Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:36:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Who is broke AF right now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who is broke AF right now?  (Read 1345 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 04, 2019, 04:05:32 pm »

Completely anecdotal, but I'm broke.  ...just short on liquid cash, because of a host of reasons.  I have house stuff, I went on vacation with the family, holidays, some other stuff.

But also, everyone around me is broke.  I have noticed a bunch of people packing their lunch at work that normally go out, etc. 

Is it just the time of year?  Is anyone out there more broke AF than usual?

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 04:23:11 pm »

Not that time of year for me. Always broke    Smiley

and it's been tighter than normal for the last year.. year and 1/2 for sure.

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 05:25:17 pm »

I actually had a major windfall recently.

Some of you may be aware that I purchased a Chevy Volt back in 2016.  A few months after I bought it (with less than 4000mi on the odometer), the infotainment (radio/navigation/etc.) computer died and the dealer replaced it.  Time passes, the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired back in spring of this year, and in August the infotainment computer died AGAIN; dealer said it would be $1500 to replace.

I complained about twice having to replace a part in under 4 years that should last the life of the vehicle, and the dealer suggested I call GM Customer Support.  They forwarded me to their CA Lemon Law department, who reviewed my service history and decided to purchase the car back from me.  They requested a statement from the lender with all of my payment history, then added the down payment to that total.  They subtracted ~$1100 for a "usage fee" (based on the mileage the first time I had the problem) and gave me back the rest!  I delivered the car to the dealership, and GM paid off the remainder of the loan.

In total, I paid $1100 to drive the car for ~3.5 years... except that I also received ~$9000 in EV rebates.  So basically, I received almost $8000 to drive the car and then give it back.  Needless to say, I was pleased with the outcome.  Especially since my expectation was that GM would do nothing and I would have to eat $1500 to replace the computer, then likely sell the car at around break even with what I owed.

I took the money I got from GM and did some home repair I had been postponing, and also got a replacement for the Volt:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:27:27 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 06:14:10 pm »

Very nice when things go bad and you come out better for it.

I'm a little tight for similar reasons as Dave but most people I know are doing well. Seems like this time of year many people are stretching their budgets. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 11:40:39 am »

Yep, Nov & Dec.  Always does it for me.  Ended up buying a 2019 F150, my wife not working anymore. having to hold the fort down sux but hey gotta keep it moving

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:49:39 am »

I'm doing the best financially I've ever done.  My old job cashed out my stocks I had with them when I left, which left me with a nice nest egg, and at my new job, I'm making more money than I've ever made.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:24:49 pm »

I'm a little tight but not totally broke.   Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I tend to go overboard.   However, due to love life complications, I will not be buying as many gifts this year.   

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray