Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:00:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  What does Flores get out of this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What does Flores get out of this?  (Read 4793 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: September 09, 2019, 03:29:38 pm »

I don't know what kind of control he gets, but it's pretty clear that we're not trying to win.  We're dumping players, we re-signed basically nobody.  We're getting picks in the future.

But we're going to be BAAAAAAAD.  And that will continue for years, even if things go well.  Even if these picks are good, they won't be good in year 1.

So, why is he doing this?  There seems to be no way that he survives this.  Heads will have to roll when you have single digit wins over a multiple year span.  He will likely be one of the scapegoats.  How can he possibly put this product on the field while the front office gives away all his players and be cool with it?

I drink your milkshake!
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 03:36:25 pm »

It's easy Dave. He's a double agent put in place by Belichick and Kraft to dismantle the Dolphins from the inside. It's genius.
But the way that I see it is that Flores is trying to be Belichick, and do things "the patriot way" in Miami by acquiring as many drafts pick as possible in order to build through the draft.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:39:52 pm by stinkfish » Logged

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 04:13:41 pm »

That's not how the Patriots built their team.  That's how the Browns and Bengals have built their teams.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:54:21 pm »

Flores is trying to win games with the players he has.

You guys are blame Flores for decisions made by Ross and Grier.

Flores doesn’t have the power in Miami that Belichick has in NE.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 05:26:19 pm »

I agree. He is part of the decision making but ultimately it falls on Grier. Considering Ross's explanation of his firing of Gase and his 5 year deal with Flores I think he's well aware that Flores will be playing a long distance game.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 06:33:05 pm »

Then I guess Flores can go join Cam Cameron in the "coaches who were unfairly blamed for years of bad front office decisions" support group.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:35:57 am »

cam was expected to win .. he was hot shit coordinator coming in to a team with "talent" .. Flores came in .. got told he was gonna suck for a few years and to stick it out and that's why they gave him a 5 year contract .. if he can't win by year 4 then they'll get rid of him .. if he can then he'll get extended  .. that's where we're at.

this year means nothing .. i don't get where people think he's getting fired .. he could go 0-32 and be secure in his job
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 10:13:11 am »

Flores is trying to win games with the players he has.

You guys are blame Flores for decisions made by Ross and Grier.

Flores doesn’t have the power in Miami that Belichick has in NE.
To be clear however Flores KNEW when he was hired this was the plan and was on board with the plan. He KNEW the risk going in and was ok with it. So while I don't blame Flores, all his rhetoric about we are trying to win games is utter BS. They ALL know they are not trying to win games THIS year, including Flores. He's not a baffoon. So if it doesn't work out and he gets axed in 2 years he deserves exactly what he gets.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 10:44:59 am »

Flores very likely received guarantees from ownership that even if they go 0-16 this year and 3-13 the next, he will be around for all of Year 3 as long as things are going in the right direction.

You don't hire a new coach, gut the roster like never before and then expect him to win. For once, ownership and management and coaching seems to be on the same page. Suck hard now for a better future.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 12:27:34 pm »

The 3-4 year plan makes sense in a lot of situations.  But here, we've got no chance of being good in 3 years.  They've stripped it all too bare.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 01:19:24 pm »

The 3-4 year plan makes sense in a lot of situations.  But here, we've got no chance of being good in 3 years.  They've stripped it all too bare.
I disagree. We have 6 picks in the first three rounds next year and 130 million in cap space. We could fill half the team in one off-season.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 02:50:37 pm »

To be clear however Flores KNEW when he was hired this was the plan and was on board with the plan. He KNEW the risk going in and was ok with it. So while I don't blame Flores, all his rhetoric about we are trying to win games is utter BS. They ALL know they are not trying to win games THIS year, including Flores. He's not a baffoon. So if it doesn't work out and he gets axed in 2 years he deserves exactly what he gets.

Yes, he knew the plan.

But I think two separate roles and goals get merged.

If I was Ross these would be my instructions:

Grier - Your job is improve to the roster for the long term, if a player is not part of our long term plans, trade him to free up cap space and get picks.

Flores - Your job is to win games with the roster you have.  Trading away good players for future picks makes your job more difficult, but doesn’t change your job.  Your goal is not to have the first pick overall, but to move us down the draft order.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 06:00:59 pm »

Flores very likely received guarantees from ownership that even if they go 0-16 this year and 3-13 the next, he will be around for all of Year 3 as long as things are going in the right direction.
Guarantees from ownership are not worth a whole lot. 3-29 might be good enough to keep him around for year 3 and it might not. A lot depends on if that 3-13 is a lot of blowouts and a couple wins or a lot of close games and only a couple wins.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 07:16:11 pm »

Guarantees from ownership are not worth a whole lot. 3-29 might be good enough to keep him around for year 3 and it might not. A lot depends on if that 3-13 is a lot of blowouts and a couple wins or a lot of close games and only a couple wins.

Guaranteed contracts are worth cash.  They can fire him tomorrow, but they have to pay him for 5 years.  You don’t give someone a 5 year contract if you plan on having a short window to prove himself.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 10:54:00 am »

Guaranteed contracts are worth cash.  They can fire him tomorrow, but they have to pay him for 5 years.  You don’t give someone a 5 year contract if you plan on having a short window to prove himself.

Exactly. Handshakes in sports don't mean much, but cash does. Everyone is on the same page for once with this organization, Flores has a minimum of 3 years as long as the team gets better in 2020 and 2021 with the talent acquired. This year is 0-16 and no heads will roll because of it. They traded his best O-Lineman and WR days before Week 1, they all know the score.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray