Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:06:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Gerrit Cole
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Gerrit Cole  (Read 4369 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 08:33:26 am »

Farm system would not prevent it from working. 

Farm system completely keeps this from being a reality.  This is one of the advantages the NFL has on MLB. College Football is their "farm system," they don't need to put a nickle into it. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 11:04:00 am »

Farm system completely keeps this from being a reality.  This is one of the advantages the NFL has on MLB. College Football is their "farm system," they don't need to put a nickle into it. 

I bet Cole makes more than then every player in the Yankees farm system combined. 

But regardless of how much the farm system costs, its existence doesn’t prevent a salary cap.  Hockey has a farm system and a cap.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 01:25:37 pm »

I think the Yankees were smart with this move. They have a very good young core of players but despite back to back 100+ win seasons, they were missing that one piece to get them over the top. Like I said before, they were eliminated in Game 6 because they started a damn reliever due to not having an actual starter to go for them. So, they spent their money and are overwhelming favorites to win it all. No guarantee of course, but they did what they had to do.

Same as Boston in 2018. No one wanted JD Martinez for some reason so Boston swooped in, put up the cash and had themselves a World Series title.

Building a team through free agents can't really work in MLB these days, as the Angels keep showing us. You need a young core through the farm and smart trades, but when push comes to shove, go get that superstar if you can.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 03:32:40 am »

Meanwhile the Rays are letting go of their high priced talent and still winning. 
for extremely modest values of "winning"

TB made the playoffs for the first time in 6 years as the second Wild Card team.  They won that game and then lost in the division series.  That kind of outcome is a miracle season for the Rays, but a dismal failure for the Yankees.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2019, 03:36:11 am »

Also I would like to see baseball pay MiLB players more.  Reducing the MLB contracts by just 1 or 2% would free up enough cash to provide MiLB players enough money to live a decent life.
Or: the players could receive 1-2% more of baseball-related revenue, then give that money to MiLB.

If one side has to take less money to increase MiLB salaries, I'm not sure why it should be the players.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2019, 05:04:11 pm »

Or: the players could receive 1-2% more of baseball-related revenue, then give that money to MiLB.

If one side has to take less money to increase MiLB salaries, I'm not sure why it should be the players.

I would not oppose this. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray