Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:18:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Draft Topic: Let's Say Tua Does Not Declare...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Draft Topic: Let's Say Tua Does Not Declare...  (Read 11437 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: January 02, 2020, 09:15:09 am »

It would be a terrible move financially for him since he won't drop past us at 5 now and if it is career threatening injury then he may never see money again, but just for argument's sake he does not declare: Who are we drafting? Would you want us to pick the best available player at that spot or hope that we trade down a bit and gain more picks?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:29:49 am »

I'm not impressed with any QB prospects other than Burrows and Tua, so I would say draft best available Oline, EDGE, secondary and get a RB mid draft.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 09:33:40 am »

I'm not impressed with any QB prospects other than Burrows and Tua, so I would say draft best available Oline, EDGE, secondary and get a RB mid draft.

I'm leaning towards that too, although I want to take a long look at Herbert. He seems like a Trubisky type in that he isn't nearly good enough for a Top 10 pick but someone will take him there just out of need.

I heard this is a loaded RB class too so I'm inclined to use the Texans pick on one of those if the player seems like a game changer. I think our offense will jump a lot in 2020 while the defense will just make modest gains. 2021 can be about the defense.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:36:40 am »

I'm leaning towards that too, although I want to take a long look at Herbert. He seems like a Trubisky type in that he isn't nearly good enough for a Top 10 pick but someone will take him there just out of need.

I heard this is a loaded RB class too so I'm inclined to use the Texans pick on one of those if the player seems like a game changer. I think our offense will jump a lot in 2020 while the defense will just make modest gains. 2021 can be about the defense.
I watched Herbert last night in the Rose bowl, and no thanks.  He's like a poor man's version of Tannehill, had very poor passing stats too...something like 130 yards and 1 INT with no TD passes...he had 3 rushing TDs though, something he's not known for, as he had one all year.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:47:32 am »

I watched Herbert last night in the Rose bowl, and no thanks.  He's like a poor man's version of Tannehill, had very poor passing stats too...something like 130 yards and 1 INT with no TD passes...he had 3 rushing TDs though, something he's not known for, as he had one all year.

Let the Chargers take him then. If Tua does not declare then I would only want to take a QB if it was in the middle rounds as a project. I'm always skeptical of those fringe QBs who have a great combine and somehow find themselves in the 1st round, I want to avoid any guys like that.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:32:11 am »

Even if he does declare,  it doesn’t mean you are getting him.  Four teams draft before you.  And others can trade to jump in front.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 10:45:12 am »

I'm in the camp that 80-90% that Tua stays in school

I know all the talk out there about getting medical clearance and advice and I really believe that ALOT of his decision will be based on his family.  I believe they tell him to stay in school, rehab, get better, come back and show the NFL and teams that he is ready and put away fears over the injury.

I think this also has a domino effect that also has some other Juniors on the fence about going to the NFL and staying back another year.

We'll see

I'd rather be lucky than good.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 11:08:23 am »

Even if he does declare,  it doesn’t mean you are getting him.  Four teams draft before you.  And others can trade to jump in front.

The teams ahead of us are not taking him for various reasons. The Bengals are getting Burrow and the other 3 teams either drafted a QB in the first round last year or they have one signed to big money for the next few years. However, the main issue would be a team jumping ahead of us for him but I don't think that will happen. It's one thing to use your first rounder on an injured QB, it's quite another to trade a shitload of picks to draft him.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 11:36:21 am »

I actually think if he doesn't declare it simplifies things. If Tua doesn't declare then we rebuild the lines and select a QB down the line. Our lines need to be rebuilt and before we take a project QB we need to address that. I think we only draft a first round QB if we somehow could get Burrow or Tua declares and that scares me. I hate that Tua is now a "risky" pick.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 12:07:28 pm »

You can't judge a player on one game.  Not to mention I hate judging players on Bowl games, when their previous game was almost a full month earlier.

I'd love for the Dolphins to draft Herbert.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 12:10:24 pm »

That's not happening.  It's January and the guy is still on crutches, so teams aren't taking big risks, like moving up, in order to draft a player coming off an injury.  Right now I see he is projected to go somewhere in the 10-20 range, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall further.  Miami could get him with their 3rd first round pick.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 12:22:54 pm »

You can't judge a player on one game.  Not to mention I hate judging players on Bowl games, when their previous game was almost a full month earlier.

I'd love for the Dolphins to draft Herbert.
Agreed. But not at #5. I think they might be able to get him later. May have to move up from #18, but that's certainly possible. Seen a mock that had Indy taking him I believe at maybe 13? If they don't get him I'm not in love with him or anything, but certainly think he's worthy of a 1st round draft choice. He reminds me more of Ben Roethlisberger. He's a big guy and moves around pretty well for a big guy. He'll be tough to bring down in the pocket. Strong arm. Has plenty of experience. The knock on him seems to be that he locks onto receivers, but lot of college QB's do that simply because their guys are normally open and realize once they get into the NFL that's not always the case. He may develop into a franchise QB and he may not, but you run the same risk with any QB including Tua.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:30:07 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 12:22:57 pm »

I'm still not in favor of drafting a QB. There are other holes that need to be filled that I think are of a higher priority. Spots on both lines. Without a substantial O line to protect (insert the name of your dream QB here) that poor bastard will end up in concussion protocol and be chased out of town as a failure. DB, especially now with Howard being in the trouble that he's in. RB. Fitzy can obviously win games, and we have no idea what Rosen can bring to the table.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 12:29:03 pm »

Fitzy can obviously win games, and we have no idea what Rosen can bring to the table.
Fitzy would be a VERY good tutor for Herbert.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:31:43 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 12:30:29 pm »

I'm still not in favor of drafting a QB. There are other holes that need to be filled that I think are of a higher priority. Spots on both lines. Without a substantial O line to protect (insert the name of your dream QB here) that poor bastard will end up in concussion protocol and be chased out of town as a failure. DB, especially now with Howard being in the trouble that he's in. RB. Fitzy can obviously win games, and we have no idea what Rosen can bring to the table.

I agree there are other holes to fill, but we have lots of picks this year, and next; I can't remember when Miami had so many significant drafting opportunities in a two year span.  I think it's important to draft a QB this year, IF the right player is there when it's Miami's turn to pick.  Not that he would play that much in 2020, but it would be nice to have three guys competing for the job, and learning throughout the season.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray