Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:06:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Have you ever rooted against the Dolphins?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Have you ever rooted against the Dolphins?  (Read 4209 times)
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 04:58:19 am »

A lot of you guys are putting an incredible amount of faith in the positive consequences of an 0-16 season.  Let's keep in mind that the Lions' 0-16 season earned them the same number of playoff wins as MIA has in the same timeframe.  And it also seems that the people who were spending last offseason shouting loud hosannahs at the 0-16 Browns for Trusting The Process have fallen silent.

0-16 doesn't guarantee success.  It only confirms failure.  I've previously explained that the trope of a miracle #1 pick that comes in and saves the franchise is a myth; an urban legend.  For every Peyton Manning, there are a dozen of:

Tim Couch
Michael Vick
David Carr
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Alex Smith
JaMarcus Russell
Matthew Stafford
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Jameis Winston

You are a bit rough on Stafford, Newton and Vick - I think they meet the definition of successful Quarterbacks as much as Luck (or for that matter Matt Ryan).

Palmer and Smith were solid and had their moments (subject to chronic injuries), Bradford less so. Winston is still TBD but the signs don't look good... Russell, Couch, Carr are the obvious bombs.

Ultimately though it really falls on your scouting and GM to pick the talent regardless of position, and just as importantly pick guys who will fit into your team. That's what was so frustrating with the Ireland era - his 'safe' picks were generally pretty solid, but a lot of those guys wound up playing their best football for other teams. His risky picks when he traded up though were disastrous, every time he did it I cringed and was unfortunately proven right...

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 12:14:47 pm »

Very likely, but you never know who it is and we have had our share of 2nd rounders either drafted ourselves or used in trades that turned out to be nothing. Tanny was a 1st rounder and the best QB we had since Marino. He wasn't the best but a lot of that blame has to fall on the organization. 1st round, Top 3 Pick QB is more of a sure thing than a diamond in the rough in the later rounds.

No doubt earlier picks give you a better chance.  Problem is if you miss on the first pick overall you are stuck with the bum for a couple of years even if the GM and coach realize the mistake during the first week of training camp. If you draft a dud with a second round pick, you can try again next year.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 06:51:08 pm »

You are a bit rough on Stafford, Newton and Vick - I think they meet the definition of successful Quarterbacks as much as Luck (or for that matter Matt Ryan).
If Ryan was a #1 pick I would have included him.  And I'd definitely agree that Stafford/Newton/Vick are as "successful" as Luck, which is to say that none of them ever won a Super Bowl; i.e. the reward that is supposed to make a terrible season worth it.

I didn't bold Eli and Luck because they were "successful"; I bolded them because they were highly-touted prospects who still brought ZERO championships to the team that drafted them.  So even if you are a terrible team and you land the #1 pick in a year with a generational prospect, that prospect might just say, "This team has an incompetent front office and I don't want to play for them."  And then instead of getting Eli Manning or John Elway, you get Philip Rivers/LaDainian Tomlinson or Chris Hinton/Ron Solt... and no championships.

Remember, the thing that's supposed to make this all worthwhile is not a "solid, competitive team."  Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wannstedt had solid, competitive teams; you don't need to gut your roster and trade away your best players to field a team that can compete for the playoffs every year.  No, the goal is championships, and that goal allegedly justifies tearing down the team to the studs and wasting a season.

And my point is, we have no reason to believe that would work.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:52:51 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 08:56:21 pm »

I might be rooting for them to lose big against Buffalo because otherwise this year will enter into "What if" territory again.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2019, 10:27:28 am »

I never have and I never will. LOVED yesterday's win!!!!

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2019, 02:06:57 pm »

I never have and I never will. LOVED yesterday's win!!!!

+++1
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray