Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:05:21 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Tom Brady's popularity tied to rise in 'white rage and white supremacy,' profess
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tom Brady's popularity tied to rise in 'white rage and white supremacy,' profess  (Read 2064 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: September 27, 2019, 01:05:04 pm »

I swear this world is getting crazier by the day

Tom Brady's popularity tied to rise in 'white rage and white supremacy,' professor says

Kyle Kusz, a kinesiology professor at the University of Rhode Island, published a book this month titled “Making American White Men Great Again: Tom Brady, Donald Trump, and the Allure of White Male Omnipotence in Post-Obama America." He theorized that Brady became popular due to the rise of “white rage and white supremacy,” according to Campus Reform.

For the full article ... https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tom-brady-popularity-tied-white-supremacy

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 07:36:06 pm »

The lamestream liberal media is falsely smearing Tom Brady by associating him with Donald Trump, when there is absolutely no valid reason to be doing such a thi...

Oops, sent the wrong talking points.  Let me hit "recall" on that one and try again:

The free-speech-opposing vile left-wing media is invading the privacy of patriotic citizens, by unfairly publishing the candidates they are supporting and/or donating to.  The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that political donations cannot be limited because money is speech, and as we all know, one of the hallmarks of free speech is that it must be kept completely secret and cannot be divulged to the public.  It is an absolute outrage that this free and open, unlimited political speech is being revealed by the media.

...I think that's it?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 07:52:55 pm »

Lest anyone misinterpret my previous post:

Brady was already popular prior to jumping on the Trump Train in 2015.
Donald Trump was already popular prior to being the nation's #1 birther.
White supremacists made both of them more popular.

As liberal Hollywood fixture The Simpsons pointed out years ago:

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 12:52:02 pm »

Tom Brady is the third most winning QB at Buffalo stadium.  Only Kelly and Furgason have more wins than Tom Brady in Buffalo.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 10:06:02 am »

Lest anyone misinterpret my previous post:

Brady was already popular prior to jumping on the Trump Train in 2015.
Donald Trump was already popular prior to being the nation's #1 birther.
White supremacists made both of them more popular.

As liberal Hollywood fixture The Simpsons pointed out years ago:

The same can be said for the lib stations. Most racist minorities follow those stations. That, in and of itself, does not make the coverage racist.

Most people I know are not Tom Brady fans but any football fan with half a brain has to respect his historical run. God forbid people like a white Republican I guess. hahahaha Again ... just another reason why those labels mean absolutely nothing any longer.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 07:25:12 pm »

The lamestream liberal media is falsely smearing Tom Brady by associating him with Donald Trump, when there is absolutely no valid reason to be doing such a thi...

Oops, sent the wrong talking points.  Let me hit "recall" on that one and try again:

The free-speech-opposing vile left-wing media is invading the privacy of patriotic citizens, by unfairly publishing the candidates they are supporting and/or donating to.  The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that political donations cannot be limited because money is speech, and as we all know, one of the hallmarks of free speech is that it must be kept completely secret and cannot be divulged to the public.  It is an absolute outrage that this free and open, unlimited political speech is being revealed by the media.

...I think that's it?

It's actually a known fact that him and Donald Trump were friends before Trump decided to run for president

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:20:39 pm »

The same can be said for the lib stations. Most racist minorities follow those stations. That, in and of itself, does not make the coverage racist.
Ah yes, the vast cohort of racist minorities in America who watch MSNBC.  I remember when, shortly after Obama won the election, majority-white high school teams would go to the arenas of majority-minority schools, where the fans there would wave Obama campaign banners and shout "OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA" at them.  Anti-white racism is, indeed, the primary kind of racism that remains in America.

Again ... just another reason why those labels mean absolutely nothing any longer.
For conservatives, the label "racist" has never had any meaning.  In the conservative telling, America went directly from insisting that non-white races are inferior to declaring the aforementioned period a long-expired relic of ancient history.

I mean, the centrist rhetoric is that racism in America ended the day Obama was elected, but the conservative rhetoric is basically that racism in America ended the day the Civil Rights Act was passed.  You guys have been saying that calling us "racist" is a vile smear since the moment racism became frowned upon in American society.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 01:09:51 pm »

Talk about lazy reporting.  Professor writes a book.  A rightwing hate group criticizes said book.  Without reading the book Fox reports on the criticism without any fact checking, reading the book, or interviewing the author.

Says more about Fox than anything else.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 01:20:10 pm »

Then people like CF share this because fox news said it so it must be news that really the left wing fake news media has been hiding from real true Americans.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 01:37:27 pm »

Ah yes, the vast cohort of racist minorities in America who watch MSNBC.  I remember when, shortly after Obama won the election, majority-white high school teams would go to the arenas of majority-minority schools, where the fans there would wave Obama campaign banners and shout "OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA" at them.  Anti-white racism is, indeed, the primary kind of racism that remains in America.
For conservatives, the label "racist" has never had any meaning.  In the conservative telling, America went directly from insisting that non-white races are inferior to declaring the aforementioned period a long-expired relic of ancient history.

I mean, the centrist rhetoric is that racism in America ended the day Obama was elected, but the conservative rhetoric is basically that racism in America ended the day the Civil Rights Act was passed.  You guys have been saying that calling us "racist" is a vile smear since the moment racism became frowned upon in American society.
Dude ... I don't know what kind of drugs you used to get this ridiculous but if they were legal you definitely have a serious lawsuit on your hands.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 01:48:09 pm »

Talk about lazy reporting.  Professor writes a book.  A rightwing hate group criticizes said book.  Without reading the book Fox reports on the criticism without any fact checking, reading the book, or interviewing the author.

Says more about Fox than anything else.
So you're saying he wasn't tying Brady to white racism? He even said the Kentucky Derby “tells a more particular story about the racial company he chooses to keep... because most of the Derby’s attendees include elite white people."  LMAO. You can go to Black College Reunion or be a part of any organization that excludes all other races and be a good citizen but God forbid you watch a sport that appeals to rich white people.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 02:25:07 pm »

So you're saying he wasn't tying Brady to white racism? He even said the Kentucky Derby “tells a more particular story about the racial company he chooses to keep... because most of the Derby’s attendees include elite white people."  LMAO. You can go to Black College Reunion or be a part of any organization that excludes all other races and be a good citizen but God forbid you watch a sport that appeals to rich white people.

I am not going to comment on what at this point is at least quadruple hearsay.  I haven’t read the book, you haven’t read the book, but more importantly the Fox News author didn’t even read the book or interview the author, just repeated the talking points of a very biased political group.   

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 10:33:21 pm »

Here is the response from the original author:

https://www.providencejournal.com/opinion/20191004/my-turn-kyle-kusz-exploring-our-cultures-use-of-tom-brady

An excerpt:

Finally, let me clarify a few of the common misunderstandings of my research. In no way do I believe that Tom Brady is a white supremacist or that his popularity is due simply to white supremacy.

Such arguments aren’t mine. They are Campus Reform’s, and intended to serve as fodder for today’s culture war and click-driven media landscape.

My research examines sport celebrities as complex cultural symbols that reflect the ideas about race, gender, age, class and nationalism that circulate at particular moments in history. My interpretations are carefully drawn and built off other academic research that has undergone peer review.

My interest in Tom Brady has always been aimed at trying to make sense of the ideas that inform, and the meanings that result, from cultural representations of him. Part of this work involves investigating how President Trump and the alt-right have used Brady’s sporting prowess and off-the-field image as an idealized, powerful American man as an ideological vehicle to spread their political ideas.

But, don’t take my word for that. Search the internet for Richard Spencer’s tweets after the Patriots historic comeback over the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI and you’ll see how he tried to tie his white nationalist ideas to Brady and the Patriots’ historic comeback victory. This is just one example of how the alt-right has used Brady to try to spread their ideas to average Americans.

Mr. Brady, of course, is not responsible for how others take up his image. But to study how and why the images of a sports star like Brady are being used symbolically and politically is a legitimate and important subject today, and that’s what I do in my work.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray