Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  The NBA and Hong Kong/China.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The NBA and Hong Kong/China.  (Read 4805 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 08, 2019, 12:14:29 pm »

The NBA and especially the Houston Rockets have a big foothold in China. 

With Hong Kong fighting social injustice against mainland China, it's put the NBA in a pickle.  The Houston Rockets GM spoke out against the injustice of communism and mainland China and now there's huge fallout.

Basically, Adam Silver is walking a tightrope of appealing to China's shitty censorship and government control of all media, while not losing that foothold -- China will turn off the NBA and that'll be it.

Tough situation.

I know it's not financially viable, probably, but I'd like to see the NBA say fuck China.  And even if they bow to them, I bet the players will speak out.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:22:21 pm »

I think the middle ground is the NBA/Silver continue to court their marketing.

Let players and GMs do the speaking out.

Not unlike my opinion on the NFL.  I am not looking for Goodel to join arms with Kaepernick and Reid, but the players should be free to express themselves without repercussions.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 02:05:00 pm »

I've already seen organized efforts among NBA fan bases to dress up in pro-HK anti-china outfits when attending games just to put the game in a position to have to be censored in china.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 03:04:39 pm »

I think the middle ground is the NBA/Silver continue to court their marketing.

Let players and GMs do the speaking out.

Not unlike my opinion on the NFL.  I am not looking for Goodel to join arms with Kaepernick and Reid, but the players should be free to express themselves without repercussions.   

I'd hate to tell you this but when you cross another country's borders, the rules change.  We can't make China do anything and if we somehow can get what we want from them, we have to give them something in return.   I'm sure President Trump had to give China something to convince them to let Lonzo Ball's little brother out of jail.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 03:11:55 pm »

I'd hate to tell you this but when you cross another country's borders, the rules change.  We can't make China do anything...

Conversely, China knows enough to understand that a sports league in the USA is NOT going to censor its players' or owners' speech.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 04:54:03 pm »

Conversely, China knows enough to understand that a sports league in the USA is NOT going to censor its players' or owners' speech.

True, but China can and will censor anything broadcast to their citizens and they also will not hesitate to expel Americans from their country who try to go against their government policies

suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 07:05:15 am »

Pussies.

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 02:48:41 pm »

Is this really that big of a deal?The NBA will be fine with or without China. I feel we must be in a slow news cycle or something
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 03:16:35 pm »

Is this really that big of a deal?The NBA will be fine with or without China. I feel we must be in a slow news cycle or something

they estimate chinese nba revenue could reach 4 Billion dollars .. that's about 133 million in extra cap space per team .. that's what the bru-ha-ha is about
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 03:32:51 pm »

NBA television ratings are higher in China than they are in the US.  China is very important to the NBA.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 03:54:27 pm »

Yes, it's an enormous deal.  China may be more important to the NBA that the US is.  They are a HUGE population and a huge economy.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 10:05:24 am »

Not to be outdone, Activision/Blizzard trying to get in on the the fun.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2019/10/08/blizzard-facing-backlash-after-suspending-hearthstone-player-for-hong-kong-comments/#3505988d1eff

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 12:43:33 pm »

Or so we thought. They're all towing the line now. Even Charles Barkley is calling critics of the NBA idiots for thinking they should speak out.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 02:26:01 pm »

These do seem big but there also is some exaggeration. Each NBA team gets $133M in revenue,  not cap space.  Big difference in an overall scheme because. Also China is nowhere close to even touching the U.S. in terms of importance. Forbes says 90% of NBA revenue comes from North America. If we gave China the total 10% which isn't true and divided North America evenly amongst the three countries, which also isn't true, they still aren't close. 

I do get the loss of billions of dollars is a  major impact but I just don't expect much out of this. Both sides will kiss and make up.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 11:56:57 am »

Both sides will kiss and make up.

What do you mean?  Who are the two sides in this story?

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray