Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:29:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Have you ever rooted against the Dolphins?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Have you ever rooted against the Dolphins?  (Read 4385 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: November 05, 2019, 11:20:50 pm »

The only time I can remember when I rooted for the Dolphins to lose was New Years' Eve, 2006.  The 6-9 Dolphins were playing the 11-4 Colts.  The Chargers and Ravens had locked up the one and two seeds, and the Patriots and Colts were vying for 3 and 4.  If the Colts won the game, they would match the Patriots 12-4 record and take the number three seed.  This is exactly what happened.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:01:06 am »

Yes.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 08:43:32 am »

Even worse...I've cheered against the Dolphins in a Super Bowl.

Kiss

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:29:07 am »

Yeah, dozens of times. This entire season. I have always said that if winning your final 2 games to take you to 8-8 instead of 6-10 drops you 6 draft spots, what's the point? Same for this season although it's a bit different because I just want us to get the #1 pick, I didn't think winning 3 games would knock us out of the Top 5. I didn't want them to go 0-16 or 1-15 but I was prepared for that if that is what is necessary.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 11:16:32 am »

I have NEVER rooted for the Dolphins to lose, not once.  There have been times when I'm not upset that they lost, but I have NEVER rooted for them to lose.  Once that day comes I might as well change favorite teams.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 03:26:10 pm »

I'm old as dirt.  Outside a few of you, maybe, one of the older ones on the board.  The team hasn't sniffed the SB since I was in HS.  There has been a lot of losing for "my team" and a lot of missed opportunity. 

This whole "you're not a real fan if you want them to lose" crap is exactly that. Crap.  They've been losing.  They haven't lost enough to make a difference. 

I could give a rat's ass about the 2019 Miami Dolphins.  There are a handful of players on the roster who are going to make it to 2020, most won't.  It's ghastly they pulled off a win against the Jets and, unlike some of the cheer leading media in South Florida, I'm not buying this "it's a good thing to get a win."  Tell me that when they can't draft the play maker the franchise needs to move forward.

I care about the franchise and the future of it.  Once, before I croak, I'd love to feel like this franchise has a chance to compete.  I have no issues sacrificing a season to do it. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 04:21:07 pm »

I'm with Maine on pretty much everything. I was in High School when Dan Marino and the Dolphins lost to San Francisco in the 85 Super Bowl. There's been a whole lot of nothing since then so anything that helps us get back to there is worth it IMO. I was hoping we'd lose every single game but was not upset we beat the Jets. I just hope we don't do it again and we lose out.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 04:28:47 pm »

I'm old as dirt.  Outside a few of you, maybe, one of the older ones on the board.  The team hasn't sniffed the SB since I was in HS.  There has been a lot of losing for "my team" and a lot of missed opportunity. 

This whole "you're not a real fan if you want them to lose" crap is exactly that. Crap.  They've been losing.  They haven't lost enough to make a difference. 

I could give a rat's ass about the 2019 Miami Dolphins.  There are a handful of players on the roster who are going to make it to 2020, most won't.  It's ghastly they pulled off a win against the Jets and, unlike some of the cheer leading media in South Florida, I'm not buying this "it's a good thing to get a win."  Tell me that when they can't draft the play maker the franchise needs to move forward.

I care about the franchise and the future of it.  Once, before I croak, I'd love to feel like this franchise has a chance to compete.  I have no issues sacrificing a season to do it. 

1000% behind this. We're not knocking down a perennial Wild Card contender to try to go for broke. This has been a bad team for a long time now who rattles off 10 win seasons once a decade. Tear it down, be the joke of the league and then come back strong. To cheer for this team to win games with a 37 year old QB after starting 0-7 is so incredibly dumb I don't know what these people are thinking.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 12:35:07 am »

There is virtually nothing worth the stench of 0-16.

Not a championship.
Not three championships.
Not five championships.

And it's not like the Dolphins have never won!  They have two Lombardi Trophies now.  In fact, the only thing this franchise has that distinguishes it from every other NFL team is - that's right - the Perfect Season.  And 0-16 diminishes that season in ways I can't even describe.

So now that the Dolphins have won a game, I'm perfectly fine with them losing the rest.  But under no circumstances will I ever root for the team to go 0-16.  Even if I knew the future, I wouldn't root for the team to go 0-16 in 1999 if it meant Marino's successor would be Brady.  I wouldn't root for them to go 0-16 in 1988 if it meant they would draft Barry Sanders.

Winning the Super Bowl is not that big of a deal.  By rule, a team wins the championship every year...  and some of them aren't particularly great teams!  But 0-16 is franchise-altering infamy.  So if you're asking me if going 0-16 is worth taking your place in the history books next to the the 2011 Giants, the 2013 Ravens, or the 2017 Eagles, I'm going to pass.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:38:42 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 07:43:27 am »

I've struggled with this question all season.  Obviously my rooting has no impact on the outcome, but I've struggled a lot internally about whether I "want" them to lose or not.  Spider's comments above made a lot of sense and convinced me that I'm glad they are not going to go 0 - 16.   So, I'm not going to root against the Dolphins, but yeah, I wouldn't shed any tears if they went 1 - 15.   Grin
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 08:32:20 am »

There is virtually nothing worth the stench of 0-16.

With the exception of a blow hard like Jim Rome, I can't remember the last time I heard anyone talk about the Lions 0-16 season.  And, no.  I'm not calling you a blow hard by proxy.  I'm saying I don't think anyone cares.

I hear A LOT about the Ravens Super Bowl win.  To this day.  I can't even remember what year it was, but it's still talked about.  I hear a lot about the Steelers and their *recent* wins.  The Eagles, with their win over the Pats.  The Seahawks.  

Not to mention how it must feel - sitting in front of the TV - when YOUR team actually does that.  

I know how it feels as a Sox fan, a Bruins fan, even a Celtics fan.  As a kid growing up in the Bay area in Cali I got to watch two massively successful teams win it, over and over...while my team sputtered.  I watched the 49ers drag themselves from an "also ran" franchise to a powerhouse.  

Ever hear of the San Fran teams who went 2-14 and 2-14, back to back years?  It's true, they did.  I was nine years old and watching from 13 miles away.  NO ONE EVER, in the history of *ever* talks about those seasons.  But you hear about the 13-3 season, 1981, capped off with the historic SB win.

Al Davis had one thing right.  Just win, baby.  Nothing else will matter.

In two, three years Miami turns this around and it's a success story.  That is all it is.  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:34:46 am by MaineDolFan » Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 08:57:35 am »

I don't know how anyone can think Superbowl wins aren't worth an 0-16 season when we haven't won a Superbowl since the early 70's. Why would 0-16 be so shameful but not winning a playoff game in almost 20 years is full of dignity?

No one even remembers when the Lions went 0-16 and no one cares. There is no pride or dignity or even common sense in wanting this team to go 4-12 and ruin the chance at drafting a franchise QB just because "I won't root for them to lose".
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 09:01:02 am »

Ever hear of the San Fran teams who went 2-14 and 2-14, back to back years?  It's true, they did.

Yessir, I remember those seasons while I was in middle school.  I started following them back when the NFL had a 14 game schedule. My first season as a fan saw them go 4-8-2. Yep...two ties that season.

I've celebrated all five of the 49ers championships, and am still waiting for my beloved Padres and Suns to dish up a title for my enjoyment . Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 09:24:21 am »

Yessir, I remember those seasons while I was in middle school.  I started following them back when the NFL had a 14 game schedule. My first season as a fan saw them go 4-8-2. Yep...two ties that season.

I've celebrated all five of the 49ers championships, and am still waiting for my beloved Padres and Suns to dish up a title for my enjoyment . Wink

Would you be okay with the Padres going 30-132 in 2020 if it meant a World Series win in 2022?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 09:48:44 am »

Would you be okay with the Padres going 30-132 in 2020 if it meant a World Series win in 2022?

They could go 30-132 for two years in a row, have our owner indicted for kicking nuns and puppies...and if they win a World Series, all is forgiven.

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray