Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:47:23 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Chad O'Shea Fired as OC and they rehire Chan Gailey to replace him (edited)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Chad O'Shea Fired as OC and they rehire Chan Gailey to replace him (edited)  (Read 5568 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: December 30, 2019, 09:14:40 pm »

On one hand, you're surprised they would let him go considering the lack of all around talent he had to work with. On the other hand, Devante Parker made everyone look good by grabbing so many jump balls and moving the chains.

I'm not heartbroken over it, just a bit surprised. We also let go our O-Line coach and our Secondary coach. O-Line coach should be a huge priority.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:43:57 am by CF DolFan » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 08:46:28 am »

Maybe we can bring back Fiedler and Lamar Smith and really go all Wanny. Apparently we aren't looking to be innovative and won't be afraid to punt any longer. Not what many of us were looking forward to.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/31/report-dolphins-hiring-chan-gailey-as-offensive-coordinator/

Report: Dolphins hiring Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 31, 2019, 7:12 AM EST

The Dolphins are going old-school with their new offensive coordinator.

Chan Gailey is coming out of retirement and will be the next offensive coordinator in Miami, NFL Network is reporting.

The 67-year-old Gailey last coached as the Jets’ offensive coordinator in 2016. He has previously been head coach of the Bills and Cowboys, and his many stints as an offensive coordinator include a previous stop in Miami in 2000 and 2001.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was Gailey’s starting quarterback for all three of his years in Buffalo, and then was the starting quarterback again for both of Gailey’s seasons as offensive coordinator of the Jets, so it appears likely the Dolphins will keep Fitzpatrick, who finished the 2019 season strong.

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores fired offensive coordinator Chad O’Shea yesterday and is now moving quickly to replace him, with a coach everyone thought was retired but will now try to get the Dolphins back into contention.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:48:52 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 08:49:27 am »

A 68 year old OC who has been out of football for 3 years.  Great. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 09:01:11 am »

I will see how this works out but initial reactions make me think this is a bad idea. I understand that Fitzpatrick will probably be the starter in 2020 if they see nothing in Rosen and if they want to draft a QB it would help if he redshirted the first year, but you don't hire an OC just because of a 38 year old QB.

This had to be in the works for weeks though, you don't bring a senior citizen out of retirement on a whim.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 09:16:11 am »

Don't forget that Chan Gailey has head coaching experience and Flores wanted someone on the staff that had head coaching experience because he doesn't have a lot of it. Caldwell was supposed to be that guy this year but took a leave of absence so maybe Gailey fills that role so this decision does make sense from that perspective. He also has a lot of experience in the AFCE which may be an advantage.

The other thing I read was that O'Shea's offense was complex and maybe it was thought a little too complex for a young QB whether that's Rosen or another young QB brought it for next year. He also has a lot of experience with Fitzpatrick so this almost assures that Fitzpatrick will be back with the Dolphins next year, perhaps that also came into consideration.

Does this mean that Miami isn't going to select a QB in the 1st round of the draft and will wait till 2021 to get a franchise QB? Maybe they have their eyes set on Trevor Lawrence? Don't assume the Dolphins won't be able to get him in 2021, they have a lot of draft capital to work with and I don't see them winning 10 games next year, maybe 7 or 8. Depending upon who has the top picks in the draft it could still be a possibility.

We'll have to wait and see how it all works out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:59:49 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 09:49:26 am »

Don't forget that Chan Gailey has head coaching experience and Flores wanted someone on the staff that had head coaching experience because he doesn't have a lot of it. Caldwell was supposed to be that guy this year but took a leave of absence so maybe Gailey fills that role so this decision does make sense from that perspective. He also has a lot of experience in the AFCE which may be an advantage.

The other thing I read was that O'Shea's offense was complex and maybe it was thought a little too complex for a young QB whether that's Rosen or another young QB brought it for next year. He also has a lot of experience with Fitzpatrick so this almost assures that Fitzpatrick will be back with the Dolphins next year, perhaps that also came into consideration.

These are very good points, I completely forgot about Caldwell.

Gailey's scheme is very pass happy and spread out so that's good that we are relying on probably our greatest strength. It didn't work in Miami because we had Jay Fiedler and not a great passing corps.

Of course, it should be noted now that if Rosen stays with the team this will be his FIFTH Offensive Coordinator in 3 seasons. This is a textbook way to screw up a kid's development, we saw that with Tanny. No O-Line plus a new system every 5 minutes. Just trade him away now while we can maybe get a 4th rounder out of him.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 10:55:19 am »

It is technically true that Tom Clements was Rosen's OC, but it is as misleading as saying that Bill Belichick experience includes being the head coach of three different NFL teams.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:23:33 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 12:09:45 pm »

Not excited about Gailey at all. I remember it as a boring offense.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 12:47:10 pm »

Not excited about Gailey at all. I remember it as a boring offense.

It's hard to pin that on him entirely because he coaches a spread offense and we had Jay Fiedler and no WR. We have much better receivers this time around and if Ryan is the starter in 2020, he has experience in it. It all sounds uninspiring but it may work out well for us. Like I said above, they were thinking about this for weeks. You don't get a man out of retirement if you called him on Monday afternoon, they definitely had conversations for weeks already.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 04:52:18 pm »

I'm not excited about Gailey being hired.  NFL OC's have to work incredibly long hours, and given Gailey's age, and more importantly that he has been away from it for 3 years, does not bode well.

I see Caldwell is healthy and ready to resume coaching duties, and it would be nice to have him back to provide that mentorship role for Flores, but several teams will probably look to tap him to fill their HC openings.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 04:58:07 pm »

I'm not excited about Gailey being hired.  NFL OC's have to work incredibly long hours, and given Gailey's age, and more importantly that he has been away from it for 3 years, does not bode well.

I see Caldwell is healthy and ready to resume coaching duties, and it would be nice to have him back to provide that mentorship role for Flores, but several teams will probably look to tap him to fill their HC openings.

I would be surprised if Caldwell was supposed to come back to Miami and we told him no. I think we went with Gailey because Caldwell wasn't coming back one way or the other.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 06:00:57 pm »

Like I said the other day. I'm fine with Fitz for another couple years. He has his issues. However, he proved something to me this year, especially the second half of the year. I also never liked playing against him when he was with the Bills or Jets. He's just so frustrating to play against even if he's on a bad or mediocre team. Imagine the Patriots game last week (or whole season) if we had a legit running game, good OL, and decent defense. Fitz is good enough to build around for the next year or maybe two.

O'Shea seemed to do a good job with the scrubs that he had to work with. I would have liked to give him another season to really gauge his scheme. But Flores is the head coach and he signed off on this change, so I'm OK with it at this point. Interestingly, if I had to bet, I would have said that they would have replaced the DC Patrick Graham instead of O'Shea. However, just like O'Shea, I think Graham should have another season to really gauge his competence. Like O'Shea, he had shit to work with and did a decent job considering the circumstances. I will say though, I was really put off by Graham's press conferences. He seemed like just some dude off the street and couldn't really string together a coherent thought.

As far as Chan Gailey situation goes. I'm kind of indifferent. He does run a spread type offense which makes me happy. Anyhow, pending the draft and free agency, I'm comfortable for now.

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 10:55:43 am »

This is the correct answer.  Yeah, I know the Miami offense in 2000-01 weren't ground breakers, they were run by Wannstadt by the way and I had no faith in that man back then.  I still don't trust his opinions on CFB on Fox Sports.

I did look at the Chan Gailey Offense in 2015 for NYJ and they were ranked 10th at the end of the season, and then fell off the map in 2016, ranking in the lower 8 teams. I think Fitzpatrick was hurt a good of that time and Petty was QB.

We will just have to wait and see, just like we did with Flores.  We can all agree that we like what we see from the coach in 2019 and his coaching style and rapport with players.

Trust the process

I'd rather be lucky than good.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 11:32:15 am »

This is the correct answer.  Yeah, I know the Miami offense in 2000-01 weren't ground breakers, they were run by Wannstadt by the way and I had no faith in that man back then.  I still don't trust his opinions on CFB on Fox Sports.

I hated Wanny when he was here but I've heard him say several times that he messed up thinking we didn't need a great QB to win. Doesn't do much for our past but it does show he is capable of learning albeit too late.

Per Armando ... Chan Gailey had influence in us not drafting Drew Brees to begin with.  "Gailey said Brees was “too short” for the NFL.

And he said the idea of selecting a quarterback high in the draft, which needed to be the case to get Brees, could have a harmful effect on incumbent starter Jay Fiedler’s comfort level and possibly negatively affect the offense’s chemistry."

Armando goes on to say "But the hire also raises eyebrows because Gailey doesn’t have a great history of either identifying or developing young NFL quarterbacks.

And the Dolphins, bless their hearts, need to find a young quarterback."

I see people trying their best to make this sound like a smart move but I honestly don't get the warm fuzzies from any angle I currently am looking from.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 11:37:28 am »

That's the con side of it.  The pro side would be he runs a spread offense, something all the top QB prospects are familiar with and the familiarity with Fitz having some of his best years there.  Time will tell if the cons or pros will be the outcome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray