Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:26:24 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Have you ever rooted against the Dolphins?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Have you ever rooted against the Dolphins?  (Read 4216 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 09:53:55 am »

No, not really.

I've been OK when they've lost.  And at times even been relieved about it.  But I don't watch the games and cheer against them.  That would feel weird.

I think that a lot of this draft stock talk is over-rated.  The difference between the 1 and 2 pick isn't gigantic.  And I think it can be damaging to the team culture if you're thought of as not caring and trying to win.  That can affect free agency and players willing to take less money, etc.

I drink your milkshake!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 11:03:02 am »

^I think this is important.

I'm not actively going into a Sunday and cheering against the Dolphins.  I am rooting actively against their overall success this season because it will help the on-going franchise.  I'm also not jumping up and down out of my chair when they pull off a win against the Jets.

2019 is a lost year, I've accepted that.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 11:06:51 am »

I have never rooted for the Dolphins to lose.  Well the Marlins *cough*  pisses me off and at time I do root for the fish to lose.  I grew up a Mets fan before the marlins arrived in 93. So I naturally went with the home team.  I still root for the Mets sometimes as well.  Both my Marlins and Mets are shit so eh.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 11:06:59 am »

Also, I think that I have so much deep-rooted "Fuck the Jets" mentality, that I am willing to cut off my nose to spite my face.

I just don't want to think about being happy about losing the Jets, only to draft some bum who isn't on the team in a few years, and having rooted for it. 

I drink your milkshake!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 11:10:18 am »

Would you be okay with the Padres going 30-132 in 2020 if it meant a World Series win in 2022?

Any baseball fan who hasn't seen their team win the last game of the season is willing to go through pain, without measure, if it meant the ultimate glory.  I can't even tell you how much my heart was shattered in 2003 when Boone took Wakefield deep, I didn't think anything could top 1986.  I would re-live that moment five years in a row if I had known how that moment was going to make the Sox do what they did for '04.

I'm praying somewhere in the 'Phins brass is someone making those moves.  

Again, before I go I would love to ACTUALLY SEE the team win.  1973 and 1974 is great...I was three and four years old.  Wasn't exactly party time in my home in 1974 when they beat the Vikings.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 11:22:52 am »

Also, I think that I have so much deep-rooted "Fuck the Jets" mentality, that I am willing to cut off my nose to spite my face.

I just don't want to think about being happy about losing the Jets, only to draft some bum who isn't on the team in a few years, and having rooted for it. 

I hear you on the Jets.  Except for once I have always rooted against them.  Dolphins and Bils I don't hate. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 01:11:13 pm »

A lot of you guys are putting an incredible amount of faith in the positive consequences of an 0-16 season.  Let's keep in mind that the Lions' 0-16 season earned them the same number of playoff wins as MIA has in the same timeframe.  And it also seems that the people who were spending last offseason shouting loud hosannahs at the 0-16 Browns for Trusting The Process have fallen silent.

0-16 doesn't guarantee success.  It only confirms failure.  I've previously explained that the trope of a miracle #1 pick that comes in and saves the franchise is a myth; an urban legend.  For every Peyton Manning, there are a dozen of:

Tim Couch
Michael Vick
David Carr
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Alex Smith
JaMarcus Russell
Matthew Stafford
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Jameis Winston
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:13:16 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 02:07:31 pm »

I totally hear you about the myth of the #1 pick, but a lot of those times the team took the QB at #1 because they needed a QB, not because the kid was a can't miss talent. In a down year for prospects, guys like Sam Darnold go #3. Tua and the other 2 guys would go #1 if they were draft eligible last year and they are legit prospects, not just the best of what is left.

So, that's the difference. If we had the #1 pick in 2019 and Sam Darnold was available, I would trade the pick. He isn't a franchise QB, he was just what was available for a QB needy team.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 02:22:29 pm »

That's why I bolded Eli and Luck.  How many titles did SD get from their terrible 2003 season, with a highly-rated QB prospect in the following draft?  How about IND, with the best QB prospect in decades?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 02:25:01 pm »

The other problem with high draft pick QB misses is they are hard to move on from.  Even at the ten spot, AZ’s decision to move on from Rosen is extremely unconventional.  Other positions it is less of an issue, draft a CB thinking he would be a shut down corner of the Revis level, if he turns out to be only a nickel back, he can still provide some benefit to the team.  He will be a disappointment  but not a bust.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2019, 02:27:00 pm »

Never rooted for them to lose.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 03:03:46 pm »

The other problem with high draft pick QB misses is they are hard to move on from.  Even at the ten spot, AZ’s decision to move on from Rosen is extremely unconventional.  Other positions it is less of an issue, draft a CB thinking he would be a shut down corner of the Revis level, if he turns out to be only a nickel back, he can still provide some benefit to the team.  He will be a disappointment  but not a bust.

Absolutely. We are putting a ton of our chips into this draft for a QB, but everything else we have done for 20 years has failed so why not gamble this one time? Hell, I wouldn't even call it gambling. Tearing it down and accumulating tons of draft picks and cap space is probably the most well thought out plan we have had in a decade.

Still, I'd rather miss on Tua because he was a bust than miss drafting a QB because we went 3-13 and they were all gone by the time we picked.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2019, 04:13:34 pm »

Absolutely. We are putting a ton of our chips into this draft for a QB, but everything else we have done for 20 years has failed so why not gamble this one time? Hell, I wouldn't even call it gambling. Tearing it down and accumulating tons of draft picks and cap space is probably the most well thought out plan we have had in a decade.

Still, I'd rather miss on Tua because he was a bust than miss drafting a QB because we went 3-13 and they were all gone by the time we picked.

I can almost guarantee you at least one QB drafted in round 2-7 will be better than one of the top 3 QBs taken.

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2019, 05:09:29 pm »

Never rooted for them to lose.

Same here, have been pissed off mightily about their play, but have never rotted for them to lose.  Even this year, I knew they were depleted at talent in certain positions, but still rooting for them to win, regardless of this "tanking"agenda that is going around on social media, the fans and the local Dolphins beat writers.

Flores is putting in place, players he thinks are mentally strong, get what he and his staff are doing and building from the ground up.

I root every Sunday for the Dolphins to win, regardless of what they are working with or whom they are playing. #FinsUp

I'd rather be lucky than good.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 09:02:07 am »

I can almost guarantee you at least one QB drafted in round 2-7 will be better than one of the top 3 QBs taken.

Very likely, but you never know who it is and we have had our share of 2nd rounders either drafted ourselves or used in trades that turned out to be nothing. Tanny was a 1st rounder and the best QB we had since Marino. He wasn't the best but a lot of that blame has to fall on the organization. 1st round, Top 3 Pick QB is more of a sure thing than a diamond in the rough in the later rounds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray