piles.   Then you grab them and sell them to bait shops or directly to freshwater fishermen

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray