Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:12:46 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  What do you look for in a QB?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What do you look for in a QB?  (Read 1892 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: December 30, 2019, 12:40:00 pm »

Just wanted to pose this question to everyone. What do you look for in a QB?

I will say i'm a simpleton when it comes to QBs, i tend to look at stats as a main factor which i'm sure isn't a very reliable measurement, but i have never played football in my life so my knowledge isn't very high.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 12:47:26 pm »

This season proves that a quarterback is as good as the players around him.

See:  Ryan Tannehill

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 01:07:23 pm »

I like prototypical QBs.  I don't like scrappy undersized guys.  I want 6'4" pocket passer.

I had the unpopular opinion a few years ago that I stand by: I'd rather have Ryan Tannehill on my team than Russell Wilson...even today.

Even though you can say that Wilson is better, I just don't want to deal with it.  I'd rather build an offense around a traditional passer -- I think it gives you more options long-term.  Wilson has done great with his skills, but he had a superb defense and running game, so his "make things happen" style of offense worked well.  But ever since they paid him top QB money, I think they're done.  They won't have the tools to go deep.  They've been competitive, but we'll see.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 01:14:18 pm »

Combine report on the greatest QB of all time....

--Poor build
--Skinny
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield
--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 01:27:54 pm »

Combine report on the greatest QB cheater of all time....

--Poor build
--Skinny

FIFY 

We all know how Brady got his props.   I'd love to see him sign with another team as a FA and watch him get blasted.  

There's a reason why Belichick is 11-13 against his former assistants.   They know what he does.   There's a rumor Flores changed up the game signals at the last second so Belichick couldn't use tape against him.   If that's the case, that's a stroke of genius.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:40:50 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 01:36:20 pm »

The more Tannehill has success the more pissed I get, actually.  I really liked the draft pick at the time, I really liked him as a player.  It always seems like Miami is a finger nail away from "that guy."  It's either taking Culpepper instead of Brees, or having a guy in camp like Tannehill and having an absolute lunatic like Gase who has no idea how to coach him.

Ryan Tannehill is what I look for in a QB.  I suspect he is going to be a guy Miami will regret let get away.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 01:52:11 pm »

Tannehill's issue was his window and his ability to stay healthy within that window.

He was going to get paid and we weren't the team to pay him while we rebuilt.  And he was too risky because he hadn't been able to stay healthy behind this line.

It just wasn't a good fit.  He was a good player, though and I'm glad he is getting a decent shot at things.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 01:53:17 pm »

--Poor build
--Skinny

Brady is the prototype...maybe not a physical specimen, but he's the 6'4" pocket passer that I'm referring to.

I think that guys like Brees and Wilson are good players, but just not what I'm looking to build around.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 04:04:01 pm »

I still like the big strong armed QB's over the smaller more mobile QB's. I'm secretly hoping Justin Herbert drops to like 18th and we take him there.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 05:00:30 pm »

I still like the big strong armed QB's over the smaller more mobile QB's. I'm secretly hoping Justin Herbert drops to like 18th and we take him there.

I too like Herbert and hope Miami drafts him; I think he will be a huge success.  I'd take him in the 5th spot.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 02:14:50 pm »

I'm just going to throw out the obvious, I look for him to not be on crutches and in need of serious rehab.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 02:24:35 pm »

I'm just going to throw out the obvious, I look for him to not be on crutches and in need of serious rehab.

Upright mobility? You dream too big!
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 09:26:19 pm »

--Poor build
--Skinny

I knew Joe Montana had a pretty bad combine report before he was drafted...    oh, you mean the other guy  Wink Tongue

Funnily enough, Montana did have quite a few of those very same things mentioned prior to the pros (eg. the lack of arm strength, doesn't throw a really tight spiral, etc) as well as being seen as being on the short side at just over 6' 1 ...

... but what really won over Walsh was his uncanny knack at 4th quarter comebacks in big games. The confidence, the leadership to pass that on to his teammates, and the execution to actually do it when it counted at the biggest moments. Sounds just like someone else coincidentally enough.

That's the first thing on the top of my QB wish list.
Garrett

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 11:56:35 pm »

Ryan Tannehill. I wish the Dolphins could find someone like him... Oh wait...
SilentTJ

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 03:53:32 am »

The biggest things I’d look for in a QB is confidence and high football IQ. Playing QB is more about knowing the ins and outs of every aspect of football than it is physical attributes. Its being coachable and willing to put in the work to learn how a play is meant to run and how to adjust at the line based on the defense. Sadly this is becoming harder to find out of college because guys aren’t being taught to really play QB. They’re being taught to follow the coaches orders and run a play exactly according to script. We all see it. They get the signs, communicate the play, everyone lines up, they act as if they’re about to snap, then the entire offense looks to the sideline for adjustments and further instructions. The QB doesn’t have to read the defense and call out protections. Hell, they’re not even being taught to hard count now as they just clap to snap the ball. The most thinking they do during a play now is on RPO’s. Is the WR uncovered? Or do I just hand off? So guys are entering the league now, trying to learn a pro offense and not even understanding how different concepts work or how to call out protections or audible or basically anything. They did a piece on Mcvay and Goff how they were hurrying to the line so that mcvay could actually radio in the audibles to him before the radio cutoff, that way Goff didn’t have to do it himself. Give me a guy who loves every detail of football and is capable of understanding every aspect of the game over someone who checks every physical box.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray