Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:27:53 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Wage debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Wage debate  (Read 6568 times)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2019, 08:41:10 pm »

I postulated that reagan did a bunch of harm to the middle class .. you replied with a non sequitor video about the minimum wage from teenagers that provide wide generalities without considering causation. Economics is hard, I don't claim to know everything, but I do read alot of economics in my spare time and i provided some images to helpfully illustrate my point that reagan was the cause of the downfall of the middle class in this country.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2019, 10:44:23 pm »

Got to love when even mainstream media supports the conservative viewpoint
I'm not sure how surprising it is when a Fox News employee makes a video for a libertarian think tank that supports a conservative viewpoint.  ReasonTV is about as "mainstream" as RedState or The Blaze.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2019, 10:59:22 pm »

I'm not sure how surprising it is when a Fox News employee makes a video for a libertarian think tank that supports a conservative viewpoint.  ReasonTV is about as "mainstream" as RedState or The Blaze.

How many states are represented on this Board.

FL
MA
CA

are the three I can think of right away.

What is the minimum wage in CA and FL?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2019, 07:29:24 am »

FL
MA
CA

Simple google search will tell you:

CA:  $12
FL:  $8.46
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2019, 09:08:37 am »

Problem is insurance is not a can a beans.  Walmart doesn't care who buys its beans.

With insurance the purchaser makes a huge difference.  A  74 year old with a history of heart disease is a different customer than a healthy 20 year old.  The ONLY way to have uniform premium for both is with government intervention. 
Not sure how. What laws would Walmart break and what backlash would they face if they priced beans based on age or health status?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2019, 02:16:01 am »

I would imagine they would be breaking a raft of privacy laws by requiring your medical history to sell you food.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2019, 08:27:53 am »

I'm not sure how surprising it is when a Fox News employee makes a video for a libertarian think tank that supports a conservative viewpoint.  ReasonTV is about as "mainstream" as RedState or The Blaze.
John Stossel is known for his work on ABC 20/20 for 28 years. Few people know he is on FOX Business and I'm guessing you even had to Google it but it brings about an interesting point. Stossel was very liberal during his ABC time but his years of investigative reporting exposed many lies.  Stossel is a Libertarian today.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2019, 08:30:57 am »

I postulated that reagan did a bunch of harm to the middle class .. you replied with a non sequitor video about the minimum wage from teenagers that provide wide generalities without considering causation. Economics is hard, I don't claim to know everything, but I do read alot of economics in my spare time and i provided some images to helpfully illustrate my point that reagan was the cause of the downfall of the middle class in this country.
My first respnse response was a direct response to your post. The second was directly geared towards the title of the post. LOL ... didn't realize that was an issue.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2019, 09:00:01 pm »

John Stossel is known for his work on ABC 20/20 for 28 years.
This is like saying that Kid Rock is "known for" being a musician from bright-blue Detroit: true but irrelevant.

Few people know he is on FOX Business and I'm guessing you even had to Google it but it brings about an interesting point.
Do you really think I had to google John Stossel to find out that he has pushing libertarian talking points for decades?  There is some small amount of evidence on this forum that I am marginally aware about the political leaning of various figures.

Stossel was very liberal during his ABC time but his years of investigative reporting exposed many lies.
This would be as opposed to the other people who merely "discovered" that they were economically conservative once they started making a lot of money.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2019, 02:40:59 pm »

I would imagine they would be breaking a raft of privacy laws by requiring your medical history to sell you food.
Replace "beans" with any other commercial product for sale. Pricing any product based on age and medical history seems discriminatory.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2019, 12:25:10 pm »

Replace "beans" with any other commercial product for sale. Pricing any product based on age and medical history seems discriminatory.

Yet it is done all the time; children prices,  senior prices,  etc.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2019, 01:51:04 pm »

So restaurants in your area require a medical history to get the kids meal, or a senior discount?

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2019, 03:09:02 pm »

FL
MA
CA

NYS has also been on a 6 year plan to raise the minimum wage to $15.  For NYC they hit $15 as of 1/1/20.  For the rest of the state it increases to $11.80 for 2020, $12.50 for 2021, and Potential $15 for 2022 but that one hasn't been finalized.  The crazy thing is that fast food workers, whether in NYC or other parts of the state reach $15/hour faster.  For instance this year out side of NYC the min wage is $11.80, unless your a fast food worker who will get $13.75.  Really makes no sense.  This is why fast food chains are going away from order takers and having customers punch their order into a kiosk.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2019, 11:39:30 pm »

The crazy thing is that fast food workers, whether in NYC or other parts of the state reach $15/hour faster.  For instance this year out side of NYC the min wage is $11.80, unless your a fast food worker who will get $13.75.  Really makes no sense.  This is why fast food chains are going away from order takers and having customers punch their order into a kiosk.
Continuing to pay fast food workers $11.80 will not stop the kiosks from arriving, or even slow it down appreciably.

It's like thinking that if only we get rid of unions, manufacturing jobs won't be automated out of existence.  Those ships have sailed, and the only questions now are:

1) How much pay will the people who have yet to be automated away receive?
2) What will we do when most of these jobs no longer exist?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2019, 01:36:09 pm »

So restaurants in your area require a medical history to get the kids meal, or a senior discount?

The word age was in the  sentence I quoted.  Thanks for playing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray