Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:38:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Winter 2019 Coaching Hotseat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Winter 2019 Coaching Hotseat  (Read 4766 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« on: December 24, 2019, 02:20:49 pm »

It's that time of year when some NFL coaches are thinking more about getting fired than what they are getting for Christmas.  Seems like there are an awful lot of firing possibilities, at least (10) that I can think of, so I'm kind of surprised no one has been axed yet so their ownership can get a headstart on finding their next coach.

My first nomination for firing is Dan Quinn, Atlanta head coach.  Falcons' owner Arthur Blank wants results after getting a taste for the Super Bowl, and the Falcons have underperformed.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 01:43:17 pm »

It's that time of year when some NFL coaches are thinking more about getting fired than what they are getting for Christmas.  Seems like there are an awful lot of firing possibilities, at least (10) that I can think of, so I'm kind of surprised no one has been axed yet so their ownership can get a headstart on finding their next coach.

My first nomination for firing is Dan Quinn, Atlanta head coach.  Falcons' owner Arthur Blank wants results after getting a taste for the Super Bowl, and the Falcons have underperformed.

Losing that Super Bowl the way they did set them back big time and it's gone downhill for them ever since.   I don't think they will recover for a long long time, especially with their key players on offense getting long in the tooth.   Quinn is definitely on the hot seat.

Another hot seat coach would be Browns coach Freddie Kitchens.   The team went out and traded and signed and spent like there was no tomorrow, and this team couldn't even make the playoffs.   Another perfect example of how futile it is to build your team primarily through free agency. 

Lastly, Jason Garrett is on a hot seat that may turn nuclear if the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs.  IMO, he should've been gone a long time ago.  With the talent that has come through there, a half decent coach could've had them in the playoffs for many seasons. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 02:03:56 pm »

I predict nobody in the AFCE gets fired.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 02:29:37 pm »

I'm not too sure about Gase. I don't think they performed up to expectations and I think he's angered a lot of folks in NY with some comments lately. Wouldn't surprise me to see them reload at headcoach again this year. It's not like they would be losing any ground they had made.

I would just like to say that I personally liked Gase as a headcoach but his track record is poor and if what they say in some of the recent articles is true, then I really can't defend him anymore.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 02:31:44 pm »

Lastly, Jason Garrett is on a hot seat that may turn nuclear if the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs.  IMO, he should've been gone a long time ago.  With the talent that has come through there, a half decent coach could've had them in the playoffs for many seasons. 

Garret is out even if the Cowboys make the playoffs. That's a given. The only way he saves his job at this point is if they somehow manage to make the Superbowl and that ain't happening.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 02:37:22 pm »

I'm not too sure about Gase.

Jets will give him a second year.  Coaches rarely only get one year, and the Jets improved from last year.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 03:03:41 pm »

Garret is out even if the Cowboys make the playoffs. That's a given. The only way he saves his job at this point is if they somehow manage to make the Superbowl and that ain't happening.

Not even then, he would need to win the Superbowl.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 04:11:28 pm »

Are you sure BB won't get axed if he doesn't win a SB??  He's only won (3) in the last 14 years. lol
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:06:12 pm by masterfins » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 04:36:40 pm »

Arthur Blank said he would fire Quinn if the team didn't rattle off some wins, and so they did going from 3rd in the draft to 13th  Grin

They can conceivably end the year 7-9 after starting the year 1-7. So, hard to fire a coach after ending the year 6-2 but he will be fired next season if they aren't more competitive.

Jason Garrett will be fired if he doesn't win the Superbowl so he's fired.

Giants head coach may get another season as that team is really lacking in talent due to management.

Gase is safe, Jets are ending the year on a high note plus this is just his first season and he got the GM fired. He will have another season guaranteed.

Doug Marrone should be fired from the Jags.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 07:48:08 pm »

Are you sure BB won't get axed if he doesn't win a SB??  He's only one (3) in the last 14 years. lol

It is possible he might retire.  But he won’t be fired.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 09:59:10 am »

It is possible he might retire.  But he won’t be fired.

I think if he and Brady win the Superbowl again, they will both retire. No one will ever touch their championship rings record and what is left to prove? Better to go out on top than perhaps suffer an embarrassing 2020 season when the wheels finally come off and the team goes 6-10.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 09:59:56 am »

Dan Quinn will keep his job per the team. He will give up some coordinator duties but stay on as the head coach.

Of course, if they start off 1-5 next season then he will be fired.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 11:32:41 am »

I think if he and Brady win the Superbowl again, they will both retire. No one will ever touch their championship rings record and what is left to prove? Better to go out on top than perhaps suffer an embarrassing 2020 season when the wheels finally come off and the team goes 6-10.
No way. BB wants to prove he can win without Brady. He'll stay at least 1 year beyond Brady's retirement.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 12:02:29 pm »

No way. BB wants to prove he can win without Brady. He'll stay at least 1 year beyond Brady's retirement.
People say this, but is it true?  What makes you think that's the case?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 12:43:23 pm »

I don't think there is any shame in having the most successful QB/Coach tandem of all time. He went 11-5 with Matt Cassel, that should be good enough. Why risk going 6-10 next season without Brady? There just isn't anything left to prove, the rings speak for themselves. I think they both retire after the season unless they lose 78-0 to the Ravens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray