Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:45:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Ad Blocker
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ad Blocker  (Read 1565 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 04, 2019, 10:24:10 am »

I run an ad blocker on my Internet Browser.

When I run into a site that challenges that, makes me unblock or pay to remove ads or anything that doesn't take me immediately browse the article, I click back and continue to browse the net, never thinking about them again.

I don't even for a second, consider a different action.

I only wish there were a way to prevent me from getting the link shown to me or clicked in the first place.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 10:55:13 am »

I wouldn't want that as sometimes I need to access the pop-up. Not often but seems like some forms won't open until I temporarily accept the pop up for that site.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 10:56:34 am »

If I can click to continue, like a warning, I'm fine.  But if I'm forced to disable, I won't do it.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:46:03 am »

I agree with Dave, you lose my traffic if you want me to disable my adblocker.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 03:45:19 pm »

When I run into a site that challenges that, makes me unblock or pay to remove ads or anything that doesn't take me immediately browse the article, I click back and continue to browse the net, never thinking about them again.
Maybe it's my programmer coming out in me, but couldn't the Ad blocker be setup this way? Simply take you back to the page where you clicked on the link if it detects a pop-up so you would technically never see anything, you would simply click on the link and nothing would happen or at least you would end up back at the place you started without having to do anything. Seems like that would be possible and easily configurable to behave that way. I don't use Ad Blocker's so have no idea if there's one that does this but it seems doable.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:48:54 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 04:03:57 pm »

Maybe it's my programmer coming out in me, but couldn't the Ad blocker be setup this way? Simply take you back to the page where you clicked on the link if it detects a pop-up so you would technically never see anything, you would simply click on the link and nothing would happen or at least you would end up back at the place you started without having to do anything. Seems like that would be possible and easily configurable to behave that way. I don't use Ad Blocker's so have no idea if there's one that does this but it seems doable.

I assume it would have to take you to the page, realize it has a pop-up that requires you to disable itself (not sure how it would know that, but I'm not a programmer) and then pop you back.  Or it would have to maintain a full list of sites that are known to do this and just disable those links.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 07:57:09 pm »

I assume it would have to take you to the page, realize it has a pop-up that requires you to disable itself (not sure how it would know that, but I'm not a programmer) and then pop you back.  Or it would have to maintain a full list of sites that are known to do this and just disable those links.
What I'm saying is that if it detects a pop-up it could take you back to the page you were on. It wouldn't know the reason for the pop-up, but that's kinda what you asked for to not take you there if there's a pop-up, I'm sure that could be accomplished. If you want to see the pop-up and be able to respond to it, it already does that. I was trying to give you what you were hoping for which was a way to not take you there if it was gonna throw up a pop-up. You can't have it both ways.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 08:01:22 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 05:22:26 pm »

I run an ad blocker on my Internet Browser.

I don't even for a second, consider a different action.

I only wish there were a way to prevent me from getting the link shown to me or clicked in the first place.
If I get a popup and the site doesn't want me looking at their shit without disabling the adblocker. I usually type in "cache:" before the HTTP in the address. Then I don't look at their shit, I look at a google copy of their shit. It works 7 out of 10 times for me. If that doesn't work, I just google the topic to find another source or forget about it.

http://HTTP://random-article.com ---> cache:HTTP://random-article.com

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray