Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:33:28 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Greedy MLB wants to eliminate 42 minor league teams
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Greedy MLB wants to eliminate 42 minor league teams  (Read 2443 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« on: November 20, 2019, 06:27:47 pm »

MLB's current contract with minor league baseball expires as of the end of the 2020 season.  To cut costs MLB wants to eliminate 42 minor league baseball teams from across the country. This would not affect AAA and some AA programs. Many of these teams are a vital entertainment venue for the towns where they play, and the loss of a major league affiliation would be a death knell to virtually all of these teams.  Under the current contract the MLB team supplies players and coaches which they foot the bill for, the minor league team covers all the other expenses (stadium, equipment, travel, hotels, etc.).  They basically want to eliminate paying for players on the low end of development, and be able to move existing franchises to locations they like better.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 09:14:44 pm »

MLB's current contract with minor league baseball expires as of the end of the 2020 season.  To cut costs MLB wants to eliminate 42 minor league baseball teams from across the country. This would not affect AAA and some AA programs.
Would not?

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 09:20:48 am »

don't have a problem with it .. those "vital entertainment venues" should start up soccer teams instead since it's a way better sport to begin with
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 10:06:10 am »

There are so many more minor league teams today than 25 years ago. Not sure how much it helps them to have players playing that realistically never have a chance of playing pro ball but it seems like anyone can play if they want. I have no issue with them simplifying their process.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 10:31:47 am »

There are so many more minor league teams today than 25 years ago. Not sure how much it helps them to have players playing that realistically never have a chance of playing pro ball but it seems like anyone can play if they want. I have no issue with them simplifying their process.

I can actually attest to this from a personal level.  I played minor league baseball for 2 years.  One year in what was then called Low A and then my second year I was promoted to Upper A.   I was an undersized (5'10") left handed first baseman.  I was too slow to play the outfield and not tall enough to ever make the Major Leagues or even AAA as a first baseman.  I hit for average and had decent power, but how many 5'10" MLB first basemen have there been?   The Phillies signed me out of high school as a dart throw in the hopes that maybe I could evolve into an outfielder.  But that wasn't going to happen.  I MAYBE could have made it to AA.  But that is where I would have topped out.  In the two years that I played, ONE guy eventually made it to the majors.  And this was 35 years ago when there were a lot less minor league teams. 
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 03:11:43 pm »

Got to get the money to pay $300 million contracts from somewhere. Smiley

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 03:37:15 pm »

Well, there is some traction on the idea that MiLB should be required to pay its workers minimum wage.  Best way to combat that is to just threaten to lay them all off.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray