Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:46:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  The Houston Astros could be in for it.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Houston Astros could be in for it.  (Read 1783 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: November 20, 2019, 01:24:57 pm »

If you haven't been following along, the Houston Astros have been accused of cheating at a very, very high level.  This level may have contributed, led to, assisted or helped in their World Series win.  It even spreads to my beloved Red Sox due to the current manager, Alex Cora, serving as the bench coach for the Astros when this "system" was put into place.

Houston is accused of setting up a camera in centerfield at Minute Maid Park that was hooked up to a television in the clubhouse to see whether an opposing pitcher was going to throw an off-speed pitch. An Astros team employee would allegedly relay the sign to the batter by banging on a trash can.

The Astros hitting at home and on the road since 2017 is staggering.  The punishment could also be.  MLB's top brass is on record stating fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks would be the start of his reach for this.  There are rumblings (leaked) out of MLB the office has taken these allegations so seriously once the investigation is concluded the Astros may be barred from post-season play (along with fines and suspensions); basically they would be looking to drag this franchise back to the stone ages: No team is above the game and, if proven, a team winning the WS on the basis of (or with the assistance of) cheating is as serious as it gets.

Anyone have any thoughts?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 02:05:33 pm »

Just a casual baseball fan here. Don't know much about the game, but I thought that stealing signs was what went on. ie. runner on second base tries to peek at what signs the catcher is giving to the pitcher from behind the plate. This isn't the case obviously, but I thought that was part of the game?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »

The difference is technology.  You cannot use secret electronic surveillance to gain an advantage during a live game.

Additionally, "Everyone else does it too" is never a convincing defense.  At a very minimum, if you got caught then you were doing it much more blatantly.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 03:47:56 pm »

Just a casual baseball fan here. Don't know much about the game, but I thought that stealing signs was what went on. ie. runner on second base tries to peek at what signs the catcher is giving to the pitcher from behind the plate. This isn't the case obviously, but I thought that was part of the game?

Stealing signs by sight is one thing.  Using secret technology to give yourself an advantage is a whole different level of wrong.

MLB's top brass is on record stating fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks would be the start of his reach for this.  There are rumblings (leaked) out of MLB the office has taken these allegations so seriously once the investigation is concluded the Astros may be barred from post-season play (along with fines and suspensions); basically they would be looking to drag this franchise back to the stone ages:

If the accusations are proven true, these are good punishment suggestions.   However, I would force them to vacate home wins between 2017 and 2019.  I would also have them vacate their 2017 World Series title. 

Manfried has some balls on him.   Unlike a certain commissioner in a different sport who lets a certain franchise get away with cheating

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 05:02:49 pm »

The video of them banging the trash can during off-speed pitches is quite damning. Yankees mentioned whistling in Game 1 of this year's ALCS and even Strasburg in Game 7 of the World Series said they had the signs during the first inning when he got hit so he switched gloves.

Combine this with testimony from one of the guys from the team and emails from management asking HOW TO CHEAT and it looks very bad. Home/Road playoff splits during certain series is dramatic as well. Plenty of smoke but I don't know if they have anything to implicate certain players or managers.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray