Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:30:42 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Question about Flores
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Question about Flores  (Read 2539 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: December 08, 2019, 05:08:22 pm »

Espn said he was incensed about the call.

Everybody on here seems to agree with it.

Why was he upset, then? 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 08:23:34 pm »

Just angry that it went against him. It sucks to basically have the game won and then have a review of a non-call turn it into a loss.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 10:00:04 pm »

I saw it

The NFL rules say,

actions that that do not constitute pass interference include incidental contact when both players are playing for the ball.  Could that have applied here?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 07:07:27 am »

I saw it

The NFL rules say,

actions that that do not constitute pass interference include incidental contact when both players are playing for the ball.  Could that have applied here?

The contact wasn't incidental, so no.

Flores was probably pissed because it's a bang-bang play and those have traditionally not been reviewed and not been overturned on challenge. The NFL's "rules interpretations and guidelines" at least used to specifically say this.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 08:41:45 am »

I saw it

The NFL rules say,

If it was just our corner's left arm I would say the no call stands, but his right arm interfered with the other receiver in an intentional manner so the review got the call right.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 09:41:36 am »

It's just hard to watch a sport for 40 years where that isn't a penalty and then a new rule has you slow it down to where it becomes a penalty after the fact.  I get it...it was Pass Interference, but you hate to see a non-call that was so fast in the moment go against you and literally cost you the game.

But also, it's a coaches job to advocate for his players.  It shows them that he cares and expects the same from them.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:54:54 am »

It's just hard to watch a sport for 40 years where that isn't a penalty and then a new rule has you slow it down to where it becomes a penalty after the fact.  I get it...it was Pass Interference, but you hate to see a non-call that was so fast in the moment go against you and literally cost you the game.

By the letter, it was clearly PI. It does raise the question of whether "bang bang" plays should be called differently. I think we are seeing that with the re-interpretation of the PI challenge rules (since calls were pretty much allowed to stand regardless for the first third of the season). It will be interesting to see what the guidance is this off-season and if there are any letter-of-the-law rule tweaks. If it continues like it is now, it will definitely change the way corners play.

Personally, I would rather not have challenges overrule anything that cannot be judged in real-time. If you need slow-motion to make the call determination, just let the call stand.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 10:08:35 am »

This year seems to be the worse officiating I have ever seen....It is almost like the refs response to being criticized for Nickell Robey-Coleman non-call was "you think that was bad...you ain't seen anything yet...here, hold my beer"

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 10:12:42 am »

This year seems to be the worse officiating I have ever seen....It is almost like the refs response to being criticized for Nickell Robey-Coleman non-call was "you think that was bad...you ain't seen anything yet...here, hold my beer"

With PI now reviewable, a lot more things are being called that probably wouldn't have been called in real-time.

But the Patriots game yesterday was just ridiculous.

Sometimes calls have an element of judgement to them, like pass interference calls and other penalty calls, but those calls were just flat out wrong.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 10:12:54 am »

By the letter, it was clearly PI.

It was.  But you really had to slow it down to tell, which makes it look egregious.  I'm fine with it -- I get it -- The NFL is changing.  But it's tough...are we going to allow other types of judgment to be reviewed?  In a game that already has such weight to big offense, does this tilt the scale too much.

In a way, I feel kinda the same way about this as I do red light cameras.  I don't mind getting a ticket if I run a red light...but it starts to feel like a police state if you don't catch me in the moment.

I drink your milkshake!
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 10:19:54 am »

It was.  But you really had to slow it down to tell, which makes it look egregious.  I'm fine with it -- I get it -- The NFL is changing.  But it's tough...are we going to allow other types of judgment to be reviewed?  In a game that already has such weight to big offense, does this tilt the scale too much.

In a way, I feel kinda the same way about this as I do red light cameras.  I don't mind getting a ticket if I run a red light...but it starts to feel like a police state if you don't catch me in the moment.

A better red light comparison might be.  "If it was really late and there was nobody else at the intersection, and it was a close call as to whether I run the light or not, (i.e., the traffic office had to go to the replay camera and determined that the front of my car was just BARELY in the intersection), then they shouldn't have given me a ticket". 

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 10:43:45 am »

One thing I think we can all agree.

The scoring review rule should be amended to include potential scoring plays.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 01:50:46 pm »

^^^That's what I don't get. At that point the Jets were out of timeouts, so they couldn't have challenged the play. It was reviewed by the booth and they reversed it. Now in the Patriots game, they were out of timeouts too, so they couldn't challenge. It was an obvious TD and the booth didn't intervene and reverse it. Seems to me the the booth should either review all dodgey calls or none and go 100% with the coach challenge rules. Shit doesn't make any sense.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 02:10:23 pm »

^^^That's what I don't get. At that point the Jets were out of timeouts, so they couldn't have challenged the play. It was reviewed by the booth and they reversed it. Now in the Patriots game, they were out of timeouts too, so they couldn't challenge. It was an obvious TD and the booth didn't intervene and reverse it. Seems to me the the booth should either review all dodgey calls or none and go 100% with the coach challenge rules. Shit doesn't make any sense.

No the Patriots were not out of time outs, they were out of challenges having used both winning one and losing the other. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 03:00:58 pm »

No the Patriots were not out of time outs, they were out of challenges having used both winning one and losing the other. 
Out of timeouts and out of challenges is basically the same thing. In either case you can't challenge a play. My point is that in one case the booth intervened and in the other case the booth didn't. In the Dolphins case, the booth review caused them to lose the game. In the Patriots case, the lack of a booth review caused them to lose the game. Like I said, the booth should either review all dodgey calls or none and go 100% with the coach challenge rules. That's some willy nilly retarded shit right there...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray